Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

Miss Brill

One Too Many
PS said:
Ok, here it is! I have finally sewn 'something' from start to finish. As it turns out I don't know how to read a pattern! I started with a pattern and chucked it soon after.
6pewnrr.jpg
[/IMG]
I could have gotten a better picture come sun up but I just couldn't wait! I am so tickled! There is some questionable stitching but I think for my 'first' I have done okay! Many many thanks are sent to BonnieJean who pulled me out of bias tape torture!

Congrats! :eusa_clap I'm a non-sewer too, so I know it is harder than everyone makes it look.

PS

A-List Customer
Snookie said:
It's great PS! knew you could make something fab. The gathers look great - they can be so hard to get even. So what's next??

The following afternoon I did a European hem to some jeans I had never worn because the more weight I lost the closer to the ground they became. It turned out really great. But I am feeling the itch for a project...not sure though. Maybe another apron. Anyone have any recourses on reading a pattern? That is my big problem! I was going to wait to start the Butterick 4790 until I take my class next month but DH ordered me a binding foot for my machine....

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
Yesterday afternoon while I was waiting for the wash to finish I thought I would replace the fabric on my knitting basket. Small quick straightforward project right........... Well it would have been had I been able to take the frame apart. So several hours and some contortion later I finish, phew !!!

000_2356.jpg
000_2357.jpg

Sunny

One Too Many
I finally have some pictures (of so-so quality) to show some of what I've been sewing!

First, a late 1930s (1938?) two piece dress. I've already made the short sleeve version out of a seafoam-green "faux" linen. Sans belt, unfortunately; I still try to look for a prong buckle on ebay when I think of it.

DSC00550.jpg

I found the perfect length of burgandy 100% wool suiting at Joann, of all places, early in December. The skirt on this dress is fantastic, and really needs a fabric that drapes and swings, so I knew the wool was perfect.

DSC00540.jpg

My mother had just marked the hem - hence the pins. :D The skirt's still not even that long. My 6'8" brother took it, and the down angle's a bit extreme.

Since I'm a sucker for punishment I lined this one, unlike the green one. And I still made the view with buttons and loops, but with long sleeves. (Lengthened only one inch, and I'm 5'9" - and they look still too long!) For buttons, I used black glass ones that Santa gave me for Christmas in 2006. None of them match - I thought it was a perfect way to show off how lovely they are! (Buttons!) I missed a lovely black glass belt buckle on ebay; but it didn't have a prong. Does it look complete without the belt, or would a belt really finish it?

And, made for going to the Nutcracker at Bass Hall, the Butterick 1952 wrap-bodice evening dress:

DSC00529.jpg

My first experience with dupioni silk. Lovely stuff! I can't wait to work with real slub-less taffeta now.

For all those considering this pattern: It is drafted with, IMO, too much ease. I have a 28" waist and, according to the pattern envelope, should have made a size 14. Written on the pattern piece for size 12 was the actual waist measurement of 28". They added ease to a pattern that should have a fitted waist! Aagh! I made a muslin of size 12 and it worked perfectly. Incidentally, I raised the neckline V 1.5" inches - you can see the result. It is a plunge.

Snookie

Practically Family
Wow, Sunny, beautiful work! I love the buttons on your suit - what a great idea. It must take a million years to get in and out of that jacket! I usually always vote for adding a belt, but the suit's fine without one. Do the sleeve have a placket at the wrist? It looks so narrow I don't know how you get your hand through! Would love to see a back view - that peplum and extra back gores are too cute!

Nice job fitting the blue dress, too. I don't think I ever used a modern pattern that was less than two sizes smaller than my designated size. I'll never understand why they add SO MUCH ease.

Thanks for sharing!

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
WOW

I am sooooo impressed with everybody! I can only hope my first sewing adventure will turn out fine. I hope to sew a dress as soon as I am able to find time and the fabric I like.

You're all soooo talented
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I just made these pants. I was terribly overdue for making myself clothes, since I was only alternating between two pairs. They're an Advance pattern from 1938.
30sp.jpg

30sp2.jpg

anabolina

A-List Customer
Oh, look at those buttons Lauren. I love them and the pants look really great.

And, wow Sunny, just Wow. I had no idea wool draped so well.

Ya'll are so talented.

fernande

Vendor
Sunny said:
I finally have some pictures (of so-so quality) to show some of what I've been sewing!

First, a late 1930s (1938?) two piece dress. I've already made the short sleeve version out of a seafoam-green "faux" linen. Sans belt, unfortunately; I still try to look for a prong buckle on ebay when I think of it.

DSC00550.jpg

I found the perfect length of burgandy 100% wool suiting at Joann, of all places, early in December. The skirt on this dress is fantastic, and really needs a fabric that drapes and swings, so I knew the wool was perfect.

DSC00540.jpg

My mother had just marked the hem - hence the pins. :D The skirt's still not even that long. My 6'8" brother took it, and the down angle's a bit extreme.

Since I'm a sucker for punishment I lined this one, unlike the green one. And I still made the view with buttons and loops, but with long sleeves. (Lengthened only one inch, and I'm 5'9" - and they look still too long!) For buttons, I used black glass ones that Santa gave me for Christmas in 2006. None of them match - I thought it was a perfect way to show off how lovely they are! (Buttons!) I missed a lovely black glass belt buckle on ebay; but it didn't have a prong. Does it look complete without the belt, or would a belt really finish it?

And, made for going to the Nutcracker at Bass Hall, the Butterick 1952 wrap-bodice evening dress:

DSC00529.jpg

My first experience with dupioni silk. Lovely stuff! I can't wait to work with real slub-less taffeta now.

For all those considering this pattern: It is drafted with, IMO, too much ease. I have a 28" waist and, according to the pattern envelope, should have made a size 14. Written on the pattern piece for size 12 was the actual waist measurement of 28". They added ease to a pattern that should have a fitted waist! Aagh! I made a muslin of size 12 and it worked perfectly. Incidentally, I raised the neckline V 1.5" inches - you can see the result. It is a plunge.

Wow! fantastic choice of colors! great cuts. I'm impressed!

Lauren those trousers are so nice. I have a great mid 40s trouser pattern I'm just dying to work on, you've given me inspiration!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80