Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
I am really new on the forum, but when I saw your pants, Lauren, I just had to say something! They are brilliant!!

Lauren said:
I just made these pants. I was terribly overdue for making myself clothes, since I was only alternating between two pairs. They're an Advance pattern from 1938.
30sp.jpg

30sp2.jpg

On that topic, I am looking for a pant pattern like this one, are there any newer ones that resemble these? I was thinking of altering one of the high waisted pant patterns I have, I want the buttons on the side. But if I could just get a functional pattern, that would be much less effort!!

dandelion-vint

One of the Regulars
Lauren - those pants are fantastic!
Kamikat - I love the blouse and those buttons. I need to find some bulldog buttons!
Sunny, I love the blue-green suit - the color and the style. I like fitted jackets with short sleeves.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Sunny said:
Hmm, look at both of our tops - fitted closely to the waist, then flared with a curved front hem. I think we share some tastes that can't be tied to a particular decade! :D

Isn't that funny? I didn't notice the similarities until you mentioned it. I guess what flatters the female form is classic, no matter what decade :D

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Mrs. Merl said:
I am really new on the forum, but when I saw your pants, Lauren, I just had to say something! They are brilliant!!
On that topic, I am looking for a pant pattern like this one, are there any newer ones that resemble these? I was thinking of altering one of the high waisted pant patterns I have, I want the buttons on the side. But if I could just get a functional pattern, that would be much less effort!!

There are repro pants patterns floating around, plus vintage ones tend to turn up on Ebay.
If they are too high-waisted, you can alter the fit but taking an inch or two (at most) from the seat rise, on the pattern, before you cut material. In short you kinda "Fold up" a line around the seat area then reshape the edges.
In hot rod customizing, this is called "Chopping" or "Channeling"... ;)

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
Sunny said:

Sorry! :eek:fftopic: Sunny- I have that same pair of shoes! I bought them about a year ago from old stock. They're technically brand new, but I'm afraid to wear them because the leather is so hard. Did you have that problem at all?

On topic- that color is lovely on you!! I really like the cut of the bodice.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Thanks again!
Miss Meri, there's a few repros of pants floating around, the problem is they are mostly just in the original size.
The pants pattern I made I'm actually not happy with. The front is cute, but the back hangs funny. I did true it up, but I think it's a balance thing and I've frankly got to many other things going on to play with them like I should have.
I have made up these and they are by far my favorite pants pattern to date. And they are easily modifyable to be at the regular waist, just adding a waistband. I made these the way they are on the pattern (with a zipper up the side front underneath the sailor trim) and with buttons up the sides. To put on the buttons on these and the pair I just made I just added a placket at the seamline by measuring the width of the buttons plus seam allowance and 1/2" for 1/4" on either side of the buttonhole. I made them in a heavy denim with white buttons (there's a pic floating around on here in a pants thread somewhere) and also the original way in a lighter rayon blend, which were great for dancing.
I have this pattern from EvaDress but haven't tried it out yet. and here's another great one from her that's on my wish list. And here's one from 1940 that's really cute... I think I have it somewhere but don't remember.
The other two pants patterns I have I have not seen repros of, but one I did on Ebay a while back. I'll post on here if I see if pop up again. I was actually really surprised to see that there was another one out there!

Snookie

Practically Family
Lauren said:
I have made up these and they are by far my favorite pants pattern to date.

Would you say the sizing on the pattern is accurate? I'm in the mood to make some pants soon, but I don't want to bother with much re-sizing. It's listed as W 25 H 33 - too small for me, if that's true.

I might try this slacks pattern - http://www.vintagefashionlibrary.com/clothing/vfl_104.htm Pretty basic, but that's all I need.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Snookie said:
Would you say the sizing on the pattern is accurate? I'm in the mood to make some pants soon, but I don't want to bother with much re-sizing. It's listed as W 25 H 33 - too small for me, if that's true.

Yes, those are pretty much true to size. Hip is a bit bigger. I had to tweak them a little, too ;) But there's really only a front and back pant, and maybe an inside waistband so it's pretty easy.

Sunny

One Too Many
Cherry_Bombb said:
Sorry! :eek:fftopic: Sunny- I have that same pair of shoes! I bought them about a year ago from old stock. They're technically brand new, but I'm afraid to wear them because the leather is so hard. Did you have that problem at all?

On topic- that color is lovely on you!! I really like the cut of the bodice.

Thank you! And how funny to have the same pair! Mine weren't unworn, but they weren't by any means hard worn. The cream suede really isn't hard, although the lining underneath is a wee bit stiff, as is the brown strap. The non-leather binding on the edge of the vamp feels pretty hard. The stiffness/hardness, though, has never made them uncomfortable. What's difficult is that they fit WIDE. I have several vintage pairs of slingbacks and they've always been wide; my closed-heel vintage shoes fit narrow! I'm a dead-straight medium, so I know it's not my feet. So in these shoes I slide from side to side a bit and really don't put enough pressure on the leather to really break them in; but they haven't hurt my feet.

I certainly would not be afraid to wear them. They are not delicate shoes. I'd really be curious if they fit you differently than mine, though.

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
Yesterday I was all set to cut out a dress when I discovered I did'nt have enough fabric so I decided to try something I've been wanting to do for ever. These baskets and bags and purses were very popular home made craft projects in Australia in the 1950's. I have only ever seen them one place in the US and they were not for sale. So I gathered up some used christmas cards and scrap wool and went to it. I am very pleased at my first attempt and now I know how to put them together, I can't wait to try my hand at a more advanced project.

000_2392.jpg

000_2391.jpg

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
goldwyn girl said:
Yesterday I was all set to cut out a dress when I discovered I did'nt have enough fabric so I decided to try something I've been wanting to do for ever. These baskets and bags and purses were very popular home made craft projects in Australia in the 1950's. I have only ever seen them one place in the US and they were not for sale. So I gathered up some used christmas cards and scrap wool and went to it. I am very pleased at my first attempt and now I know how to put them together, I can't wait to try my hand at a more advanced project.

000_2392.jpg

000_2391.jpg

That turned out very cute. Where did you find the cards?

PS

A-List Customer
goldwyn girl said:

000_2392.jpg

000_2391.jpg

When I was little my mother had some old Christmas Tree Ornaments like that, you could open them and hide candy.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
goldwyn girl said:

Oh my gosh GG my grandmother had these in the early 1970's (they could well have dated from the 50s/60s)--I haven't thought of them in years! She also had a couple where two of the "bowls" were whipstitched together to make "globes" which she'd hang in doorways and such as decoration. Thanks for reminding me--good memories.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Sunny--thanks so much for going to the trouble to post the extra shots of your fabulous dress. It was great to see some of the construction details too. You look great.

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
PS said:
When I was little my mother had some old Christmas Tree Ornaments like that, you could open them and hide candy.

Did they look more like a box? Did some look like Santa's head and the mouth opened with the candy inside? I think my mom had those around when I was little too. Or I might be thinking of something else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sandkissed