Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
Sunny said:
I certainly would not be afraid to wear them. They are not delicate shoes. I'd really be curious if they fit you differently than mine, though.

My feet have always run narrow (from years of cramming them into toeshoes). These for some reason fit me really tightly around the ball of my foot. The "V" at the top of my foot is so new and not broken in that it digs into me, and I can't really get my foot into the toe. My heel fits fine in the strapping at the back. Also- the dye on the strap at the back is starting to crack. So I'm a little wary to wear these shoes out/ break them in because I'm afraid the stripe across the toe will crack as well. [huh] But now that I'm really looking at it- the leather/ suede does look like it would break in just fine, it seems to be the stitching around the openings that is so stiff.

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w286/cherry_bombb/DSC00772.jpg
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w286/cherry_bombb/DSC00773.jpg -Brand New!
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w286/cherry_bombb/DSC00771.jpg- Flaking off
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w286/cherry_bombb/DSC00770.jpg -I'm pressing quite hard on the stitchng!

Sorry! I promise to be on topic here from now on!! :eek:

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
RetroBabydoll said:
Did they look more like a box? Did some look like Santa's head and the mouth opened with the candy inside? I think my mom had those around when I was little too. Or I might be thinking of something else.

I think that was something else- but I just got a flashback to when I was a kid. My great-grandmother STILL makes those at Christmas for all of the kids!

Last_Chael

One of the Regulars
GG that is gorgeous!! I used to have a rectangular basket like that when I was veyr young, I used to use it as a sewing basket ;) I didn't realise they were only an Aussie thing, I've just grown up with them :p Such a great idea! Actually when I was younger, my mum bought me a few placemats that were made of cards (one was christmas but the other two were jsut pretty cards) cut into hexagons and all put together to form a larger oval shape. They were then backed with contact and laminated. they're great ways to recycle old cards!

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
RetroBabydoll, thank you, I used this years cards I received. Now I know how to make it I'll do some in vintage cards.

leaette, thanks, the photo's with this post are of some originals I have, lidded boxes and a large bakset. The basket has plastic flowers attached.

PS, I've never seen christmas ornaments, I'll have to look into that.

imoldfashioned, glad that brought back fond memories.

Cherry_Bombb, do you have any that your grandmother made?

Last_Chael, I guess when we see them all the time we don't really think about it. I've only ever been able to buy them in Australia and when I'm at home I'm always looking for them.

Some of my 50's ones

000_2396.jpg

000_2397.jpg

000_2399.jpg

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
000_2396.jpg

000_2397.jpg

000_2399.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Is there a layer to protect the cards? Looks like the purse has some plastic on top. I'm curious because I want to try making some too. Love the purse!!!

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
goldwyngirl-i do have some somewhere in my house. The problem is, I moved right before Christmas and a lot of my stuff is still packed. I'm going to start digging though!

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
The whole shebang in action.

The costume out at the Con.

DocRedfield & me. This is before my hair died. Thanks rain!
l_3b1d67554a8eade6c039d9ad422b51bd.jpg

Forget the mutant power, I will kill you with my boots.

After my hair died. :(
l_5ce670619f13b33c7d388889ae96a31e.jpg

Sunny

One Too Many
Cherry_Bombb said:
My feet have always run narrow (from years of cramming them into toeshoes). These for some reason fit me really tightly around the ball of my foot. The "V" at the top of my foot is so new and not broken in that it digs into me, and I can't really get my foot into the toe. My heel fits fine in the strapping at the back. Also- the dye on the strap at the back is starting to crack. So I'm a little wary to wear these shoes out/ break them in because I'm afraid the stripe across the toe will crack as well. [huh] But now that I'm really looking at it- the leather/ suede does look like it would break in just fine, it seems to be the stitching around the openings that is so stiff.

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w286/cherry_bombb/DSC00772.jpg
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w286/cherry_bombb/DSC00773.jpg -Brand New!
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w286/cherry_bombb/DSC00771.jpg- Flaking off
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w286/cherry_bombb/DSC00770.jpg -I'm pressing quite hard on the stitchng!

Sorry! I promise to be on topic here from now on!! :eek:

That is crazy! They must really break in well, since mine are pretty soft just about everywhere. When I press where you do in the last one, the outside edge collapses as easy as anything. (The left is stiffer, but not unusually so.) The back straps on mine are also fairly soft. One has a nick where the leather's come off completely, but that was an accident apparently and not normal wear. The only place where the color's flaking off is on the narrow strip of cream leather just inside the opening. Maybe mine were originally bought and worn by a woman with wider feet - she did the hard work of breaking them in and stretched them out a little sideways to boot. They're not as wide as I remember them being; actually pretty comparable to a modern medium width. I slide around in them just a bit, like I do in my modern Naturalizers.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Lauren those pants and blouse are so wonderful, they look like you literally pulled them out of a vintage closet!!

PINK.. LOVE THE HAIR!! Cool outfit too, well done! You really remind me of Drew Barrymoore in that last pic!

Lady Day your purse restoration is fabulous. Love the red lining and the black wool brings out the hardware on the purse more. Awesome site too, darling artwork!

Goldwyn those card baskets are TOO cute! What a great idea. That rose purse is amazing.

Sunny, lovely outfits. Love the pic of you turning!
Nikki

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Here's some info on the blue gingham dress. The bodice is from the top of Butterick 7552, view B. I cut the bodice off just under the bust and turned the darts into gathers. The skirt is from Simplicity 3673.
2221565331_88039f6b77.jpg

2227806853_e619967465.jpg

3673.jpg

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Thanks GG & Nikki!

Hopefully I am not inundating you with this costume but I am just so proud of it. DocRedfield was kind enough to shoot a pretty snappy full length:

l_fded8118a8652df5f87149da3e5e40e8.jpg

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Pink Dahlia said:
Thanks GG & Nikki!

Hopefully I am not inundating you with this costume but I am just so proud of it. DocRedfield was kind enough to shoot a pretty snappy full length:

l_fded8118a8652df5f87149da3e5e40e8.jpg

You look fabulous Pink--love the boots too!

Mojito

One Too Many
I love that Rogue costume - it's a great interpretation! It brings back many happy memories of reading the X-Men back in the 80s - I'm glad she's evidently back to something like the original costume. Those X-Men comics are still around here somewhere, bagged in their little acid-proof setups! Did you die the stripes or use hairpieces?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou