Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
OT: Lady Day, I LOVE the article about grading your pattern from your website! Very informative and the pics help!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
hotrod_elf said:
Did you change the arm area? I couldn't tell.

I did, but the gathers around the front bust, and with the overall tent aspect of the dress, I would have been better off not grading at all.

If I try it again, I may just make it from the original (copy) of the pattern.

Oh, and Kamikat, thanks :)

LD

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Pink Dahlia said:
Wow, thanks ladies!

And to answer your question Mo, I dyed it. :D And because of that, Wil Wheaton told me I had serious dedication to cosplay.

My boyfriend talks to Wil occasionally online, but he has always been too shy to tell him that once, in a Star Trek restaurant in Las Vegas, he had a drink called Wesley's Crush lol

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Okay so I started this yesterday and finished today. (I actually do make vintage clothes!)

l_8698240e5991a9fd3b9053ab7179f464.jpg

(Thems is the FarylRobins on my feets!)

Close up of the bodice. It's hard to see but it has a darling yoke.
l_b0ea7647976718628ce67607ec78bafe.jpg

I just need to make a belt.

And finally the pattern. This is by far the most tattered pattern I've ever worked with. I tried so hard to keep it in tact but I ended up ripping a tiny piece. :( Anyway, I like to think that whoever the original owner was loved the pattern so much she made many dresses with it. :)
l_e6f9fcc851e599b67aae11b1f8d0f49e.jpg

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
ShooShooBaby said:
ahem, what i MEANT was i want to see pictures of you in it, with your hair did, posed in sassy poses. sorry the rest of that got cut off :p

lol

Well I really wanted to wear it this week with my hair did. However, it's raining cats and dogs here and it's unlikely that anything besides pants will be appearing outside my house. But I'll get some pics up when I do the belt.

Miss Brill

One Too Many
While going through some of my late grandmother's packaways, I found a 12" by 1" strip of vintage velvet in the most beautiful shade of green. It is all hemmed, and I assume it is from a dress, and I would like to use it, because the green is so pretty, but I don't know what to use it for, any ideas? I don't want to cut it, and it is too short to make a choker, but I don't know what else I could make.

Snookie

Practically Family
Miss Brill, maybe you could tie it in a bow and make a hair ornament or a pin (broach)? It would probably crush the nap, though. I'm sure someone else has a better idea.

Pink, nice job! I love shirtwaists. That'll be a lovely dress in the springtime. (And by springtime, I mean, when it stops raining.) Does the pattern give a dress and a blouse/skirt option, or are both views dresses? I love the idea of making a mock skirt/blouse combo - I hate having my blouse come untucked!

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Snookie said:
Pink, nice job! I love shirtwaists. That'll be a lovely dress in the springtime. (And by springtime, I mean, when it stops raining.) Does the pattern give a dress and a blouse/skirt option, or are both views dresses? I love the idea of making a mock skirt/blouse combo - I hate having my blouse come untucked!

Thank you! I think I love them now too, so simple to make! As far as I know both views are dresses.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
Snookie said:
I love the idea of making a mock skirt/blouse combo - I hate having my blouse come untucked!

snookie, something similar i found the other day was a 50's button-back blouse with a connected skirt-slip. i bought it for resell and it doesn't fit, so i can't attest to how well it would work, but it seems like it would do the trick to keep the blouse tucked in!

Trickeration

Practically Family
I love looking at what you all have made. It makes me really wish I could sew. But for all the crafty things I can do, sewing is NOT one of them.

However, I did help and have some design input on this dress. My daughter's school had "foil day" a couple of months ago, where kids were supposed to wear things made out of foil. Usually, they cover their hat or shoes with foil or make foil jewelery. We went for over the top. It's actually made out an emergency blanket and black duct tape.

The next pic is one of the regular dresses she made. She makes a lot of her own clothes. She's 16, in case anyone is wondering, and I'm so glad she's learned to sew. It's really becoming a lost art.
dsc01140mb5.jpg
dsc01142wo4.jpg

dsc01137ja0.jpg

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Miss Retro
Fleur
Joie

Thank you!

And Miss Retro I taught myself last summer. A couple people gave me verbal help but I didn't really learn anything until I just got right in there and did it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany