Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

Helysoune

One of the Regulars
SayCici said:
Helysoune, it doesn't look right in what way? Like, period, or as a 50s dress? Good on you for sewing without a pattern!

Thank you! And yeah, I'm just not feeling anything 40s about it, but then again period maternity patterns are hard to come by. Maybe I'm just being picky? [huh]

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I spent a day fixing some of my already made projects; letting down a hem on a dress, a pair of slacks, and shortening the sleeves on a couple of items. These are things that have been in my 'to fix' pile for ages, and now I can wear them. Its like having new clothes :)

LD

tempestbella42

One of the Regulars
Lady Day said:
I spent a day fixing some of my already made projects; letting down a hem on a dress, a pair of slacks, and shortening the sleeves on a couple of items. These are things that have been in my 'to fix' pile for ages, and now I can wear them. Its like having new clothes :)

LD

ive slowly been doing this as well as clearing my closet of "what was i thinking" and "need to be reborn to fit into!!" clothes then ive 4 crates of material(some ive had 20yrs11:eusa_doh: )and hundreds of patterns to create my new wardobe!! (gonna do the swap idea i found on here!! thanx girls.)
my first "stable i finished and quite pleased with...its a chiffon and net circular petticoat, i didnt use a pattern and i cannt get the pics downloaded at the mo!!!:eusa_doh: :eusa_doh:

ill do as soon as i work it out!:)

Shirin

A-List Customer
Petticoat without a pattern?! How in the world did you manage that? I wish my sewing skills were that far along. I can make something from a pattern, but without and whatever was intended just always ends up looking like a fabric monster.

Inky

One Too Many
Finally a finished project - my skirt made from a vintage border fabric - red with hoedown dancers and little yellow and blue milking stools. No pattern used, I just used exactly the length I had, cut off enough for a waistband and to make the finished skirt 26 inches long. Then I pleated the skirt into the waistband evenly front and back at the hips (3 pleats per side) and inserted a lapped zipper, and a blue vintage button at the waistband.

I love how it turned out! Now I have two border print dancer skirts, and the cowboy saloon border fabric to make a third. yeehaw! (i am still searching for the holy grail of border fabrics - something atomic or space/rocket themed!)

3671540083_199aa5726d.jpg

SayCici

Practically Family
I have too many projects piling up!

I saw this dress and swooned, unfortunately it had been reserved for someone else:
24awykm.jpg

So I decided to buy this pattern:
il_430xN.76604912.jpg

... It just dawned on me they're not at all similar! lol And the sizing is off.. uh, guess I got carried away. I'm sure something else will come along!

Rachael

A-List Customer
oh, I just adore that dress! stripes can be so very much fun. I assume the bodice detailing was accomplished with darts?

This is my latest, it's based on a 1921 catalogue- the skirt from one page and the blouse from another. The original showed the blouse as one piece with a mock front, but I like to be versatile so I made a camisole/bolero combo. I had to buy the bolt, so expect to see that embroidered cotton again :rolleyes:

3662263297_3d811a1847.jpg

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Rachael said:
That is gorgeous. What a perfect outfit, the hat and shoes and everything!

You could also make a jacket out of the skirt material and have a suit, maybe with lots of frogs and braid detail... we can certainly stand to see more of that beautiful fabric!

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Wow. I love this thread!

Inky = Haha! Fab fabric!
Rachael = I've never seen an early 1920s outfit look so authentic and well put together in this century! I love it!!

Rachael

A-List Customer
I love that rocket fabric! Trying to figure out a reason why I just need to have some, but I'll behave. The shelves are literally overflowing as it is. but I sure could use a few more skirts.... ;)

the 1921 ensemble was a lot of fun and a lot of frustration; I'm really pleased that it turned out and appreciate your kind words. By the end, I swore I would never ever again sew without a pattern. Then I started in on my newest mid-19thc project. No pattern. I never learn.

Now that I have the ensemble back, I can get some better detail photos and post it on my blog. It was made for a car club fashion show and I was unable to make the second day so I left my pieces to be worn by another model. I fell in love with some great vintage buttons that I used but am afraid they disappear on the skirt.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Lauren said:
AmyJeanne, is your icon from Whoopee?

YUP! And that is "The Girl With The Black Bob" Mildred Dixon. I love her.

5093_97687049163_624014163_2042012_6313287_n.jpg

5132_93645694163_624014163_1978410_5762601_n.jpg

All I have to say about this pattern is: GRRRRRRRRR! :rage: :rage: :rage:
But I'm glad it looks ok and fits fine.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
AmyJeanne, I thought so! I LOVE that movie!
Great job on that dress! I've never had much luck with the re-released vintage patterns but yours looks cute!

MarieAnne

Practically Family
Amy Jeanne said:
5132_93645694163_624014163_1978410_5762601_n.jpg

All I have to say about this pattern is: GRRRRRRRRR! :rage: :rage: :rage:
But I'm glad it looks ok and fits fine.

Your dress turned out beautiful! But why are you so mad at the pattern?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot