Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

jkingrph

Practically Family
That's a lovely Smith. I do admit to thinking that the .44 mag is more than I want to shoot but the gun is super.

Pretty, wish I had gotten one while they still made the square butt and nice grips.

I have a little Smith 342, ti Lite, scandium alloy frame and barrel shroud, titanium cylinder, DAO 5 shot j frame, that only weighs 10.8 oz. Honestly that Mod 29 is much more comfortable to shoot than that little .38 Spc.

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Pretty, wish I had gotten one while they still made the square butt and nice grips.

I have a little Smith 342, ti Lite, scandium alloy frame and barrel shroud, titanium cylinder, DAO 5 shot j frame, that only weighs 10.8 oz. Honestly that Mod 29 is much more comfortable to shoot than that little .38 Spc.

Yup, my alloy frame 642 is a rowdy lil beast and it weighs a couple more ounces than yours. Those N frames with full grips are much nicer to shoot.

TPD166

One Too Many
Yup, my alloy frame 642 is a rowdy lil beast and it weighs a couple more ounces than yours. Those N frames with full grips are much nicer to shoot.

I carried and qualified with a Model 60 for years, and it was nice to shoot, but my current 642 is exactly as you describe - a beast. My off-duty/back-up is now a 3" 1911 in .45 ACP - ten times more pleasant to shoot than the 642. And from what I remember, .44Mag is nicer than the 642.

TPD166

One Too Many
The Kimber Pro carry II has been here before, but is included again today with a couple of holster success stories. Since it has become an EDC pistol, I found I had few Commander-size holsters. Government model leather works fine, but is a little long. So this weekend I hit the jackpot:

First, a vintage floral-carved Tom Threepersons that I would swear was from El Paso Saddlery or S.D. Myres, but has no maker’s mark. I suspect it was made for a 5” 1911, but the barrel peeks out a little, so maybe it was for a Commander? I won’t say what I paid for it, but I got change back from a $10 bill!

The second was an experiment with a NOS Bianchi made for an S&W 9mm. Back in the ‘80s I stretched a thumbsnap Bianchi to fit an S&W Model 59, so I wanted to try that in reverse. As I suspected, the strap was too long for a Commander. I removed the rivet, cut the strap, and re-attached it with a Chicago screw and it works perfectly. If anyone needs a Commander holster, vintage S&W 9mm (39, 59, etc.) holsters are much cheaper than 1911 leather these day.

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Thanks for the holster tip, I will file that away! Also, for a Commander, the Bianchi Pistol Pocket is super comfortable. I have used one for years, thick soft leather really helps from the barrel prodding your side.

TPD166

One Too Many
It's really Bianchi's version of a Tom Threepersons holster (very minor differences) & they are incredibly comfortable to wear.

Thanks for the holster tip, I will file that away! Also, for a Commander, the Bianchi Pistol Pocket is super comfortable. I have used one for years, thick soft leather really helps from the barrel prodding your side.

jkingrph

Practically Family
One more agreement on the recoil issue: My Airweight Chief's Special with plain .38's hurts a lot worse than a Model 29 with factory .44 Mags.
Glad to see some others feel the same way. I actually placed an order for a little Sig P 238 .380ACP today. It is basically a miniature 1911, lacking only the grip safety. They make a Model 938 in 9mm but those are currently not available , and only difference in the 380 is 0.4" in barrel length and 1 oz in weight, smaller than my 342 but about 6 oz heavier so it should be nice. Folks on some of the firearms forums say it is extremely soft recoiling. As soon as I find a 9mm will get one of those, do some practice and drills with the .380 and carry the 9.

jkingrph

Practically Family
The Kimber Pro carry II has been here before, but is included again today with a couple of holster success stories. Since it has become an EDC pistol, I found I had few Commander-size holsters. Government model leather works fine, but is a little long. So this weekend I hit the jackpot:

First, a vintage floral-carved Tom Threepersons that I would swear was from El Paso Saddlery or S.D. Myres, but has no maker’s mark. I suspect it was made for a 5” 1911, but the barrel peeks out a little, so maybe it was for a Commander? I won’t say what I paid for it, but I got change back from a $10 bill!

The second was an experiment with a NOS Bianchi made for an S&W 9mm. Back in the ‘80s I stretched a thumbsnap Bianchi to fit an S&W Model 59, so I wanted to try that in reverse. As I suspected, the strap was too long for a Commander. I removed the rivet, cut the strap, and re-attached it with a Chicago screw and it works perfectly. If anyone needs a Commander holster, vintage S&W 9mm (39, 59, etc.) holsters are much cheaper than 1911 leather these day.
I have one like the first, only with a basketweave pattern that I had El Paso make up for me about 25 years ago for a Browning HP. My full size 1911 fits fine as does my S&W M 41 with a short field barrel.

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Well I made a trade today for a Savage 1907 in .32. Can't pick it up til Friday though thanks to Illinois' 3 day waiting period..........grumbles. Oh and a Remington Model 10 shotgun too.

Well I made a trade today for a Savage 1907 in .32. Can't pick it up til Friday though thanks to Illinois' 3 day waiting period..........grumbles. Oh and a Remington Model 10 shotgun too.
I feel your pain on that one. I bought a Ruger SP101 Wednesday night and had to wait till Sunday to pick it up because the gun store was closed on Saturday night when the 3 day (72 hrs) was up. I like the SP101 but the double action pull is really high (worse than my Taurus 65). But I bought it for its reputation of being a nearly indestructible "J frame" revolver. Although I don't think I'll shoot anything higher than 38 +P in it.

RJR

Congrats,you "stole"that Threepersons!

EngProf

Practically Family
I have a Savage .32 auto which has the disconcerting and dangerous habit of dropping the hammer at full speed when the safety is disengaged.
Fortunately I found that out while testing, not while shooting.
You may want to approach yours cautiously, just in case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot