Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Pedigree! The Heritage Thread.

Thursby

New in Town
English with some Irish from my father and English with some Scottish from my mother. My wife is german-italian-native american, so some intersting family history when we have kids.

InspectorMorse

One of the Regulars
English English English English ...of course!

God Save The Queen!

British%20Flag.jpg

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Tony in Tarzana said:
I lived in Hawaii for many years, and there are a lot of people of Portugese ancestry there. I read that they were brought from the island of Madeira in the 19th century to work the sugar cane fields.

You can check out some of that history here: http://www.islander-magazine.com/port.html

That is an interesting article. My great grandfather went to Hawaii from Andalusia, Spain in 1908 onboard the S.S. Heliopolous. It had 800 Spanairds and Portguese on it. It went down around the Cape Horn and up to Honolulu.

Caledonia

Practically Family
Pretty much Scottish, although on one side (can't remember which) we're supposed to have nipped round the coast to Ireland from France during the revolution, so there's a touch of French then a tad of Irish in the background somewhere. Why we were on the run is anyone's guess, but nobody's come knocking on the door offering me the French throne, yet.

Roger

A-List Customer
Tony;
That was quite an interesting article. My grandfather's two brothers and a sister emigrated from Madeira to Hawaii. He stayed back and then my father emigrated with us to Rhode Island. The article is true. Except that part about the man giving the wife the check but ruling the house.lol If he gave her the check she ruled the house.lol Since I'm temporarily in San Francisco Bay there are a lot of Portuguese here also. I've sample some of their linguisa and it is superb.lol Yes, us Portuguese to have the gift of gab. We love to talk and talk and talk.

katiemakeup

Practically Family
There is adoption on both sides of my grandparents, but I know I am mostly German & Irish with a little french & English thrown in.

raiderrescuer

One of the Regulars
Pedigree...

Dad's side: Russian, German, Swiss, Irish
Mom's side: English, Irish, Scotch, Dutch

If you ask my Dad (Born in the late 30's) I am "American"
If you ask my Mom (Born in the early 40's) "Melting Pot"

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
Ukrainian Jew by my Dad. Slovakian Eastern Orthodox by my Mom.

I've never seen the two families collide. Dad's from Chicago and Mom's from Connecticut. Makes me wonder...

Rosie

One Too Many
I can trace my dad's ancestors to pre-emancipation census, not sure where they originally came from but, on my dad's side, mostly Black African, English, and Peedee. On my mom's side they were free longer and are mostly English, Irish, Black African and Cherokee.

Elaina

One Too Many
German, Irish and Dutch. Second generation American on my Dad's side, 3rd on my Mom's...although we have an interesting history dealing with the Civil wa. Married a second gen greek, but only by a few days, his father was born in US waters.

Dad was dutch, mom was the rest.

Elaina

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Lincsong said:
No Melungeon's around this place?[huh]

I might be melungeon. My maternal grandmother's family is in the melungeon DNA project. That family claims that they came to the US via England, but after fleeing the Spanish Inquisition and that they are converted Jews.

I took a genetic test and came out 6% Sub-Saharan African, which kinda surprised me since I am supposedly about 6% Native American (from the same "melungeon" great-grandfather). Plus melungeons are supposed to have small feet and mine are HUGE.

All the same my mom tans a color not normally found on "white" folk. I don't tan at all.

Oh yeah the other stuff, I have a family tree that literally goes back to Adam and Eve if you believe everything you read on genealogy sites (which I don't BTW). I am part English (including folks that came over on the Mayflower, plus my mom's family were Barons until about 50 years before they came to America), German, Swiss, French, Welsh, Irish, Scottish, Norwegian, Dutch, plus a smidgen of Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Egyptian, Persian, Russian and God only knows what else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21