Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Pedigree! The Heritage Thread.

decodoll

Practically Family
BellyTank said:
I love meat pies too but we don't have anything like them here in Denmark...
Shame.

B
T

The meat pies are from the English side. ;)

And as to white chocolate being counted as chocolate...I should hope not!!!:eek:

PrettyBigGuy

A-List Customer
Pedigree: 100% Polish. Both sets of great-grandparents emigrated.
One set of them came from region near the German border and that territory's ownership had been disputed over, so for a long time we thought that we were part German. My family has since decided that they were just in denial though. Sorry, Kat!:p
PBG

JustJen

Familiar Face
- My mom's Mexican (my grandfather came to the U.S. when he was 3).

- My maternal grandmother is Scotch/Irish (apparently they were here during the Revolutionary War) and German.

- My paternal grandfather is Swedish by adoption. Their (my maiden) name was Sjostrom. It was changed when they came into Ellis Island to Seastrum. We're pretty sure he was born of Danish parents.

Interesting fact: My dad claims that my grandfather's uncle is of silent movie fame. The "uncle" is Victor Lawrence Sjostrom. My grandfather was supposedly named after him as Lawrence Victor. I only found this out at age 16 when I was looking through an old MGM movie book and saw our name in it. I've tried to research it but looks like there's not much info on the web.

- My husband is 100% German on both his mom and dad's side. All farmers as far back as they know and still are up in Iowa.

So I'm pretty much a mutt mixture.

Magus

Practically Family
I am Irish and English from my mother's side. Grandfather Mellon (blacklisted line of THE Mellon family...so we didn't get the $$$$$$$$$$$$....) Bellamy From Grandmother (There is a "Bellamy Key" is the Caribbean where the crew mutinied and hung the Pirate Captain Bellamy for being too much of a hard case)

My Father's side is Irish as well and came over with the Normans with William the ba***rd (before the battle) / William the Conqueror (after the Battle). Then to America in the 1700's

Mostly Irish then.

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mom was born in the last years of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, her maiden name was from Slovakia, near as I can figure. Dad was born in England, Scots-Irish extraction.

Me, I'm an American. Tried to learn German and took three years of French in high school, but I guess I don't have an ear for it, so all I speak is English, capische?

Steve

Practically Family
On my father's side, we're British, going back to to 1773-4 during the pre-war unrest in the colonies. My grandfather traced our ancestry to a Captain Benjamin Merrel, who was hung, drawn and quartered, beheaded, and his bowels burned for allowing patriots to escape through his land after a skirmish with the British.

On my mother's side, we're a mixture of Scotch-Irish, German, and several other European countries. My great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandfather was Andrew Jackson.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
On my father's side, we're British, going back to to 1773-4 during the pre-war unrest in the colonies. My grandfather traced our ancestry to a Captain Benjamin Merrel, who was hung, drawn and quartered, beheaded, and his bowels burned for allowing patriots to escape through his land after a skirmish with the British.

So that's what the Founding Fathers had in mind when they wrote the prohibition on cruel and unusual punishment.:eusa_doh:

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't know much about my mother's side apart from them being of English descent, but my Dad's side has a wealth of history to it.

My paternal grandfather emigrated from Halifax in West Yorkshire to Australia via New Zealand, where Dad was born in 1925. He settled here when Dad was about 3 years old. My Grandfather always told my Dad that the family had a knight in its history somewhere. My research into the family (my surname is Pudsey) has yielded some interesting details.

The Domesday book of 1086 mentions a town called Podeschesaie in the Anglo Saxon language. When the Normans conquered Angleland, they took the names of the towns they captured. So my oldest ancestor Gallicised Podeschesaie to take the name Pagan de Pudsey, or in the English, of Podesay. So my apparent makeup is a mixture of Viking-French (Norman) and Anglo-Saxon owven together through the last 940 years.

I've got a few characters listed in the family history, but I still reckon Steve's Captain Merrel rates the most incredible family record!

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
I'm a Mutt

My maternal grandmother's side is Scottish and/or Irish, the name being Kendrick.

My maternal grandfather was the son of immigrants from Sweden and Norway, named Carlson.

My paternal grandmother's family is almost entirely Cherokee Indian.

My paternal grandfather's family is French, but we don't know many details, there were Huguenots somewhere.

Katt in Hat

A-List Customer
We've been everywhere, Man...We've been everywhere...

God's promise to bless the whole world through Abraham's descendants. Furthermore, the Covenant established with Israel through the promise made to Abraham (22:15 - 18). :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points