Show us your photography

Discussion in 'The Display Case' started by avedwards, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Hagwood

Hagwood One Too Many

Man-Bun Alert !!!

ABF30368-172A-41BC-9723-6BB0BDA4391B.jpeg

Killick, Zombie_61 and Blare like this.
  2. Hagwood

Hagwood One Too Many

The Goldfinches finally made it down to TX for the winter. Kinda late this year. They always eat me out of house and home, but we enjoy watching and photographing them. Hopefully I can get some better pics later.

E7039B58-0D4E-401A-AF17-829CC83DDFAE.jpeg

And Kitty enjoys watching them.

D454614C-E5DA-4F6F-A250-B94074571868.jpeg

3. Hagwood

Hagwood One Too Many

Walked out the front door yesterday morning to the big Cooper’s Hawk sitting in a front yard tree. Wish I would have had the big camera out there, but got this with the phone

3432DA45-517A-4C19-B419-11D1FD014686.jpeg

Did get a really good one of him farther off with the camera and 400mm earlier in the Summer:

9FB58C52-6433-4451-8559-1F562BDF4A0D.jpeg

4. Blare

Blare One Too Many

Excellent Tim

Best,
    Joe

——— EVERY Day is HAT Day!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Zombie_61 likes this.
  5. Killick

Killick One of the Regulars

6. Bushman

Bushman My Mail is Forwarded Here

Man, I need to get my camera and my big lens out one of these days I have off and just sit at the kitchen table and wait patiently whilst staring out the back door. Work has had me so busy lately I've hardly had time to pick up my camera at all.

Poor little garden gargoyle looks miserable. Remember, if you're cold, they're cold. Bring them inside.

7. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

Snapshots taken while inspecting my county:

7DA5F1FE-EBD6-4559-A0A8-E06F934E64F8.jpeg 7E6455D2-FD5D-4DB6-95FD-A621C9BA10FF.jpeg 45FC2F22-118C-402C-978E-1C491F27BD9D.jpeg 4FEB3238-EB7C-4F73-98C6-AF8949A9B54C.jpeg 7B033F56-9CAD-4EAC-975B-B878197658EA.jpeg 11171B92-667F-44AA-9501-3BFAC7060174.jpeg

Blare, MisterCairo, Bushman and 3 others like this.
  8. Todd Harrington

Todd Harrington New in Town

Couple of Temperance League.jpg OBV - Buffalo Hunter web.jpg tintypes I shot last year

9. Woodtroll

Woodtroll Practically Family

Interesting "photos" - thanks for sharing!

I know nothing about the tintype process, so I'm curious why the bottom image is a "mirror" or "reverse" image judging by the Sharps carbine, while the top image with the signs obviously is not. What is the difference, please? I remember some debate about an image of Billy the Kid that turned out to be a reversed image, as well. Just curious...

Zombie_61 likes this.
  10. Todd Harrington

Great question. Wet-plate collodion positive images are reversed because the sensitized plate (blackened tin or glass) takes the direct image. It’s not a negative process where you would then print out. It’s like looking in the mirror.

hope that helps.

Zombie_61 and Hurricane Jack like this.
  11. These are not mine but we have a group that has been looking for someone who can do it. Is there any kind of digital post processing that can at least approach the results?

IMG_4953.JPG

IMG_3226.jpg

IMG_3211.jpg

MisterCairo and Zombie_61 like this.
  12. Todd Harrington

Well the difficulty with replicating this process digitally is that nearly all 19th C photographic processes (daguerreotype, wet-plate collodion, silver gelatin dry plate,etc) are essentially color blind and “see” color differently than modern film. They see in the blue end of the spectrum and are blind to reds. Hence reds and yellows tend to show dark, blues show light. Foliage looks odd as well and it is almost unheard of to register clouds.

While I’ve seen some digital techniques that can kinda/sorta come close, they don’t get it right because of the above. Most digital apps simply add imperfection artifacts to make the image look “ole timey” which is not how original images of the day would have appeared when new.

Many folks are doing this process now. Where are you located?

Zombie_61 likes this.
  13. Western Missouri. We are or were on the list of the guy out west who travels with the cameras & trailer full of chemicals for his darkroom. I don't recall his name or whether it's deguerretype or ambrotype that he does. But it's been a couple of yrs now & he hasn't been back this way.

On another topic, is there any good digital software or an app for Sepia tone processing?

14. Todd Harrington

99% certainty it’s wet-plate collodion and not daguerreotype. Very different and extremely difficult process to master.

if you want to message my privately with your contact info I can put you in touch with a couple of artists in your area.

As to apps, photoshop can do it and I believe there is an iPhone app that can approximate. I don’t need to use them (duh) so I’m probably not the best one to ask.

Hurricane Jack likes this.
  15. Bushman

Bushman My Mail is Forwarded Here

Some recent work:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hagwood and MisterCairo like this.
  16. 20200213_082501.jpg

Hagwood, Zombie_61 and Bushman like this.
  17. HanauMan

HanauMan Practically Family

IMG_4224.JPG

Hagwood, MisterCairo, Bushman and 2 others like this.
  18. HanauMan

HanauMan Practically Family

IMG_4327.JPG

Hagwood, Blare, MisterCairo and 2 others like this.
  19. Doctor Strange

Doctor Strange I'll Lock Up

Interesting to see the tintype images above. A little tintype portrait studio just opened down the street from me here (Beacon, NY) and I've become friends with the owner - we old-school photographers have to stick together!

Speaking of which, here are a couple of FILM images I shot two weeks ago. Classic Olympus OM-2 with 100mm lens, good old Tri-X developed in D-76 1:1... then I scanned the negatives, I don't shoot enough film to justify setting up a wet-print darkroom at this point (though I have everything for it, including an awesome Omega D-3 autofocus enlarger).

OM2Beacon9.jpg
    OM2Beacon10.jpg

20. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

Just a quick snap after leaving the gym last night.

I title this "4th Canadian Division Garrison Petawawa Gym Parking Lot Sunset". Kinda catchy...

sunset.jpg

Hagwood, Trenchfriend and Zombie_61 like this.