Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Pipes

Edward

Bartender
Remember this pipe?

IMGP3681.jpg

Well, following a lot of polish and patience, it now looks like this:

IMGP3933.jpg

I have also acquired two new 'estate' pipes from eBay. The first is this Falcon Alco Universal:

IMGP3934.jpg

This is my first filtered pipe. A wholly different smoking experience, requiring much more puff. Enjoyable, though not one I'll be using in a Pipeathon event anytime soon. I'm keeping an eye out for a deal or two on some other Falcons, especially the original straight Falcon design, as first made in 1936 and released to the commercial market in 1940. The utilitarian nature of the design really appeals to me. I'm also keen to add one with a meerscham lined bowl to my collection.

The second 'new' pipe is this unbranded beauty:

IMGP3935.jpg

IMGP3936.jpg

A nice smoke, the bowl on this one is a third to a half the size of all my other pipes, making this more of a quick puff pipe. No idea of age, but I suspect older than my other pipes.

Tiller

Practically Family
Edward said:
Well, my polish compounds arrived this morning, so that's part of the weekend taken care of... My Bonds of Oxford Streef tobaccos arrived today (both labelled, in big letters, "Smoking Kills!" and "Smoking is highly addictive, don't start!"... but, you know, I laugh at death. In rather a more sedate fashion than those extreme sports fellows, it's true, but still... lol). 50gs of Sweet Peach and 50gs of Black Cherry. Both smell very nice indeed. Looknig at the physical quantity, I'm estimating at least ten fills out of each bag, which already renders the pipe a much cheaper operation than a decent cigar.

I've always felt bad for your English Chaps in that regard. Here you have a beauitful tin, with a great piece of pop art on it, and some puritan has to ruin it. Can you pell off the SMOKING KILLS!!!!!!, part? I'd probably cut it off is I had to. lol

Meerschaum – Question regarding value??

Meerschaum – Question regarding value??

I bought this Abe Lincoln Meerschaum pipe new back around 1986. I paid a decent dollar for it at the time. I only ever smoked it a few times and put it away. It is in really nice condition. I don't know who made it, but it is numbered 56 where the stem meets the stummel. Below are some pictures.

I don’t know much about these pipes and thought to ask on the Lounge. I’m considering selling it and would like to know if anyone can tell me what would be a fair price to a Lounger and also, what do you think it would fetch on E-bay?

I still smoke a pipe on occasion but smoke from freehanded Briars that I made myself. I may wish to part with the Lincoln Meerschaum; any help is appreciated on the subject. Shoot me a PM if you can give me some advice.

Thanks guys.
036.jpg

032.jpg

029.jpg

009-1.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Tiller said:
I've always felt bad for your English Chaps in that regard. Here you have a beauitful tin, with a great piece of pop art on it, and some puritan has to ruin it. Can you pell off the SMOKING KILLS!!!!!!, part? I'd probably cut it off is I had to. lol

Ah, these are in plastic pouches, not tins. I transfer it for use into a nice tin I have. TBH, the warnings don't bother me anyhow - if anything, they're a nice reminder not to over-indulge for the good of my own health. I'm only a recreational pipe smoker; if it ever threatens to be becoming habit, I'll give up.

Tiller

Practically Family
Edward said:
Ah, these are in plastic pouches, not tins. I transfer it for use into a nice tin I have. TBH, the warnings don't bother me anyhow - if anything, they're a nice reminder not to over-indulge for the good of my own health. I'm only a recreational pipe smoker; if it ever threatens to be becoming habit, I'll give up.

It's the collector in me. I've bought tins just because of the beauitful designs on the outside lol, so any huge "warning" the would ruin them would annoy me to no end :rage:. Maybe it's the smartass in me, but I've never understood how anyone could imagine that dealing with any kind of smoke is "healthy", although I believe it has been shown that it effects some people much less then others. Still things the require fire to work, tend to be dangerous lol.

The idea that big brother has to remind me everytime I buy tobacco that it is dangerous is just annoying, plus it reminds me of when I was about seven years old when my mother would yell at me to put my jacket on.... when I was already wearing it lol :p.

Edward

Bartender
So, recently I picked up another pipe on Ebay, for buttons - a French-made, metal-stemmed affair. Very similar to a Falcon. I've not had a chance to clean it up yet. I was debating whether it might need a new bowl in the future, but drawing a blank as to whether those are available. Anyone know? Must try and see if a Falcon bowl fits it...

Tiller said:
The idea that big brother has to remind me everytime I buy tobacco that it is dangerous is just annoying, plus it reminds me of when I was about seven years old when my mother would yell at me to put my jacket on.... when I was already wearing it lol :p.

I suppose it's a hangover from the days when there was much less awareness of the potential health risks of tobacco - there was a time when surgeons appeared in television adverts for cigarettes.... That and many tobacco companies for long enough pulled all kinds of underhand stunts to try and keep people smoking. [huh]

I think it can lead to some creativity, actually - I've never been a cigarette smoker, but I remember being quite taken with the ads for the Death Cigarettes brand - a brand which sold in the UK back in the 90s. Their whole advertising strategy was based around emphasising the health risks of smoking, and then inviting the potential customer to make an informed choice. The packaging was black with white writing, and a black skull and crossbones - I think the skull also had a top hat, from memory. The brand later disappeared, I think around the time that tobacco advertising was banned in the UK.

undertaker

Practically Family
Edward said:
The second 'new' pipe is this unbranded beauty:

IMGP3935.jpg

IMGP3936.jpg

A nice smoke, the bowl on this one is a third to a half the size of all my other pipes, making this more of a quick puff pipe. No idea of age, but I suspect older than my other pipes.

I have one in my collection almost exactly like this one. I was told once that it was a lady's pipe from the 1890's. I do not know for sure but it seemed a little out there to me. Regardless it was inexpensive and it looks nice on my shelf.

Regards,
J.S.

Edward

Bartender
undertaker said:
I have one in my collection almost exactly like this one. I was told once that it was a lady's pipe from the 1890's. I do not know for sure but it seemed a little out there to me. Regardless it was inexpensive and it looks nice on my shelf.

Regards,
J.S.

That's a possibility.... I know there were a lot of ornate, delicate pipes made for ladies right up to the thirties. when cigarettes began to really take over from the pipe.

Levallois

Practically Family
My favorite 4 pipes - from top to bottom - 1933 Parker, two 1950s Dunhills, and the crown jewel, a 1918-21 Dunhill prince with original miltary bit. All are, as you might expect, terrific smokes.

Pipes001-1.jpg

shortbow

Practically Family
Great to see someone keeping this thread alive. Great pipes. In briars, rusticated are my favorites, I love the feel of them in the hand. Better than worry beads.

p71towny

Familiar Face
I must find that Kaywoodie streamliner!!!! That is one awesome pipe! I want to pick up another Dr. Grabow and paint it satin black and have it pinstriped. I've always thought that'd be kewl.

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
Nothing fancy here boys, one Peterson and the rest seem to be Dr Grabows. I bought the peterson and the rest were my grandfathers, given to me when he passed away at the age of 94.
img2488n.jpg

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Hi everyone,

I'm an active participant in the Hats section of this forum, but thought I'd introduce myself into the pipes area. I started collecting them four years ago, and have sold about 40% of my collection, as I just don't smoke them often enough. I'm thinking of turning over a new leaf, however, and giving them some use again! ;)

Here is my current collection (mostly modern, a few vintage). This is my first attempt at compiling multiple photos into one image, so sorry for the rough quality.

pipecollection.jpg

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
absolute beauties. There's something I really like about the shape, curve, and blast of the smooth-top one. Something similar draws me to Rad Davis' work as well. The closest finish I have to that is a custom I had made by Kevin Arthur (before he started to climb up the pipemaker's ladder) in his russet blast. It is perhaps my finest briar.
pipelogue041.jpg

pipelogue042.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21