Show us your radios!

Discussion in 'Radio' started by The Reno Kid, Sep 27, 2006.

1. vitanola

vitanola I'll Lock Up

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. vitanola

vitanola I'll Lock Up

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had enough?

These are a few of my sets of which I have photos.

What is your principle area of interest in Radio?

3. Great radios but I think you buried the poor guy underneath them all. :Dlol:p

4. wireless man

wireless man New in Town

Nice collection vitanola!

I see a few familiar faces that i also have but you deffinitely have a bigger collection than i do. My area of collecting is really more about finding interesting old sets and reviving them. I dont follow any particular pattern. Rarest i had was a greebe cr2(?) that was promptly traded for a mcintosh tube amp. Paid $10 for that greebe so i was a happy camper.

The only sets i actively pursue right now are zenith transistor transoceanics. I wont pass up an interesting tube set if the price is right though. Being in south Fl, anything older than 1950's is a rare find.

5. scotrace

scotrace Head Bartender Staff Member

We always like to think about people who are searching for information here - so we keep things together as much as possible. I've merged this into the larger thread, in the Radio forum.

Welcome to The Fedora Lounge, wireless man.

6. wireless man

wireless man New in Town

i had seen the much older radio thread but my experience from other boards has been that once a thread is a few years old, they prefer you start a fresh one. lesson learned, it's ok to revive threads here.

it's nice to see a healthy appreciation for vintage radios here!

7. Futwick

Futwick One of the Regulars

Holy cathode ray tubes, batman!

8. dhermann1

dhermann1 I'll Lock Up

Vitanola: That's a gorgeous Grebe. I have a pretty much identical one, totally in pieces. I have everything, save for one escutcheon. God knows when it will EVER get restored. It's REALLY cool radio.

9. vitanola

vitanola I'll Lock Up

I believe that I may have a couple sets of spare escutcheons. I know that I have a half-dozen excellent panels put back.

10. One forum that I belong to has an annoying policy of closing down old threads. :eusa_doh:

11. lolly_loisides

lolly_loisides One Too Many

Not mine but I wish it was, 1939 Stromberg Carlson "Auditorium Grand' the seller is asking $1725.....
    Stromberg-641-15_zpsd6fec665.jpg

12. Shangas

Shangas I'll Lock Up

It's called "necroposting" online. Some forums I've been a member of have very strict rules about necroposting, and how you shouldn't post in a thread that has wandered all the way to the back of the line.

Speaking from personal forum-running experience, I can say that it's a pain in the butt juggling dozens and dozens of threads. Necroposting-bans only create MORE threads which make moderating jobs even harder.

Fortunately, the Lounge doesn't have that kind of policy. It keeps the forum neater to stack things in their allotted threads, rather than spreading them out all over the floor so that you trip over them everytime you want to try and get somewhere.

13. decojoe67

decojoe67 One of the Regulars

Deco little Majestic

How about 1934 compact Majestic "mantle" style radio. It has a attractive deco look that mirrors the company's highly sought after full size line of sets. A nice touch is the two lit windows. Most of these cheap little sets had no pilot lights.
    The set needed a lot of TLC when I got it such as the grille and top being loose and delaminated. I got it back in shape without any stripping. It's still the original finish.
    My tech. got the dirty dusty chassis working as new in a couple of hours!
    [​IMG]

14. Giftmacher

Giftmacher One Too Many

This will be my next radio. I saw it on the old family photo and now I must have it :) Fortunately it's quite common model (Telefunken Choral 1936-37)
    [​IMG]

15. I am going to have to take a picture of my 1929 Balkeit lowboy radio that I have the cabinet restored on. The internals were too far gone for my guy to fix but he cleaned them up and it looks pretty darned good. :p

16. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

My Grandmother had a Ferguson wireless new, trouble is, I don't know what year. I do know that it's valve driven, that she and Grandad listened to the announcement of the outbreak of WW2 on it. And Granny told me that she would sometimes listen to, when Grandad was on firewatch duty, Lord Haw-Haw, She said he used to scare her witless. It made me smile. I do miss my grand parents.
    [​IMG]
    My Wurlitzer, is not, unfortunately, vintage. Although it is of a decent age. If you remember, after valves, and before digital, we had solid state. And that's what it is. Wonderful clarity, and the distortion noises you hear from a record player, all seem to be smoothed out. Just on this point, does anyone know when the 45 single record started be produced? If there is such a thing, I am after anything by Django Rheinhardt, although I would love to find: "Minor Swing."
    [​IMG]

17. tonyb

tonyb Vendor

Ever since I saw this ...

http://www.wright20.com/search/eames_radio/

... I've had my eyes peeled for other examples. They're nice-lookin' radios, for sure, but I've seen others in this thread that I like as much and even more. It's because they were designed by the Eameses that they fetch such high prices, of course.

18. vitanola

vitanola I'll Lock Up

What?

Those Emerson 578 and 588 sets sold extremely well, and turn up all of the time at radio meets in the $20-25 price range.

At least they turned up until the last year or so...

19. Yes, turned. Past tense. :p

20. tonyb

tonyb Vendor

Well, better grab 'em if you can.

I'd have found any of those designs appealing, but, as I already said, certainly not more than several others of less distinguished pedigree. So yeah, of course I'll buy any and all I might come across for much lower prices than what I now know they will fetch.

Still, I have to shake my head at people whose tastes are dictated by some famous designer's imprimatur. Yes, the Eames office turned out some very nice, definitive, "iconic" (the most overused word of our era) designs. But not everything that came out of that studio was so great, and much of what came out of other shops was every bit as nice, or even nicer.

There's a store in downtown Seattle that sells nothing but such "classic" (another overused term) modernist pieces -- Eames, Saarinen, Nelson, etc. -- for big, big money. Sure, it's nice stuff, but the store's survival depends on a clientele with much more money than imagination.