Show us your radios!

Discussion in 'Radio' started by The Reno Kid, Sep 27, 2006.

1. Giftmacher

Giftmacher One Too Many

It's a gem! In Czechoslovakia FM (Eastern standard OIRT) portable receivers appeared in the late sixties.

2. Chicago Jimmy

Chicago Jimmy Familiar Face

IMG_2132.jpg
    Here is our Zenith 8S563 it's from 1941. I picked this up from the original owner. Changed all capacitors, most resistors, many rubber coated wires, dial belt, and grill cloth. The finish is all original. I have a AM transmitter that streams from the computer, so we can listen to a variety of old music & detective/mysteries, etc. We have about 30 tube radio's now.

3. Dragon Soldier

Dragon Soldier One of the Regulars

Very nice, love the dial and great condition for original finish.

I'd like more radios but they're becoming increasingly difficult to source at my preferred venues as vendors become more suspicious of liability issues.

4. dhermann1

dhermann1 I'll Lock Up

Very sweet! Very similar to my 10S567. Great sound, and gorgeous to look at.

5. 2075rami

2075rami One of the Regulars

[​IMG][​IMG]
    My wife and I are camping this weekend at Tyler State Park, and since it was so chilly this morning (low 50s), we decided to drive into Tyler and scrounge around in the antique shops for the day. Found this Philco beauty sitting in the corner of the porch on an old Victorian style house turned antique shop. And yes, the price tag says $2.00. The power cord on this one looks better than any unrestored radio I've seen, so I decided to take a shot and plug it in when we got back to the campsite. Being completely new to tube technology, I didn't think it was gonna do anything at all after I plugged it in and switched it on. Then about 2 or 3 minutes later I heard soft static, so I dialed up and down the dial and found several stations that came in loud and clear. Too bad the only music stations I could find are Tejano! Hard to complain too much when total outlay was $2.17, though.

According to the label on the bottom of the case, it's a model B950 (code 121) if that means anything significant. Any idea what the approximate production date of this radio may have been?

Sent from my iPhone to the interwebs and straight to your brain using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  6. 1953 http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/philco_53_950.html

7. Giftmacher

Giftmacher One Too Many

It's finally working
    [video=youtube_share;BrbZy3oxxSU]http://youtu.be/BrbZy3oxxSU[/video]

8. [video=youtube_share;2kJYqBGeMLI]http://youtu.be/2kJYqBGeMLI[/video]

Good Job!

9. Giftmacher

Giftmacher One Too Many

Thank you! I should open a bottle of red wine huh? :)

10. As long as I get some. :p

11. Giftmacher

Giftmacher One Too Many

Well, I was not honest, I don't have any :(. I'm going to make a cup of coffee and listen to some vintage music :)

12. A Bomber General

A Bomber General New in Town

I purchased a 1940 Philco Model 40-190 for $25 from the grandson of the original owner in south Toledo. The radio powered up but nothing else happened. Six months of work refinishing the cabinet, obtaining replacement parts, and giving the chassis a full recap gives this work of art. The skyscraper-inspired cabinet is my favorite feature of this gem.

Working on tube radios from the 1930s-50s can be a little challenging, but in general, the sets were so well built that they respond quickly to some TLC.

13. Giftmacher

Giftmacher One Too Many

It would be nice, if we could see every step of renovation. You took a picture of it?

14. Yes, I second that but I also notice that his post count is not high enough to post pictures yet. You can send the picture to me via PM and I will post it though. :D

15. A Bomber General

Yes, I did take a whole series of shots of the radio, starting from the day I brought it home all the way through to the night that I plugged in it, and everything worked. It was supremely enjoyable to resurrect this radio. At jamespowers, I'll send you a few shots to post.

16. Giftmacher

Giftmacher One Too Many

Still waiting..

17. A Bomber General

Radio before cleaning June 2011-001.jpg
    Here's the Philco Model 40-190 the day I brought it home. It had a number of issues; it wouldn't power up properly, the dial glass was missing, the push buttons had degenerated into shards, and the finish was filthy and worn. A basket case but one with a lot of potential.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  18. A Bomber General

Here's a progression of photos showing the rebuild process. IMG_1083.JPG
    IMG_1111.JPG
    IMG_1238.JPG
    IMG_1606.JPG
    IMG_1625.JPG
    IMG_1626.JPG
    IMG_1627.JPG

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  19. A Bomber General

As much as I like the Philco shown above, my 1952 Hallicrafters TW-1000 is my favorite. It sits atop my dresser and sees frequent use. While not an Art Deco piece, its receiving abilities are hard to match even with today's equipment. "They don't build 'em like they used to."

tw1000.jpg