Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Swirl dresses!

D

Deleted member 12480

YesterdayGirl said:
vintage-arrivals.html

Love my Swirl to death! Always on the lookout for more!

Ah! Hello! I didn't know you were on fl! Xx

HomesteadHattie

New in Town
This thread is great!! I LOVE sunny, practical cotton dresses and was not previously aware of a Swirl brand, but I am really enamored now. I am already on the hunt for a wartime housedress pattern, just so's I can use old kitchen-print curtain fabric for contrasting pockets! How cute would that be?

I'm thinking about this pattern, even though it's not a wrap. It still has the traits I'm looking for.

4752197444_9bce663542_b.jpg

zendy

A-List Customer
AWWW Inky! Why do you torture me so!
If I was a few inches smaller in the waist, it would be mine.:(

HomesteadHattie

New in Town
I have been hunting this pattern for a year with no luck whatsoever, and just today I realized it was a Swirl-style dress! It buttons at the top of the back and it wraps around to the front! And check out the unique skirt.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Ethel Mertz wore these kinds of dresses a LOT on I Love Lucy. Kinda makes you want to reassess her potential to be a style icon, doesn't it?

4754060539_18b2af932f.jpg

Inky

One Too Many
zendy - i am an equal opportunity Swirl torturer ;) i wish it fit me and even am pondering making a copy because I love it so much!

HomesteadHattie - funny you say that - I wore one of my Swirl dresses while on vacation and my mother-in-law commented about Ethel! I loved Ethel's homemaker style more than Lucy's glamorous one :)

crwritt

One Too Many
HomesteadHattie said:
I have been hunting this pattern for a year with no luck whatsoever, and just today I realized it was a Swirl-style dress! It buttons at the top of the back and it wraps around to the front! And check out the unique skirt.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Ethel Mertz wore these kinds of dresses a LOT on I Love Lucy. Kinda makes you want to reassess her potential to be a style icon, doesn't it?

4754060539_18b2af932f.jpg

This one would be great for me anyway, as it has less of a full skirt. If only someone around here could locate this pattern and grade it for sizes oh, say
up to 42 bust, then sell the repros for a modest price!

HomesteadHattie

New in Town
Inky: I watched a slew of I Love Lucy episodes a few months ago and I kept admiring Ethel's more humble wardrobe more than Lucy's uncomfortable-looking, super-cinched-waist style!

FuzzyLizzie: I love the post! Maybe Ethel paid for her $9 housedresses herself, with whatever profits she could scrape up from hers and Lucy's various hare-brained business schemes (Their Aunt Martha's Old-Fashioned Salad Dressing did fairly well, didn't it?)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
crwritt said:
This one would be great for me anyway, as it has less of a full skirt. If only someone around here could locate this pattern and grade it for sizes oh, say
up to 42 bust, then sell the repros for a modest price!

I've seen lots and lots of Swirl-ish vintage patterns out there. They sometimes go for a pretty penny, but they're out there.

zendy

A-List Customer
Inky We should have a copy-off! :p

Kitty T I think the problem is, I need to tailor my waist lol

crwritt

One Too Many
KittyT said:
There's always tailoring :)
Its not so difficult to tailor things smaller. Larger, though, sometimes presents a problem.
I think I'll go ahead and draft a copy based on the illustration of McCall's 8164. I'll let you all see how it comes out.

Lottie

Familiar Face
HomesteadHattie said:
CRWRITT: Yes, please do let us know how it turns out, because I have been obsessing over that pattern for a solid year. If you can copy it, you'll be my hero!

And mine! Thats such a lovely pattern.

Drappa

One Too Many
Hello,
I have just joined the site and already learned a ton! I have fallen in love with a Swirl-like dress and since I have never seen one IRL was wondering how much leeway there is with the waist? The dress I found has a 25" waist, but I'm more a 28"...and am so sad. Is there a way to wear it with a slip and a small gap, or is that really silly?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Drappa said:
Hello,
I have just joined the site and already learned a ton! I have fallen in love with a Swirl-like dress and since I have never seen one IRL was wondering how much leeway there is with the waist? The dress I found has a 25" waist, but I'm more a 28"...and am so sad. Is there a way to wear it with a slip and a small gap, or is that really silly?

Well, since they're wrap dresses, you really have at least a couple of inches of leeway. But you definitely would not want to wear it with a gap and your slip showing! You should ask the seller how much fabric overlap there is at the back.

Drappa

One Too Many
KittyT said:
Well, since they're wrap dresses, you really have at least a couple of inches of leeway. But you definitely would not want to wear it with a gap and your slip showing! You should ask the seller how much fabric overlap there is at the back.
Thanks! That's what I thought. The seller said there were two buttons an inch apart, but I find it all a bit confusing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112