Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Vintage Office Supplies.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
kowalskt63 said:
Just starting a "retro" office here. I'm planning on going "old school" here, but I'm not going to go crazy with it. i.e. might throw in a few modern, "vintage inspired" items as well.
desk.jpg

I have a chair much like that, except it has arms. It belonged to my grandpa's primary school teacher. When they closed the school, somehow my family ended up with the chair and the school blackboard and chalk rail.

John Boyer

A-List Customer
Parkins & Grotto Stationery Cabinet

This is a piece I am particularly fond of: Parkins & Grotto Oak Stationery Cabinet (C 1880) with Writing Slope, Watch, Calendar, &/c.

th_2-1.jpg

th_24.jpg

SweetieStarr

A-List Customer
Very cool!
How do the old phones work in the office? Can you use multiple lines or transfer calls, etc?

KilroyCD said:
I don't have any photos of specific office supplies, but how about a couple photos of our vintage office? This is at Ft Miles in Cape Henlopen State Park in Delaware (the world's most heavily armed state park), and we're recreating the wartime Civil Defense headquarters office there. In addition to the Coastal Artillery, Ft Miles was the state HQ for Delaware's Civilian Defense in WWII. The living history group I belong to is in the midst of recreating the wartime HQ. It's a work in progress, but here are two shots from about a month ago.
FtMiles014.jpg

FtMiles004.jpg

SweetieStarr

A-List Customer
What a great clock! Do you know what kind it is?

Lucky Strike said:
Here's an old clock and aeroplane desk cigarette lighter:

k54453-28.jpg

I really like Dali's desk. That's improvisation:

DALI1.jpg

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Vintage Betty said:
Are you looking for vintage office supplies?

I know that KilroyCD and at least one other person in this thread are volunteers trying to re-create vintage offices.

If you are a volunteer trying to re-create a historical office for a geographical site, please list:

If you are a volunteer.
The location you are working on restoring.
What supplies are you looking for?
If you are willing to pay for shipping for vintage office supplies to your project.

This request is only for historical sites, not for personal collectors.

Thank you for your understanding.

Vintage Betty
Betty,
I'm working (along with fellow Loungers Mr. K.L. Bowers and RdKryton) on the recreation of the Civilian Defense office / HQ at Fort Miles in Lewes, Delaware. We are all volunteers on this project. This office / HQ will become part of the permanent museum display there. Some of the supplies we are looking for are:
Wire waste paper baskets
Inkwells
Fountain pens
Rubber stamps and ink pads
Desk blotters

Of course, I would be willing to pay shipping on any items.

Regards,
-KilroyCD

Scuffy

One of the Regulars
Well here it is... my turn to show off some of my favorite pieces and I can't find two of the top three! My desk fan is at home and I'm stuck here at work. My stapler is MIA. Was here a couple weeks ago and has since run away. :rage: But none the less- here ya go! The Underwood is in great shape and with the serial number I've dated it's birth to 1941. And as for the Shure 55S mic... I don't know how that snuck into the picture! lol

Underwood.jpg

Shure.jpg

My favoritest little fan!
Fan.jpg

FanLogo.jpg

Pina Bridgette

One of the Regulars
Finally got around to finding this thread and taking a pic of my vintage office supplies:

DSC09350.jpg

Mutual Adjustable #20 Hole Punch, Scotch Tape Dispenser, Letter/Pen holder & Bates Listfinders. The bulldog clip is of unknown vintage :) It's been on that tin as long as I can remember so those two are probably only from the late 60's-early 70's since they came from my dad's old office. The peach listfinder is my gem! I'm hoping to find some matching desk accessories one day. I bought the other two for back-up pages but it turns out they are slightly different (they fit but the columns on the cards changed and it annoys me to have them mixed up and all).

Not vintage but I also like the Ampad Gold Fibre Retro Writing Pads and the new Ace Pilot 404 Stapler.
AMP20008R_1_1.JPG

pilot_998_detail.jpg

Sunny

One Too Many
I didn't even know this thread existed. :)

This is a green and cream (once white) celluloid desk set, found at an antique store in tiny little Rosebud, Texas. There is a letter holder, blotter, and inkwell with pen grooves. The letter holder is slightly warped, no doubt from the heat down here, but it is perfectly useable. The other pieces are in great condition, even the thin plastic of the blotter.

The inkwell itself is probably missing a lid. It is a different kind of plastic, much heavier than the celluloid. Would it be Lucite (making it WWII or later), or was there an earlier clear plastic that didn't change color like bakelite?

The set was $50. I've never seen anything like it before, so I still don't know if that was a good price. But I love green, and I knew I would rue it if I left it behind.

Sunny said:
I didn't even know this thread existed. :)

This is a green and cream (once white) celluloid desk set, found at an antique store in tiny little Rosebud, Texas. There is a letter holder, blotter, and inkwell with pen grooves. The letter holder is slightly warped, no doubt from the heat down here, but it is perfectly useable. The other pieces are in great condition, even the thin plastic of the blotter.

The inkwell itself is probably missing a lid. It is a different kind of plastic, much heavier than the celluloid. Would it be Lucite (making it WWII or later), or was there an earlier clear plastic that didn't change color like bakelite?

The set was $50. I've never seen anything like it before, so I still don't know if that was a good price. But I love green, and I knew I would rue it if I left it behind.

Awesome desk set. Some of the online fountain pen stores still have blotter paper. Measure your blotter and start checking around. For the dip pen you can make a holder with a small container filled with small shot gun birdshot pellets.

Pina Bridgette said:
Sunny - Lovely desk set! That is just the sort of thing I have been looking for myself. I've had my eye on this set online but it's just a bit too pink for my taste: http://www.tias.com/cgi-bin/mp.fcgi?itemKey=3923772400

It's a neat set, you'd have to tie that color in with the decor and that might difficult. I'd consider that set if I was doing a Florida / Tropical theme maybe with pink flamingos some wheres to echo the color.

Sunny

One Too Many
Thanks, John! I'm not sure I understand about the pen holder, though; you mean to hold it, instead of the grooves in the inkwell stand?

Pina Bridgette said:
Sunny - Lovely desk set! That is just the sort of thing I have been looking for myself. I've had my eye on this set online but it's just a bit too pink for my taste: http://www.tias.com/cgi-bin/mp.fcgi?itemKey=3923772400

Wow, that is VERY pink! It's an amazing set, but I know what you mean. I'd feel more like Barbie than a vintage gal with that on my desk. :eek: I wish mine had more pieces, but I think all I'd use would be the letter opener and maybe the desk blotter. It is neat to see a set with both blotters.

Sunny said:
Thanks, John! I'm not sure I understand about the pen holder, though; you mean to hold it, instead of the grooves in the inkwell stand?

Yes, it's an old trick, the shot wipes the excess ink off of the dip pen's nib so it doesn't get clogged with dried ink. You'll see it more often with pewter type sets but you might be able to cover the container with something colored to match the set.

Pina Bridgette

One of the Regulars
I have my dad's old tanker desk in storage at my sister's office so what I have currently fits with a more industrial/utilitarian theme but I am dying to find a space for a properly outfitted ladies writing desk type of thing with a set such as Sunny's too.

Pina Bridgette

One of the Regulars
John in Covina said:
It's a neat set, you'd have to tie that color in with the decor and that might difficult. I'd consider that set if I was doing a Florida / Tropical theme maybe with pink flamingos some wheres to echo the color.
It's very Palm Beach/Lily Pulitzer, isn't it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran