Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage patterns!

anabolina

A-List Customer
Neany73 said:
I just scanned a few of my patterns so thought I might as well post them (seeing as I've just de-lurked myself :))

2230630127_f34ff01e19.jpg

Welcome Neany :) I love all your patterns, it looks like you have quite a collection. I especially love this last one with the sweetheart neckline and cool bolero capelet thingie.

Neany73

New in Town
Yeah, thats the one I plan on making next! Probably in a scary bright spotty pattern that I found a little while ago. It's pink background with spots of all sizes in all kinds of bright colours. think I'll line the cape with bright blue :D

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
So, I've come to the conclusion that I won't really have a daily vintage (inspired, since I make all mine) wardrobe until I have some pants and blouses. I'm just too much in the habit of wearing pants to go to dresses all the time. I'm looking at 2 different pants patterns and I know people have tried them. I can't make up my mind.
From evadress.com
9016.jpg

or from http://www.vintagefashionlibrary.com
vfl_104_cover.jpg

I love the highwaisted eva dress pant, but I wonder if it's comfortable and I wonder if it needs the suspenders/braces to hold them up? The VFL pant looks very similar to the VivienofHalloway pant that we see pics of all the time. Are they easy to fit and make up?

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
kamikat said:

kamikat- the top pattern by evadress is super comfy and the suspenders do work. As long as they fit you properly, that is. (you may have to lengthen or shorten the pattern depending on your torso)

I'm looking to get the bottom pattern. It's exactly what I'm looking for. I don't like pleats or gathers in my pants, so the darts w/o the front and back seams in the pants are perfect. If you do get this one, can you let us know how it works out?

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Cherry_Bombb said:
kamikat- the top pattern by evadress is super comfy and the suspenders do work. As long as they fit you properly, that is. (you may have to lengthen or shorten the pattern depending on your torso)

My question is: will the highwaisted version stay up without the suspenders, though? I don't want to wear them.

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
kamikat- I think they would temporarily, but what I suggest is creating a casing of bias tape casing in between the two layers and putting a lightweight boning in.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the tip. I'm not quite sure they would work as casual pants, then. I decided to go with the other pattern. I also ordered some dark indigo denim to make them up in. I can't wait!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Neany73 said:
I just scanned a few of my patterns so thought I might as well post them (seeing as I've just de-lurked myself :))

Holy crap! Where did you find those sizes!? They are so rare! :D

2231425544_35c4c9bcaa.jpg

By the way I LOVE her face in the blue dress. lol

"YES I look fabulous, Im tired of people telling me so."

LD

Miss Dexeter

New in Town
Lost...

I find it so difficult to find a good pattern. I realise I probably sound a little stupid, but what on earth do you search for on Ebay to find these amazing patterns????!!! All it ever throws at me are awful awful things!

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Try the decade?

Miss Dexeter said:
I find it so difficult to find a good pattern. I realise I probably sound a little stupid, but what on earth do you search for on Ebay to find these amazing patterns????!!! All it ever throws at me are awful awful things!

I put in the year 1930 (as that will also find 1930s) or 30s, and then I get a lot to choose from (and you could do the same with 40s/1940, 50s/1950 etc). Once is a while there will be dreck, but mostly what I want. And I also find that people who don't know about what they are selling often put a bad description. For instance, all these early Butterick patterns with the Deltor are often mislabeled as being from 1923, as that is the patent date on the concept of the Deltor (the printed instruction sheet). So you should always check the decade on either side of what you want in case.
I wish they would categorize them by era like they do with the vintage clothing!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Miss Dexeter said:

The key is time and saved searches. Unlike Miss 1929, I do searches for size. I have a saved search of "vintage patterns, women's 36" and "vintage patterns, women's 38". Ebay will email you updates on your searches. Yes, there will be lost of junk you don't want, lots of 70's and 80's stuff, but just keep your eyes peeled. I probably find 2-3 good ones every month. I used to search by decade, but found that so many of the patterns were not my size and I would fall in love with designs and be heartbroken. I'm too lazy to grade more than one size up or down.

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
Miss Dexeter said:

What I usually do is go to COLLECTIBLES> SEWING> PATTERNS> WOMENS and then in the large search bar I type in either: <b>193*</b> or <b> 194*</b> . Then I click "Search title and description"

This usually brings up any of the patterns with those numbers in the pattern number or the years it was copyrighted/ released.

Happy Hunting!

Neany73

New in Town
I do the same, but I trawl independant sites too. Vintage Cat has come up with the goods for me recently. They do tend to be a little more expensive than Ebay, but I always see far more that I like so it's worth it. Of course, the exchange rate does go in my favour so it doesn't feel quite as bad.

pennyseranade

One of the Regulars
kamikat said:
So, I've come to the conclusion that I won't really have a daily vintage (inspired, since I make all mine) wardrobe until I have some pants and blouses. I'm just too much in the habit of wearing pants to go to dresses all the time. I'm looking at 2 different pants patterns and I know people have tried them. I can't make up my mind.
From evadress.com
9016.jpg

or from http://www.vintagefashionlibrary.com
vfl_104_cover.jpg

I love the highwaisted eva dress pant, but I wonder if it's comfortable and I wonder if it needs the suspenders/braces to hold them up? The VFL pant looks very similar to the VivienofHalloway pant that we see pics of all the time. Are they easy to fit and make up?

I have the bottom pattern and am almost finished with them. All that's left is the buttons and the waistband. What I found is that I will have to make the button holes the old fashioned way. My machines auto button-holer, wants to make the holes larger than the markings and for that matter, larger than the section of fabric allotted for them.
Other than that, the pattern is pretty self explainitory. Even the pockets went in without a hitch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart