Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Silvertone clock radio

Young fogey

One of the Regulars
8525860299_e0d0cd7a79_z.jpg

I'm fairly sure it's from shortly after the war; still looks very art-deco '40s. My guess is very early '50s. Reasons I got it besides being beautiful: the clock and alarm work fine. The radio just buzzes and the the dial doesn't turn all the way to the left.

I'm guessing it's worth the cost of repairs to make it good as new. It is indeed a fine lookin' thing.

I asked a local old-radio-rebuilder guy if one of my old units, an early-'40s (I think) Sparton tabletop model, was worth rebuilding (it works, but only sorta; in other words, not perfectly). He said only I could answer that question. Something north of a hundred bucks if he did the work, he said, and maybe as much as twice that. Could I sell it for that kinda scratch? Not in a minute or less. But still ...

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The good news is that a radio like that has a very simple circuit compared to the big '30s models -- and anyone who can learn to use a soldering iron can learn to fix one. Unless it's been struck by lightning and had its antenna coil burned out or caught fire at some point in its past, all it will likely need to come back to life is to have the capacitors replaced.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Lizzie is right, they are not a complicated radio and parts are available at reasonable cost. If you can find a radio hobbyist they may fix it for a more reasonable cost.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24