Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sixpence, what color should I buy?

mrlamp

New in Town
The title pretty much says it all. I love my fedora and my cowboy hat, but I want a sixpence for that really casual look. Any ideas on what color I should go for?

And also, I love the idea of a beret, but is it "legal" to wear if I'm not in the military? I write "legal" because it's not against the law, but sometimes stuff like this is frowned upon by most people. So I just check in with someone with (hopefully) more knowledge than me on the subject.

Last edited:
The title pretty much says it all. I love my fedora and my cowboy hat, but I want a sixpence for that really casual look. Any ideas on what color I should go for?
I'd say to go with whichever color appeal to you. Sixpence caps are very common here in the U.S. (commonly known as Ivy caps here) and come in a pretty wide variety of colors.

And also, I love the idea of a beret, but is it "legal" to wear if I'm not in the military? I write "legal" because it's not against the law, but sometimes stuff like this is frowned upon by most people. So I just check in with someone with (hopefully) more knowledge than me on the subject.
To my knowledge, wearing a beret or any other clothing commonly associated with the military isn't frowned upon in and of itself. However, both veteran and active troops will express their extreme displeasure in no uncertain terms if you attach any un-earned military insignia (i.e., rank insignia, patches, medals, badges, etc.) to that clothing here in the U.S.. If you haven't served, it's considered to be very disrespectful (and rightfully so) to those who have if you present yourself as a member or former member of the armed forces.

I have a couple of M-65 field jackets that I wear when the weather demands it, but they have no military insignia sewn or pinned onto them. And, while I'm wearing one, if anyone asks if I've been in the military (and it has happened) I make it very clear that I have not and that I simply find the design to be very practical. Again, that's here in the U.S.; I have no idea about how the use of military clothing by civilians is viewed in Norway.

Edward

Bartender
TBH, I've always found the very worst folks for sneering at folks for wearing "unearned" military garb have themselves never been in the military. As long as nobody's trying to do a Walter Mitty, that's cool by me; beyond that, I can't imagine anyone whose opinion is worth acknowledging caring much at all. It's often considered in poor taste to wear decorations or badges of rank that have been unearned (personally, I really don't care if somebody wants to strut around with more decorations than Idi Amin, as long as they're not defrauding anyone else, but hey ho). Europeans, as a rule, seem to be somewhat more relaxed about these things than folks in the US, but it's not a bad rule as such.

Berets have a long pedigree as a civilian item. If anything, even with a specific military-inspired beret, I'd likely think "Che Guevara fan" long before I'd think "army wannabe". [huh]

Sixpence.... is that what we in the UK would call a 'flatcap'?

Surplus military attire can be found just about anywhere here in the Land o' the Free and the Home o' the Brave. Most settlements of any size have stores devoted mostly to that very thing. Want a pair of thick wool pants to wear while doing a bit of rough weather bushwhacking? Bet you can find some that had originally been issued by some Scandinavian country's armed forces.

As to berets ... The U.S. Army uniform beret, the ones they use these days, is a decidedly unattractive piece of headwear. No refection on the person wearing it, of course. He or she has little say in the matter. I like the look of a whole lotta military attire. U.S. Marine Corps dress blues are damned sharp, as is much of what our swabbies wear. But those Army berets? Yuck.

When I think berets, I think a French guy on a bike, with a striped shirt and a baguette. Why? Cuz that's the stereotype. Either that, or a member of the Young Communist League, circa 1964. That's on men, anyway.

Last edited:
Oh, and mrlamp, some people can pull off a beret, and some can't. I'm in the latter category. If you're in the former, then get one (or more) and wear it.

Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
as far as a beret goes, , the truth is you need to find the right pounce, too big and you will look a little trippy, but it also "works" with some and not with others, i am in a battle right now as to buy one, but i have a expensive beautiful one from france but it has a leather head band , in my opinion does not lay as relaxed as I need it, so i am thinking of getting another one, but where i live it does not fit in well, and i don't understand, i live in a european fishing/longshore town, and the main hat there is the newsboy

mrlamp

New in Town
Thanks for all answers. I have decided on the color sixpence (or flat cap) and I landed on a black stetson. I will be posting pictures as soon as I get it in house.

As the beret goes, I have decided to not buy one for now. I agree that europeans are more relaxed about those sort of things in general, but though I like the look, I'm afraid I would feel a bit like a phony wearing one without even serving in the military.

Last edited:

RJR

Do your own thing,Brother Cavefish.After wearing the relatively small military beret,I'm enjoying larger ones and some peaked berets.Warm in winter and not as likely to blow off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy