Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sleeve length on Aero Goat

Equality 7-2521

One of the Regulars
I have an Aero goat skin jacket on order it should be coming up very soon actually, my question is this; If my preferred sleeve length would be 25 inches and I ordered it with 26 inch length sleeve would that be too much considering the leather shrinkage? Would perhaps 25.5inches be a better bet? I realize answer may differ but perhaps there can be some consensus on this.

Um, I have learned that it's best to ask before you order! Goat won't shrink up much as compared to HH. Depends on the style jacket - it might or might not be too long. An extra inch I can't say I'd worry about, but you'll have to wait and see. Post pics when it arrives. Congrats!

Equality 7-2521

One of the Regulars
You are correct. It was something that I vowed to look into but it unfortunately slipped my mind, on a rather constant basis :). It's the Aero Teamster.

Longer sure beats shorter. It depends on what jacket though.
My casual jackets I get long. Mil-inspired I like to be as close to perfect as I can. Being aware that hides like HH will wrinkle up nicely and shorten. My goats have not done that.

Equality 7-2521

One of the Regulars
I asked for pictures prior to arriving if possible and I of course will take some when the jacket arrives :). Thanks for the replies.

Jaguar66

A-List Customer
I always thought goat would not shrink much, but after applying the water treatment to a goatskin Gibson & Barnes jacket, I have to report that it will shrink quite a bit. If after a while the natural wrinkling at the sleeves doesn't bring the sleeve length to the desired level, wet the sleeves, and try drying in the sun first. If still not enough, wet them and dry in the dryer with 8-10 damp towels, at lowest setting, frequently turning the jacket inside out every 10-12 minutes. It will shrink quit a bit.

My experience has been goat or HH...order the length that has the cuff hit where you want it. In my case, I like it to hit half way where my thumb attaches to my wrist (first carpal-metacarpal joint) and where it attaches to my hand (first metacarpal phalangeal joint.)
Best to ask the jacket maker though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn