Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So I Got This Jacket Today - Any Speculations About It?

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
I picked this unidentified jacket up today at a local vintage shop.
DSCN0425 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
DSCN0426 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
No labels to be found, so far at least. Anyone have any idea what it is, besides well broken in?
DSCN0428 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
DSCN0432 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Or how old it might be?
DSCN0438 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Zipper, which needs repair,
DSCN0441 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
DSCN0437 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
There are a few more photos on my Flickr page, or I can take others if they would yield more info.

Thanks,
Michael

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Great find and fits you very well, too, congratulations!

From what I can recognize on my tiny smartphone screen, I think it is horsehide rather than cowhide. Maybe @tmitchell59 knows what company could have made this, he owns a number of comparable vintage half-belts.

Either way, enjoy wearing it!

Whatever it is, it's something alright. It's been relined. 40's or 50's I suppose. Brent? I've really no clue about these but even I can tell you've scored a really good one.

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
I'm glad to hear you guys think it was worth picking up. I figured it had been relined, and not too recently as some of the thread on that is going on the bottom hem. From the zipper I thought maybe late 40s or early 50s, but I'm so far from expert on this that I can't even see expert from here. I first looked at it a month or so ago and had decided it was too small, but my waist is down a couple of inches in the interim so when I tried it today it was something I just had to have. Ha ha.

Should I be thinking of putting any conditioner or anything on it? Or leave it as is?

Michael

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
VERY nice score.. :) Personally, I'm a Pecard man, and would work a thin layer on, wait 24 hours, and if it soaks it all up, perhaps another thin layer.

Is there a Union tag in any of the pockets?
Would that be the Pecard Classic Leather Dressing that you are suggesting? No union labels to be found.

Nice buy! Looks like 40s Horsehide. The square ended talon pull is 40s.

Does it need conditioning? is it dry?
Cool. I thought the pull looked 40s compared to the photos in the tutorial here, but the slider looks 50s to me. The leather is supple, but the appearance is dry.

Thanks,
Michael

willyto

One Too Many
I've seen this exact style plenty of times on Ebay, it's a 40s jacket. There are different variations of it with the pocket placement and sometimes they have a full detachable belt. Here is one with the similar back from Ebay:

Bv6LoOr.jpg

Nice find, Californian is one brand that did this style.

Technonut

Practically Family

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
I've seen this exact style plenty of times on Ebay, it's a 40s jacket. There are different variations of it with the pocket placement and sometimes they have a full detachable belt. Here is one with the similar back from Ebay:

Bv6LoOr.jpg

Nice find, Californian is one brand that did this style.
Thanks for the info Willyto. The extra pair of button on the ends of the half belt had me wondering if this originally had something detachable that went there. But then there are buttons on the sleeve cuffs that appear to serve no functional purpose, so perhaps they were all decoration.

Yes, Pecard Classic Leather Dressing. I also mix various amounts of Pecard Brown https://www.pecard.com/product/weather-proof-leather-brown/ to the Classic Dressing at times if I want to put subtle color to my vintage jackets with worn finishes..
Sounds like I should get some Pecard products to try out. I have Black Rock and Cadillac that I use on shoes, but I haven't done much jacket conditioning. I have a homemade dubbin/waterproofing/conditioner that is a complex mix of oils, fats and beeswax, heavy on the beeswax, that I also use on boots and shoes and belts.

Good to hear some agreement that it was worth buying. I'm a neophyte at vintage leather.

Thanks all,
Michael

Edward

Bartender
Nice buy! Looks like 40s Horsehide. The square ended talon pull is 40s.

Does it need conditioning? is it dry?

I knew as soon as I saw that photo someone round here would be able to date it byu the zipper puller! :)

Gonig on all the other style clues, I'd have agreed 40s. Really nice find - sort of jacket a couple of the more recent Aero models have been based on. Good length, suits yous well.

Technonut

Practically Family
Sounds like I should get some Pecard products to try out. I have Black Rock and Cadillac that I use on shoes, but I haven't done much jacket conditioning. I have a homemade dubbin/waterproofing/conditioner that is a complex mix of oils, fats and beeswax, heavy on the beeswax, that I also use on boots and shoes and belts.

I've been using Pecard products for many years now, and it conditions quite well without leaving a greasy residue if used sparingly. Just apply thinly, and allow the leather to soak-in what it needs. John Chapman (Good Wear Leather) uses Vaseline with good results, but after trying it myself a couple of times, I found the leather-formulated Pecard products to give much better results. :) I'm certain you will be pleasantly surprised, and pleased with the results if you decide to use it on your jacket.. Well worth the investment for your outstanding vintage find IMO... ;)

RJR

I picked this unidentified jacket up today at a local vintage shop.
DSCN0425 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
DSCN0426 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
No labels to be found, so far at least. Anyone have any idea what it is, besides well broken in?
DSCN0428 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
DSCN0432 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Or how old it might be?
DSCN0438 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Zipper, which needs repair,
DSCN0441 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
DSCN0437 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
There are a few more photos on my Flickr page, or I can take others if they would yield more info.

Thanks,
Michael
Nice catch,congrats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner