Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Fedora

griffer

Practically Family
Halo!

I joined this forum to learn more about vintage hats.

I have a background in theater and costume design specifically, but I have been a corporate/financial guy for the last 12+ years.

To help with the boredom of corporatism, I have cultivated a retro look that takes parts from southern fops, english tailoring and 1940s styles. A mix of moders suits (single, vented), french cuffs, bowties and pocket squares. Cigarette cases, zippos, pill cases, etc.

If it resonates, I love 'Steam Punk' as a genre; the retro/alternative future has always been close to my heart.

I bought my first truly vintage hat this weekend after having purchased several modern hats.

I am not sure how much I care if i got the 'real' deal or even a 'good' deal, becasue I am in love with hat (pics later), but I am curious about quality and build. From my searches of the threads here, it seems that quality is nothing like the 'good ol' days'. Lord know I was deeply saddened by the S, M, L hats at the midtown Brookes. While Brookes had $600, one size fits most, i could pick up mint condition Stetson 3x beaver snap in a wonderfula olive/chocolate color for a fraction of that.

But now I have the itch.

So to start with, I can judge some elements- hand, weave, construction, etc. (i think), but what are there 'tells' for true vintage? Does it matter? What hallmarks should my Stetson hat have?

Bless your patience; on my other forums I am an old mushroom and have no patience....

-Griffer

"I have seen things you people wouldn't believe..." -Roy Batty

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
"vintage" (pre '60's) have brown sweatbands mainly.
they have closer spaced stitching, and softer, finer felt.

other people could say more on this than me, though.

griffer

Practically Family
Photographs

Here's some pics. Looks brown to me, thanks Dinerman!

Hat1.jpg

Interior.jpg

Hallmark.jpg

BandSmall.jpg

HatOn.jpg

Feraud

Bartender
Welcome to the Lounge! Pull up a seat and enjoy the show. There are a lot of great hat collections by the members. Use the search feature and read to your hearts content.

griffer said:
If it resonates, I love 'Steam Punk' as a genre; the retro/alternative future has always been close to my heart.
Same here!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24