Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stratton Trooper to 1883 Campaign Hat???

skbellis

One of the Regulars
Greetings Everyone!

I have just purchased a brown felt Stratton Trooper off of ebay with the intention of re-bashing it to a shape similiar to a 1883 Campaign hat. I was wondering if anyone has tried this in the past or might have some suggestions?

Admittely I am sort of new to the hat-bashing world. This summer I found one of the cheap "Smokey the bear" campaign hats at a surplus store that was beat up for about $15.00 and I rebashed to something that is in between a cattleman's pinch and the 1883 campaign (just not enough crown to pull it off).

Looking forward to all suggestions.

Cheers,

Scott

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes, it has been tried, hawked on e-bay as an original Span-Am War hat, but you're right, there isn't really enough crown on the Stratton trooper caps to get the reverse taper of an original M1883. Doesn't hurt to try, though. Love to see some pictures of your attempt.

dean

skbellis

One of the Regulars
Dean,

I don't have the stratton Trooper yet (just ordered it yesterday; $19 plus $9 shipping). The hat I tried previously was one of those cheap campaign hats that the surplus stores carry. It turned out looking like a shallow Australian Digger hat. I was actually hoping that the Stratton Trooper model would have more room in the crown. I have a vintage Stratton Campaign/Montana Peak that has a very high crown the only thing is that it is pine green.

The 1883 Campaign hat from Dirty Billy's is very tempting to me , but the reviews seemed to be really mixed on it.

Thanks for the help. I'll post some pics when I finish the project.

Cheers,

Scott

job

One Too Many
On Ebay a seller has NIB Stratton felt campaign hats that were bought in the 1990s for the state patrol and never used. They have several sizes for 25 bucks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy