Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Straw OR

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Hi Folks,

I just bought a new straw Open Road.

My Panama Bob Habana is still on its way and the weather in Eastern North Carolina is now too hot and sticky to wear felt. Plus, I've always wanted a straw OR, so this morning I went ahead and took the leap. Sixty-nine bucks and free shipping from Quality Hats. I bought mine in "natural" color.

Not too much talk about straw ORs here on the forum. I hope that doesn't turn out to be a bad omen.

Atticus

Stan

A-List Customer
Hi,

I won a vintage Panama Stetson OR off eBay a few weeks back for $20+10, and that turned out to be just in time for the onset of summer here in NC. :D

This past weekend, I put my custom made Stratoliner clone into it's box with the thought that it'll be several months before it can come out and play again. :(

All the felts save one (a vintage felt Stetson OR) have been put away in the closet and all the straws, save one, have come out to live on the hooks for the summer. The one that isn't there is the brand-new Panama from Bob which is out at Art's being shaped to fit my egg. :D

Later!

Stan

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Hi Stan,

Not long ago, I, too, bought a vintage Panama Stetson form e-bay. Mine looks Open Roadish, but it doesn't say anywhere on it that it actually is an OR. The sweatband just says that it is genuine Panama. I've been wearing it for the past couple of days now, and I've found it to be just the ticket for our summertime N.C. weather!

Atticus

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I had one for nearly twenty years, and wore the heck out of it. I finally retired it a few years ago when it was totally cracked, falling apart, and shapeless. It cost me about $30 way back in 1981, so it sounds like you got a good buy.

I always liked mine, it was a very serviceable hat. I replaced it with a Stetson "Napa" from Miller Hats, a nice teardrop-style straw.

plain old dave

A-List Customer
Wearing a straw OR I bought last summer on AT on AT this year down here in the Bahamas. Hotter than blazes, but the hat works like a champ. Looks good too.

Justdog

Practically Family
Atticus Finch said:
Hi Folks,

I just bought a new straw Open Road.

Not too much talk about straw ORs here on the forum. I hope that doesn't turn out to be a bad omen.

Atticus
Be very interested in what you think of it as I would not mind one of those, Are they real stiff? I just got a bailey summer hat, posted pics. Nice nylon flex conforming material.

RBH

Bartender
Looking forward to what you think about the cattlemans crease on your OR.
Its real easy to put a fedora style on the brim but the modern Open Road straw does not take to a fedora crease on the crown.
Lately I have started to like the western styling on the Open Roads.
Be sure to let us in on what you do with it!!!!

I bought a new Stetson OR on sale at the local western store over a year ago. I kept the Cattleman/Alpine crown and flattened out the front brim with a slight downward dip. The crown is a bit taller than my felt ORs, but only by a bit. It is much cooler than felt, which is good. It's supposed to be in the mid to high 90's tomorrow here in South-central Pennsylvania.

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
I've got one that was woven in Guatemala. Huge 5" brim. Waiting for the local mountain man rendezvous to open up in a couple of weeks, so I can find a decent band for the hat. Wearing this thing is like walking under an umbrella! The sun ain't getting through.

Richard

Stan

A-List Customer
Justdog said:
Be very interested in what you think of it as I would not mind one of those, Are they real stiff? I just got a bailey summer hat, posted pics. Nice nylon flex conforming material.

Hi,

My vintage Stetson Panama OR is not nearly as stiff as my new production Dobbs Toledo (Milan weave) is. Those are two very different straw hats, though!

However, my new production Montechristi Panama from Bob is not nearly as stiff as the Stetson. However, the weave on the Montechristi is much finer and denser than on the Stetson, so that would be the reason why.

Also, I second that the crown height on the straw OR is higher than on the felt one I have, but unless one had both hats in the same place and time, no one would notice this. ;)

Later!

Stan

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Hi Folks,

My Straw OR arrived this past Friday. You simply can't beat Quality Hats for service and speed of shipping. Only two days from order to possession!

I was going to wait until I snapped some photos of my new hat to post about it, but its been so blasted hot here in hell....I mean eastern North Carolina, I haven't been able to go outside for a photo shoot. Its supposed to "cool down" to the low nineties tomorrow. Maybe I can do some pictures then.

AF

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I tried to shoot some photos of my new straw Open Road yesterday, but it was pretty hot outside. After only a few minutes I was soaked with sweat and had to give up. Today I got up a little earlier than normal and took a few more pictures while it was still cool.

I've been wearing the hat everyday since Friday. Like many modern hats, I guess it has its good points and then it has some other points. The fit is pretty good, but it would be better if it were long oval. No need to gripe though. Stetson doesn't offer this model in long oval. It is very light and comfortable---and I think it looks good---but it is stiff and a bit "plastic-ey". Kinda reminds me of the plastic "boaters" that used to be passed out at the North Carolina State Democratic Convention. Evidently, the straw has been coated with some kind of finish which makes the hat not breathe quite as well as I had hoped. It is quite comfortable, but it isn't as cool and airy as is my sixties-vintage Panama Stetson. The sweat band is of the same light brown leather as those found in felt ORs. The hat band is narrow, black grosgrain that sets off the body of the hat quite nicely, I think. I left the plastic "Stetson" pin in the band for these pictures, but it will soon be removed.

Overall, for sixty-nine bucks I'm very happy with my new purchase.

By the way, in the second photo below, my facial expression is genuine. As I was waiting for the timer on my camera to release the shutter, something started moving in the weeds beside my boot. It was just a field mouse, but the camera caught me being very concerned about something much longer and meaner.

Picture029-1.jpg

Picture026-1.jpg

Picture024-2.jpg

Picture023-1.jpg

AF

Nic Charles

Familiar Face
Stan said:
However, my new production Montechristi Panama from Bob is not nearly as stiff as the Stetson. However, the weave on the Montechristi is much finer and denser than on the Stetson, so that would be the reason why.
Stan

I couldn't agree with you more on the Montechisti Ultrafino traditional Panama hats! I just received one today from them off of ebay for about $40.00 and it looks like an original. Very light weight and very fine weaving. It even has the classic crease (upwards) in the center of the crown. I'll try to post an image of me in it soon.
http://stores.ebay.com/MONTECRISTI-ULTRAFINO-PANAMA-HATS

HatDoc

One of the Regulars
Nic Charles said:
I couldn't agree with you more on the Montechisti Ultrafino traditional Panama hats! I just received one today from them off of ebay for about $40.00 and it looks like an original. Very light weight and very fine weaving. It even has the classic crease (upwards) in the center of the crown. I'll try to post an image of me in it soon.
http://stores.ebay.com/MONTECRISTI-ULTRAFINO-PANAMA-HATS

Not to hijack the thread, but which hat did you get? I find it hard to believe that Ultrafino is selling Montecristi's at that price. Sure it's not a Cuenca?

Atticus......awesome lid. You look great in it. I always liked LBJ in his OR. Thanks for the "warning" about the stiffness, though. That would make me lean more towards a true panama.

Anyone have any experience with the Stetson Retro?

Randy

Nic Charles

Familiar Face
Classic Colonial Panama

HatDoc said:
Not to hijack the thread, but which hat did you get? I find it hard to believe that Ultrafino is selling Montecristi's at that price. Sure it's not a Cuenca?

Randy,

I bought the Classic Colonial Panama, made of toquilla palm. This is the style I always pictured when I hear Panama Hat. I don't know if it was an over stock or what, but I did pay $34.99 plus shipping.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...ih=008&category=2998&_trksid=p1742.m153.l1262

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav