Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Strolling in the rain

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
Since starting to wear fedoras in the spring, I've found that when it's rainy out instead of running to get inside, I saunter to my destination with a sort of slightly smug superiority that I'm not getting while while other people are.

Is there something wrong with me, or are there other hat lovers out there that stroll through the rain with a degree of impunity now?

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I know if it is raining I still go out for my evening walk. I particularly enjoy the quiet as no one else it out in the rain. Does that count?
Johnny

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
I love the smell of rain; that's for sure. I always want to be camping when it starts raining.

I used to panic if I was wearing a fedora and it started raining. Since I've gotten higher quality hats over the years, as well as vintage ones, I don't worry as much. I know they can handle it.

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
im more of an umbrella gortex type

FurFeltFedora said:
Since starting to wear fedoras in the spring, I've found that when it's rainy out instead of running to get inside, I saunter to my destination with a sort of slightly smug superiority that I'm not getting while while other people are.

Is there something wrong with me, or are there other hat lovers out there that stroll through the rain with a degree of impunity now?

nothing wrong with that...here in haifa the rainy season/winter approaches, and while last year was dissapointing, there were several downpours, equivalent to any tropical downpour in the deep south. my llbean gore-tex jacket with hood kept me bone dry, while everyone ran for cover, i sauntered too- and my backpack comes with somekind of waterproof hood you strip over it- so i was stylin :D

not sure if i would take a felt into these types of rains though- would be a bit intense, like wearing it in the shower

rrog

A-List Customer
I feel it too. In fact, I usually park in the farthest corner of parking lots just so I can get a little extra exercise when coming and going from a store. With my fedora on, I don't care about the rain. I just walk at my normal pace and forget about it.

rrog

rrog

A-List Customer
indycop, don't look now, but I think you've just been hit by a tsunami.

:eek:

But that Akubra looks like it's hanging tough.

rrog

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Do you guys waterproof your hats?

I read this about hats and rain on another site, I believe written by Mr. Delk:

Anyone who wears felt hats need to invest in water repellant treatment, and keep the hat treated. If it rains, once the hat is dry, retreat it. Most water repellants will wear out, over time and exposure. ...Remember, a felt hat is not an oilskin hat. Felt really was not designed as serious rain gear. There are better materials for that. But, felt will keep the head dry, if it is good dense felt, like pure beaver. But if you want modern hats to keep their shape, TREAT IT, and do it often.

But it seems here no one worries about it. So...what's the bottom line?

univibe88

One Too Many
I love walking in the rain while wearing a fedora. I never even think of treating it. In fact, I think all of my hats look better after being broken in by a few rain/snow storms.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Blackthorn
If you have a hat like an Akubra or a pure beaver hat, then you should not have an issue. These hats were designed to last years with regular abuse. With that being said if you want it to be looking like new 20 years from now, yes you may want to protect it from time to time.
My two cents worth.
Johnny

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
johnnycanuck said:
Blackthorn
If you have a hat like an Akubra or a pure beaver hat, then you should not have an issue. These hats were designed to last years with regular abuse. With that being said if you want it to be looking like new 20 years from now, yes you may want to protect it from time to time.
My two cents worth.
Johnny
Actually I'd rather my Fed IV looked a bit (or a lot) weathered, but don't want it falling apart due to the threads in it rotting out. It rained here about a month ago and I went walking in it wearing my heritage grade Fed IV and it was fine the next day but I began wondering if there would be long term effect.

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Akubra felts, like Stetsons, were originally made for the bloke on the land - the kind of bloke who'd shake his head and laugh at us city boys worrying about a bit of rain on their hat.

High Pockets

Practically Family
I can't imagine removing my hat for fear it might get wet.
It's on my head for several reasons, one of which is to keep my head dry.
If I find one of my hats can't take the rain without some kind of problem, it'll find it's worthless self listed on ebay looking for a new home.:)

:D My Fed IV did it's job just this morning on the way to and from Early Mass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart