Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suspect Irvin flying jacket

John Warr

Familiar Face
I have sitting before me an "Irvin" flying jascket. And it looks a "wrong 'un" to me.

There are NO vent eyelets under the arms. The back of the collar is stitched "crosswise" not zigzag, and there is no band over the collar seam.. The neck strap is an eyelet & buckle type, not double "D" rings and is the wrong way round (Strap where buckle should be). All zips are Aero. The half belt loops look too wide & are sewn on rather than sewn in. There are two on the right hand side and one on the left. The belt its self looks like reversed cowhide. I would not have expected it to be shiny inside. The inside of the collare is similar, and the hanging loop MAY have been on the collar.Stitch length is very short. The back is a single pannel. Does anyone have any comments about this garment ? I will (if no-one objects) also post this information elsewhere.

Pictures are here :

http://www.bysonleather.co.uk/Odds%20&%20Sods.htm

Steven C P

New in Town
Hi John,
Not an Irvin jacket but a copy of the type that was made from the 50's onwards, the one panel back, the seam taping and the triangular belt loop reinforcements lead me to this conclusion without even seeing the zips !

The main protagonist "Roy" in the film 633 Squadron wears one, so all is not lost, they wear quite like an original but the little details are wrong as you have observed !
They were not made to fool anyone and are perfectly serviceable although imho not worth spending loads on restoring unless of sentimental value. Pryde and Clarke or similar is, I think the manufacturer but if you contact Aswatland on this forum I am sure he will confirm the maker and possibly the vintage of this jacket.
Hope this helps,

Steven.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Your jacket is most certainly post War. I call these utility Irvins in that they are made of low grade materials, including vinyl on some. They often had Clix or Aero zips and were popular in the late '40s/1950s, with production lasting through the 60s. They were made for the civilian market, Pride and Clarke was one of the main makers of these jacket. They were often used as bike jackets, but of course so were many Irvins post War.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy