Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Take it off!!! (Let's hear what you think, ladies.)

Rooster

Practically Family
How about these bad boys from Texas?
I had a beard like that for many years. Probably has something to do with not getting married untill I was 30. Chicks don't dig ZZ Top styled beards.:eusa_doh:

PastimeSteve

One of the Regulars
What if...

My apologies for resurrecting this thread, but the comments about facial hair on the "What do you look like thread" got me thinking.

Regarding facial hair, what if a guy (me) has what I consider to be a youthful looking face or a "weak" chin? Is that when a goatee is acceptable or encouraged even in situations where some of you ladies don't like facial hair?

My wife won't come out and tell me this, but I think the baby face/weak chin is why she strongly encourages me to keep the goatee. I don't really like it myself.

I'd appreciate your honest thoughts, because it has been bugging me for a while.

To see what I look like, visit the jackets forum and check out my post on my Gibson and Barnes Expedition leather jacket. I didn't want to post yet another picture of myself... :eek:

Steve

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Steve,

I have similar chin issues. I'm 36, when I shave it all off, I still get carded (well, less since the eyewrinkles have started coming in) but with stubble or the beard I don't. I have gotten a lot of complements since I grew the goatee.

With -
newwork01.jpg

Without-
workpic.jpg

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
And this thread returns.

I personally have a pretty weak chin/jawline. A beard can fill in that yucky negative space, if you know what I mean. Some people just look better bearded -- still not sure if I do, but some people do!

Zig2k143

Practically Family
I think weak chin or not... If you like the look go for it... If the person you're with doesn't like it that is there issue. They should love you for who you are... Not who they want you to be. :)

carebear said:
Steve,

I have similar chin issues. I'm 36, when I shave it all off, I still get carded (well less since the eyewrinkles have started coming in) but with stubble or the beard I don't. I have gotten a lot of complements since I grew the goatee.

With -
newwork.jpg

Without-
workpic.jpg

The with ain't working for me but I see the avatar.
I have a friend whose wife makes him wear the same thing because he looks more "manly" with it. :eusa_doh: ;) Unfortunately, in his case, I have to agree with her. [huh]

Regards,

J

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
PastimeSteve said:
Regarding facial hair, what if a guy (me) has what I consider to be a youthful looking face or a "weak" chin? Is that when a goatee is acceptable or encouraged even in situations where some of you ladies don't like facial hair?

My wife won't come out and tell me this, but I think the baby face/weak chin is why she strongly encourages me to keep the goatee. I don't really like it myself.

If the Mrs. likes it, keep it. ;)
Good advice for a happy marriage.

Actually, the goatee looks good on you. Making you look more your age is just a nice perk. If you want to try going without it, I suggest the same thing I suggest to fellows wanting to start facial hair, do it while on vacation. It gives you a chance to get it started/see what you think without the constant comments.

Just a thought.

PastimeSteve

One of the Regulars
Joie DeVive said:
If the Mrs. likes it, keep it. ;)
Good advice for a happy marriage.

Now, Joie, my friend, don't go talking sense. Let me be irrational, please? lol

Thanks guys. Carebear, both look great to me. We do have similar facial features -- I don't know, maybe I'm just tired of the goatee. I've had it (aside from a couple of shaving accidents) for the better part of four years.

Steve

MrPumpernickel

One of the Regulars
Right now my beard is a mess (i.e. like this), but that is mainly because I'm saving it out so I have a proper amount of behairing to work with in a month or so. Working so I can create something disguising as a handlebar mustache.

I've worn plenty of other styles as well, aside from looking like a hobo. Some better than others.

Though this is my usual length and style:

20070406ichbinbehaart.jpg

As far as I've seen all guys look better with beards, aside from stubble because that just look unkempt.

Women with beards, hey, go for it. Just make sure it looks nice, if your hairgrowth is uneven I wouldn't recommend growing it out. Tufty beards doesn't work on anyone, regardless of gender.

pretty faythe

One Too Many
In general, I think it depends on the confidence of the person, plus the shape of the face, etc, if they can pull various looks off. I have known some fellas who I have meet with facial hair and as soon as they have shaved it off, ugh, its something they needed back on, it was like they were missing something essential. Then I have also known some fellas who have loooked like they were playing dress up. [huh]

52Styleline

A-List Customer
I have white hair and a short white full beard. I've had the beard for many years. As Red Green (a great Canadian) says. "After you have had a beard for more than a few years it is no longer a fashion statement. It is a commitment. Nothing under the beard has gotten better looking since you grew it so do everyone a favor and keep the beard".

I do get some interesting looks from small children in December. ;)

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It depends on the man

I'm still reeling from reading that not only do wives tell husbands what to do, but that the husbands do it! Sigh, I also wish I had a handy husband. He's a breaker; he thinks the floor is the best place to store sunglasses.
My dad had white hair and a white beard and it looked as good on him as on Ernest Hemingway and Santa Claus. When hubby tries to grow a mustache while he's on leave it looks smarmy. My brother who has red hair never tried and that is probably wise, it wouldn't look good. He does draw on a mustache whenever he comes down for breakfast in ascot and dressing gown, however.
Looks good, carebear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21