Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tattoos.

sixsexsix

Practically Family
pretty faythe said:
My mom (who is turning 58) would get one, but she is afraid of needles. So she watches when me, my sis, our niece, etc get ours done. lol

my ex's grandmother got a bluebird on her forearm at 67. pretty amazing!

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
The problem is the name of the thread. It can indicate that this is a discussion thread about tats, which it has been, on and off. Though I don't agree with the harsh anti-tat sentiment, it's certainly a valid point of view and germane to this discussion.

This thread has also turned into a "show us your tats" thread, which should probably be its own thread, free from the pro vs. anti tat discussion. I would suggest starting such a new thread and for posters to move their photos accordingly. Heck, I'll get you started.

That's just my two cents.

Maguire said:
I can only imagine how my father would react to tattoos but i doubt it would be good. While i'm certainly not saying one can't be a "good" person if they have a tattoo, it still is a telling of how they are, much the way how someone dresses or speaks says something about them.

And the fact that people today are more accepting of things that are oddities does not mean that we should all have to accept them. The World may have gone insane but i don't have to!

either way if being arrogant or turning my nose on people isn't going to make me lose out, i've already quite content with the few folks i know and i don't need to meet other people for the sake of it. Just as you find this offensive, i find all that offensive. And i certainly would never do this at work and tend to be courteous to nearly everyone, but in my private life i am entitled to do just that. And i'm not judging because i see myself as special. I always hated that line, that "don't judge me!" While here its not being used in a really serious way, I hear it all the time when someone makes a serious error and it is pointed out. It doesn't change the error, its simply a way to turn accuse the accusor i guess. Its not a real argument.

Also i'd say: some of my closest friends have unfortunately done gone tattoos. I naturally spoke against it as best i could but i'll just let them feel like fools eventually on their own. Some others had tattoos but realized how silly they were and is currently getting rid of all of them

and dolly: you were bullied for tattoos or piercings or whatnot?? Well that begs the question, why make yourself stand out so much with that reaction? I'm sorry but i can't be sympathetic. I can be sympathetic to people bullied for things they can't help but you can help that. I'm curious as to why you'd go out of your way for something that would lead to being bullied?

:eek:

*takes a deep breath to try and calm herself* At 13, I was nowhere near old enough to be pierced or tattooed, I didn't say I was bullied for that, I said I was bullied because I looked different, how dare you suggest I look for such appalling attention. I didn't want to be bullied and you DARE to say I asked for it. Mate, you know sweet f.a. and you really are pushing me here. I had my first tattoo when I was 18, a small one on my back that hardly anyone knows about, I had my bellybutton pierced around the same time, and my toungue pierced not long after. What is so offensive about any of this?? What of these actions deserves to be bullied for? At this point I had already been bullied almost every day for 5 years, so what, pray tell, had I done to deserve it in that time.

You're rude, judgemental and arrogant, not to mention...well, I won't say it because it's not ladylike.

Do people bully you because you dress different? Going by your own beliefs ('Well that begs the question, why make yourself stand out so much with that reaction?'), you're asking for it.

You make me sick. Why bother coming here if you have such an appaling attitude? Or is it just to irritate people?

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I believe Scotrace said to STOP IT.

ALL OF YOU. NO MATTER WHICH SIDE OF THE ARGUMENT YOU FALL ON.

STOP POSTING FOR A WHILE ON THIS.

Go breathe....take a walk...have some coffee...no wait...no coffee.....

Go hug someone who matters to you....whatever helps, but stop replying to other posters in this thread.

Miss Neecerie said:
I believe Scotrace said to STOP IT.

ALL OF YOU. NO MATTER WHICH SIDE OF THE ARGUMENT YOU FALL ON.

STOP POSTING FOR A WHILE ON THIS.

Go breathe....take a walk...have some coffee...no wait...no coffee.....

Go hug someone who matters to you....whatever helps, but stop replying to other posters in this thread.

So I can't put someone right when they make comments about things they know nothing about that concern me??? Ah right.

Miss Neecerie said:
Personal attacks are not tolerated.

He attacks...then you attack back.....

Everyone was told to stop it..including him.

I believe I was putting him right on a certain matter. Why do some people get kicked off for such opinions and others don't? Makes no sense. Some people are able to come here and just be offensive and it's ok.

I've always stuck up for myself and don't intend to stop now.

DSC00008-3.jpg

*gasp* could it be...They're covered...I look *gulp* normal??!! Acceptable? Fit to go out in public even??

Maguire

Practically Family
scotrace said:
Maguire - that's about enough.

Let me remind everyone of Miss Neecerie's sobering and wise admonishment that folks who go out and about in 50 year old clothes and hairstyles and hats and dead people's shoes might not have much room to make judgement calls about anyone else's appearance.
I've said about all i was going to anyway.

As to your last point when it comes to men's fashion, in terms of suits not much has really changed. the guy on the street sees a black suit or a pinstripe suit and really isn't going to be able to say "hey that's of such and such fabric and must be from 1968!". I'm not one for playing dress up either, but then again even the slightest deviation is going to draw attention, whether its wearing a hat or a pocket watch, etc.

And to dolly- i wasn't asking that as a bait or to get a rise out of you, it was a genuine question of curiosity.

LaMedicine

One Too Many
Just from the medical point of view.

If you choose to have sleeve tats, it's preferable that you leave your inner elbow area uninked.
The texture of the skin changes with tats, and it becomes difficult to feel the veins for drawing blood samples or giving IVs. The veins at the elbow are the best as they are relatively large, and close to the surface, but the older the tats get, the less resilent the skin texture becomes, increasing the difficulty, unless your veins are very prominent from repeated use, which in itself makes them difficult to use, as the vein walls become thick and the inner diameter becomes smaller. (Of course, with central venous lines, this isn't an issue.)

I've even known a patient who would flop on his belly whenever he needed an IV or have his blood drawn, because he had a whole body tat from forearm to calf that left only the back side of his knees free, and that was the only area anyone--lab techs, EMTs, nurses, drs-- could get at a usable vein, other than the back of his hands and the instep of his feet.

On more thing. Be very very sure that the artist uses new, sterilized disposable needles that are thrown away every time, and never retrieved secretly and reused, even if they are sterilized again. Contamination from tat needles were often an issue in the past, and I konw quite a few Heptatitis C patients whose cause of infection are tats--from contaimnated needles.

Culturally speaking, there are still cultures where tats are taken to indicate certain groups of people, and not acceptable nor fashionable as it is in European and US cultures for the average person, so, when going abroad, it's best to be discreet with them, unless you are very sure that it's otherwise. Though, I'm sure FLers are quite sensible in this respect.

magnolia76

One of the Regulars
When I went in for my laser consult, the doctor told me that now tattoo artists are tattooing with ink that is easily removed by a laser. It's always a safe bet to check if your tat artist is familiar with it... just in case!!

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Tats'

I have seen some spectacular tatoos ....and they were on inmates.

I have seen nice tatoos on many friends. It is their choice. I personally don't care for one myself.

If I DID want a tatoo, I would use those temporary "henna" ink ones that last a few weeks and then wash off. As MK said earlier in this thread...there isn't an image anywhere that I would want permanent on my skin.

Besides...I hate needles anyway.:eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner