Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

carter

I'll Lock Up
Those two jackets are terrific.

Is the jacket on the left a modified version of the A-2?
earhart2.jpg

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Another aviatrix that comes to mind, but I can't find a photo of, is Catherine Zeta-Joes' character in The Phantom. Not a great movie, but what a great look! For that matter, Kristy Swanson in the same movie. Kristy's outfits are even better, since she's not wearing all black, all the time.

Mike K.

One Too Many
carter said:
Is the jacket on the left a modified version of the A-2?
The collar and pockets look more like an A-1.

As soon as I sell/ebay my poorly-fitting riding boots I think that I'll be looking to get a pair of these beauties...
engcusbrn.jpg

Mike K.

One Too Many
Sorry. They're Diaz boots, closer in appearance to the ones shown above minus the buckles. They zip closed along the back. They were supposed to be a size 9 but ended up fitting more like an 8 to 8 1/2.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Oh, you Bartenders and your secret buttons! It's a good thing you like me, or you could really make me look like a cretin for tormenting you like that! lol

Here's the rest of that post:

Here's Kristy in hers, too.

co6.jpg

Mike K.

One Too Many
Great galloping gorillas!!

Hornady has resurrected the venerable .450 Nitro Express 3¼"

450_nitro_glam.jpg

Introduced by the John Rigby Company in 1898, the 450 Nitro Express 3¼" was the cartridge by which all other dangerous game cartridges were measured. Originally stoked with cordite and a 480 grain bullet, the original 450 Nitro Express ammo quickly replaced the massive 8, 6, and 4-bore black powder cartridges that were the standard of their day.

Hornady's 450 NE comes in two bullet styles to suit any dangerous game situation - the Dangerous Game Solid (DGS) and the Dangerous Game Expanding (DGX), both in 480 grain like the originals.

Now will somebody manufacture a quality express rifle at a decent price!

Ugarte

A-List Customer
Mike K. said:
Never seen that way to lace a boot before...thanks Ugarte.
I think Jack was more interested in that martini anyhow.

An odd coincidence: I enjoyed a Martini in just such an iconic glass last evening. I chose to forgo the the garnish as it's a small glass and olives take up so much room.

I think tonight I may try a Vodka Martini. Of course, I'll have to opt for a whisper of regular Vermouth as I have never seen an actual bottle of Lillet Blanc.

But I digress....

Cheers!

Mark

Mike K.

One Too Many
Story said:
Those words don't fit togethor in one sentence, except in the Land of Nod.
Well, it can't hurt to dream a little. :rolleyes:
Actually, I've had my eye on the Pedersoli Kodiak Mk.IV chambered for the .45-70 cartridge. There's a handful of people out there that have had success rechambering to the .450NE (without having to re-regulate the barrels). I don't anticipate any dangerous game hunting in the near future so the .45-70 will work fine for me, and with the availability of high-power Garrett cartridges who knows? It's still a pricey express rifle (with many good reviews), but not anywhere near the cost of a Rigby, H&H, etc.
S.890.jpg

Yorker

New in Town
Mike K. said:
Well, it can't hurt to dream a little. :rolleyes:
Actually, I've had my eye on the Pedersoli Kodiak Mk.IV chambered for the .45-70 cartridge. There's a handful of people out there that have had success rechambering to the .450NE (without having to re-regulate the barrels). I don't anticipate any dangerous game hunting in the near future so the .45-70 will work fine for me, and with the availability of high-power Garrett cartridges who knows? It's still a pricey express rifle (with many good reviews), but not anywhere near the cost of a Rigby, H&H, etc.
S.890.jpg
You'll probably never find a good cheap express rifle, it is one of those things like racing cars, how does the saying go? Fast, Cheap, good- pick any two?

I heard of issues with the Pedersolis which led me to abandon them, The guys I knew who had them said the barrels were poorly regulated right out of the box. Things may have changed by now but with the exchange rate going to hell they aren't a real good deal IMHO.

Perhaps a 1895 Winchester in .405 would suffice?
RSbig_0401_225A.jpg

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/featured_rifles/big_0401/

J.A. Daub

New in Town
Express Rifles - not quite as $$$

I've also heard that the Pedersoli isn't quite all that. If you are willing to sacrifice a bit (well maybe a lot) these rifles aren't out of reach. Right now Champlin Arms has a Kreighoff .470NE in the Classic for sale at under ten thousand, well only a hundred bucks under but still;) There is also a .500 3" BPE made by Purdey for the Marquis of Ripon, yes, THAT Marquis of Ripon.

The big Express rifles were a minority in Africa anyway, they were usually priced out of the league of most of the gentlemen sportsmen. The Mauser actioned NE rifles were more popular and after Rigby lost the exclusive rights to the big magnum action everyone was building a big magazine rifle.

Another choice that would look quite right would be a Ruger No.1 in .450/400NE 3". Since in looks this is just a modified Farquharson action it is a perfectly period choice of firearm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace