Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Antipodean thread

MikeBravo

One Too Many
LordBest said:
Without going into the politics of the matter, the comparison is not apt. Victorian Labor were heading for certain defeat, whereas Federal Labour has recieved an election winning result in all but three of the past two dozen plus polls taken since May.

Interesting times, regardless. Congratulations to our first female Prime Minister.

Like I said, October will tell

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"Oh beady eyed Julie Bishop, my local member, must be spitting chips, she so wanted to be the first female PM"

julie-bishop-050412.jpg

We will probably end up with our own version of "Julie & Julia"

[YOUTUBE]7PE_vr0t3FA&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

"She'll be working more than 9 till 5"

[YOUTUBE]C5ODFUXvi3U[/YOUTUBE]

Oh and Jackie Loeb's career is about to hit PAYDIRT!!!!

[YOUTUBE]DBraee8tPZE&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Scarily True

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Viola said:
May I come say hello in this thread? I have just today been informed by my migration officer I have leave to come into aus on my prospective spousal visa!

Hooray, I love my man but long-distance relationships can go jump.

I won't dissemble - I am just so happy I am telling everyone.

That's great! Hope we do get to catch up while you're here. My sister lives at Campbelltown, and I'm only half an hour from Camden myself. It'll great to meet you in person!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I could have posted this in the reading thread but I thought I'd post this here as I'm sure a number of Aussies here might like this.

Bit of a recommendation for "Almost Unknown" - the biography of Tony Gaze by Stewart Wilson. Tony is an Aussie who flew Spitfires in the war over Europe becoming an ace and then went on to become a successful racing driver after the war. An extraordinary life that could have come out of one of those "Boy's Own" adventure stories.

Keep an eye out for it guys, these old blokes should be remembered, and it's an absorbing read.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for the heads-up Smithy, I'll watch out for it on my travels. The ABC Stores have lots of good Aussie WW2 books stocked these days, most notably Paul Ham's Kokoda.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"Rosy The Riveter"

"Today at Lunch time i was in the ENNEx 100 Building here in town when i glanced upon a charming young lady with a Polka Dot "Rosy the riveter" head scarf, Victory red lipstick, and beauty spot! I saw her look at my brown and white spectators, and she gave a wink!, Is she a Lounger or a Lounge Loiterer?, I ask myself"

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Monday, July 5th, I arrive in Sydney airport, and officially become an Antipodean Lounger. Traveling with one not-so-vintage nylon duffel, and two vintage suitcases! We'll see how it goes. I am so terrified but very excited.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Viola said:
Traveling

Well now that you're becoming an Antipodean you're going to have to add another "l" to make it travelling :D

No need to be terrified, I'm sure you'll fit right in and end up thinking making the shift was the best thing you ever did. It's a fantastic country with wonderful people and so much opportunity.

You picked the wrong state of course but you can't win 'em all lol

Viola

Call Me a Cab
James71 said:
Bring plenty of warm clothes Viola.... Its cold here this time of year.

I'm going to be good and bring some cardigans, just to be safe, but I remember a July in Katoomba I was in tank tops; the locals thought me mad. I would posit, however, it is NOT cold this time of year. :p

James71

A-List Customer
As we speak it is a bright sunny afternoon, and a whole 6 degrees C.

When my wife moved from the states (PA) here she found it colder than she expected, primarily because here we dont typically have furnaces. She was used to enduring the cold between a well heated house, a well heated car and a well heated shopping centre.

We live in a 100 year old mountain cottage, and it is heated by fireplace. If you arent dilligent at keeping it lit all night the mornings can be down right freezing.

At times it is warmer in my fridge than in my kitchen... lol.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Benny Holiday said:
Cheeky bloke! lol Not necessarily the wrong state . . . but definitely the most expensive one! lol :eek:

Benny, you guys got any gigs for down this way coming up?

Puzzicato

One Too Many
James71 said:
When my wife moved from the states (PA) here she found it colder than she expected, primarily because here we dont typically have furnaces. She was used to enduring the cold between a well heated house, a well heated car and a well heated shopping centre.

I went to university with a Swedish girl who said the two winters she spent in Sydney were the coldest she had ever been in her life - no central heating and the cold and damp soaks into your bones.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Puzzicato said:
I went to university with a Swedish girl who said the two winters she spent in Sydney were the coldest she had ever been in her life - no central heating and the cold and damp soaks into your bones.

That's so true Puzzicato. I have lived in Norway twice (and the first time was inside the Arctic Circle in northern Norway) and I have to say I have "felt" colder down this way and especially in NZ. It's the dampness which hits, lack of central heating, and especially proper insulation in houses. Obviously in winter in Norway if there's any moisture it freezes so it's a dry cold, and when you go outside you are dressed for it, thermals, jumpers, gloves, proper boots, coats, jackets, scarves.

We did an experiment in our last place in NZ, it was a cold night, and was recording 2C outside, and the temperature inside was 4!

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Smithy, that is so true! I always say Winters in NZ felt waaaaay colder than anything I've had in the last 11 years in England - including our pretty chilly last Winter where we got a fair bit of snow.

I grew up in a house surrounded by bush, with only our Living room heated, and it was cold. As you say, it's the damp that makes it feel so darned chilly.

I say this from a very warm English Summer evening! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy