Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Antipodean thread

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I second the Manly thing. I lived in Manly (just off Darley Road) back in '99 for a bit. Lovely part of Sydney, more laid back than the CBD.

If you do take the trip, enjoy a stroll up the Corso and keep an eye out for the pelicans round Manly Cove, and the bats in the evening.

If it's hot and you fancy a swim round there, avoid (most of) the crowds and go round to Shelly Beach.

gegarrenton

New in Town
You must go to The Rocks, to the Lord Nelson pub, and have a proper beer and a ploughman's lunch. But I won't make you eat the pickled egg if you really don't fancy it.

Also (touristy but worthwhile) is going to Harry's Cafe De Wheels in Woolloomooloo for a pie (I recommend the Tiger). It's been running since 1945, so it's a pretty vintage thing to do too!

I'm already on to meet a few folks who are friends of friends at Lord Nelson. Will scope out Harry's, thanks for the tips!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
We must be in the running for wettest November on record.

I'm not complaining though, the garden is all the better for it and the State government can't pull the old "you have to have short showers and not flush the loo" line anymore!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
They're saying it could be a wetter than usual summer in Victoria so I'd imagine it will be the same for you guys in NSW Lolly.

Funny if I think back a couple of years ago when we moved to Melbourne and it was severe drought here. Dams were only at about 30%. Now they are about 50 or 60.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Well we have had the Hottest November on record!!!

[video=youtube;uUqKcSxioxg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUqKcSxioxg&feature=related[/video]

I cant place the face in this advertisement any ideas? she was in heaps of Aussie movies in the 1970's, had a posh accent if i remember correctly is it Wendy Hughes?

wendy_wideweb__470x354,0.jpg

http://www.theage.com.au/news/enter...le-era-for-film/2009/04/14/1239474872039.html

Hughes is probably best known for her role as Vanessa in Careful, He Might Hear You, for which she was nominated for seven AFI awards, and named the year's best actress. The film was also judged that year's best. As the aloof, emotionally naive aunt who has returned from England, Hughes parades in the most spectacular costumes, designed by Bruce Finlayson.

"He was just meticulous," she says. "I'd just had a baby … and I said I can't hold my stomach in, I can't get it as flat as it should be. He said, 'we'll make a girdle.' It was like being in concrete, you know, it was unbelievable. I wore it though, and that stomach looks pretty flat."

Last edited:

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Inside-History-cover.jpg

“… Inside History is for people passionate about Australian and New Zealand history and heritage, whether it’s their family’s ancestry, or in a broader social context. Published bi-monthly and beautifully designed, Inside History provides insightful and practical features to its readers. Its 80 pages are packed with advice, articles and expert tips on genealogy, and stories on Australia and New Zealand’s varied history, from tales about century-old houses and country towns, to heritage gardens and biographies of our famous (and infamous) citizens …”

It is well written, well laid-out and contains great content, and I do believe this magazine will be a winner, and a welcome addition to any Australian history buff’s collection.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Many thanks for the heads up Binkie, that's sounds a great mag.

I'll definitely pick up a copy when I see it.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Just a small piece of trivia...

Today (13th December) in 1642 Abel Tasman discovered NZ, although the Maori weren't too thrilled about it and bumped off 4 of his crew!

Some believe that the Spaniards reached NZ first due to some bits and pieces found round NZ but that's open to debate.

Last edited:

cookie

I'll Lock Up
You must go to The Rocks, to the Lord Nelson pub, and have a proper beer and a ploughman's lunch. But I won't make you eat the pickled egg if you really don't fancy it.

Also (touristy but worthwhile) is going to Harry's Cafe De Wheels in Woolloomooloo for a pie (I recommend the Tiger). It's been running since 1945, so it's a pretty vintage thing to do too!

When the Sydney Loungers took the Guy in Charge (Mike Kay) out to lunch and dinner we went to the Rocks and Manly and finished up at the Lord Nelson for a few drinks followed by poizza at the Rocks and a night out at the Hilton Marble Bar....way to go!

shazzabanazza

Practically Family
Hi all,

Im Shazza from NZ :) I love the 50's era even though it was well before my time (im 26). Looking forward to joining in the convo with fellow southerners :)

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Which part of NZ are you from Shazza? I'm an Aucklander, although my immediate family live down in Christchurch now.

Hope you're getting a decent summer over there. We hit 40 degrees here on New Year's Eve which I'll never quite get used to!

shazzabanazza

Practically Family
Im in Auckland. Have lived in West Auckland all my live :) Where bouts in Auckland did you live Smithy?

OMG 40 degress! Crazy! I wouldn't be able to cope with that! Summer over here has been pretty nice so far. Beautiful day yesterday and today :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy