Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Antipodean thread

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I hate Neighbours for the sheer fact that I think it portrays Australia incorrectly to the rest of the world. And for that matter, Home and Away.

I haven't seen the Dr. Blake Mysteries. I have heard of them, however. I should get around to watching them. They look interesting.

dr greg

One Too Many
ATTENTION SYDNEYSIDERS
I'm comin to town
sQv6GX4.jpg

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I drove in to Annandale last night for Greg's book launch at the Deus Cafe. Got to meet the gentleman himself and purchase a copy of Coorparoo Blues and the Irish Fandango, which Greg kindly signed for me. Nice to hear him perform on the bass and talk about the book and of course meet him at last. I'm really looking forward to reading his work.

It was a busy night for Greg but typcially we had to discuss our lids and he was sporting an excellent 1940s Borsalino with butter soft felt in a very rich rust-brown colour. I wouldn't have expected less! Peter Doyle of Devil's Jump fame was also there, I've read two of his books but didn't talk to him as he too was having a busy evening. The blues singer/keyboardist Mohini Cox was great and the venue was quite full. I'l definitely have to check out the motorcycle and accessories shop next door Deus Ex Machina; they look to have a great range of vintage-styled workwear and motorcycle clothing for sale.

Benny Holiday

Greg I've just finished a Michael Crichton book I've been reading so I'll be starting on Coorparoo Blues tonight, really looking forward to it! It's one thing to read James Ellroy's world of 1940s or early 50s crime in LA, but to be able to immerse myself in the murky underworld of WWII Australia is going to be a real treat much easier to relate to.

Let me know next time you're in town so we can catch up mate. Thanks for a thoroughly enjoyable evening of great music and literature and a room full of interesting people.

Benny Holiday

And a groovy shirt it is! Four chapters in mate and Coorparoo Blues is a cracker read, conveying beautifully heat, humidity, the sunlight, and by contrast, the dark, seamy side of WWII Brisbane. Some great lines in there . . . won't quote them to spoil it for everyone, it's enough to say that the characters are vivid and in no way tame, and I'm hooked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ