Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Boss is here

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Hi Everyone,
In another thread we have been discussing the Quatermain hat in King Soloman's Mine and I have been working on a prototype for that hat. I have had to order more felts to make it so in the mean time Ii have played with some 'what ifs" on this style. So, what if, I coerced a felt maker to dye some pure beaver felts to a color that isn't offered, and what if I took the same style but only one brim, and what if I dressed it up rather than "bush" it out, and since we named the KS hat "Bwana" what if we renamed this hat with the same meaning but different term...I think we'd have "The Boss"
Please allow me to intruduce you to "The Boss"
The Boss in Palomino

myronw

New in Town
Hi Art,

I like it! I was hesitant to say anything, but I think the whole double brim thing would look pretty dorky in real life... Where would you wear something like that? Either of yours with the single brim, although I like this one much better than the one with the funny pugaree would look great almost anywhere. How about some comparison photos to give us a clearer idea of that palomino color, though.

Keep smiling,

Myron

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Thanks Myron, I'll take some with the Silverbelly in the same shot and get them up tonight when I get back from the shop. The color in the shots is pretty accurate though.
BB, I'll try one with your choices to see what it looks like. No promises, just playing. You might be on to another style.

Michael D

Familiar Face
I love it!

Art,

I love this hat! The style is really classy especially with the ribbon and the color is just too cool!! How stiff is the felt? Is it cowboy hat stiff?

How much $$ ?

Mike

Michaelson

One Too Many
Is that the actual color, or the color combined with the lighting? It's hard to tell on my monitor. Regards. Michaelson

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Michael, the hat is 100% beaver, soft soft soft ( not cowboy stiff) and is priced as my other beavers at $275
Michaelson, the color is pretty true on my monitor but who knows what you are seeing ( we all know monitor read differently) . It is a golden brown with dark brown ribbon that has just a hint of red in it. I've seen this color in vintage hats for years and have always loved it. I had 12 made for me as a favor from the felter and to see how many have the same taste in hats as me. As you know I'm a little on the wild side in my hats.))

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Kemo-sabe?

Hmmm... that's another good hat name...

Now that's a smart hat- like a city Fedora having a day at the Ranch...
...hmmm, sounds familiar...
...that's a Western felt, correct? a little heavier than yer average Fed-

But not being 'khaki-ish' and having no pug' it is definitely screaming Fedora.

I think the Bwana (the other one, the Bwana-Bwana)still may need a broader brim, some taper, lower crown and a different bash to make it a little more 'removed' from the Fedora world.

You like Peachy coloured hats Art? It's a nice colour- I'm imagining it's a little more Palomino than Peach in reality-

A beaut Kemosabe!-

Michaelson

One Too Many
Golden brown exactly describes what I'm seeing, so it's correct on my monitor! Neat! Never seen one 'glow' like this one does. Regards. Michaelson

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
HTML:
...that's a Western felt, correct? a little heavier than yer average Fed-

Nope BT, it's an extra larger dress body that enabled me to get a 3 1/4" brim out of it. It's remarkably thin overall. Not summer Borsalino thin, but thin. It a 120 gram body if you have a comparison point. Oh, and yes, I DO like peachy, burgundy, odd color hats. I really like to be different..just a personal quirk.))
You have the color down Michaelson..I didn't realize but your right, it does seem to glow. Even the rough body just "pops"

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
...looks a little peachy on my Apple Studio Display which I just re-calibrated but allowing for Arts use of Palomino, I'm imagining it's a little more on the tan side of peach.
It looks quite pale though-

I like it anyhow- I'll never see it in the flesh.

BT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy