Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cap Faction

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Randall, Razzman and Che, thanks very much for the kind words about the cap! I really appreciate them!
Che, let see us your cap, please!

T.T, looks great Belas cap on you. You know how to wear it!

Chepstow will do ..ill bump your post to compare when i do. TOO hot today 106 degrees the Cactus are happy & the cap is a thick wool supposedly my tailor made it from vintage wool yours is very nice .

T.T. i agree with Chepstow !:cool:

Adnamira

A-List Customer
A selection representing the different sizes, styles, brands and fabrics of caps in my collection. By no means extensive or prestigious in any criteria, but I thought it was interesting and maybe useful to any new cap buyers out there as regards to sizes of crowns, brims and linings of different sorts of caps. It's actually surprising, apart from the hat people and stetson cap, how little difference there is in size of these caps in spite of the brands and styles. The photos are probably at bit of an angle, so perspective might be in favour of the front caps, but it isn't too far off.

481972_10150940838857957_1452282420_n.jpg

Linings and brims

165806_10150940839912957_2021059679_n.jpg

Last edited:

Adnamira

A-List Customer
Oops, I forgot to take the safety pin out of the retro sport. I included the UBI (chinese brand) flat cap, because it is the only typical sized, regular style flat cap in my collection - I use it for renovation works in my house, painting and sanding and stuff like that. I think it is something to be taken note of the difference between this style of flat cap and the oversized ones. I think the extended brim, driver and bond caps represent construction that has a lot of potential, and could be at least as good as the more favoured 8 styles if someone were to make them with that purpose in mind - more width in the crown on the extended brim and bond caps in particular and they could be very good. The Wigens is very good, but more so for it's purpose rather than it's style (then again it's very well blocked and shaped) - it keeps your head and ears warm, which maybe a minor consideration if you are inclined to buy a cap for such an eccentric purpose. One glaring emission is a 6 piece cap. I think they maybe a cap with a lot of potential too. The Gabardine fabric in the retro sport is probably my favourite in regards to fabric; unfortunately the cap is a little big on me and the flat brim highlights the assymetry in my face... but I can see why everyone likes them - they are a good cap. As for the tweeds, I think the Lawrence and Foster has the best quality; the City Sport Donegal Tweeds are nice and soft, but the L&F tweed is a lot tighter weave (more like a Harris Tweed?) that seems like it would be very durable. The L&F is also lined with hessian - it's probably the warmest cap of the lot. The thing I like a lot and find interesting about the bond style is the absence of pleats in the back of the cap - I like how that feels on the back of my head and the vertical line gives the cap a good profile. I think it could be a little wider in the crown though.

Last edited:

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
The Gabardine fabric in the retro sport is probably my favourite in regards to fabric; unfortunately the cap is a little big on me and the flat brim highlights the assymetry in my face... but I can see why everyone likes them - they are a good cap.

Maybe if we installed a full leather sweatband it would fit you just right. ;)

Hepville

One of the Regulars
Some very fine new caps for some very fine gentlemen here... my congrats to your new purchases!
It´s nice to see such a variety because not every kind of cap (overall said) suits every body equally good. For me e.g. it´s a flat cap I love them but don´t wear them... at least I haven´t found one that i feel comfortable with.

That´s a nice showing, Jason. Besides your elaborate considerations this surely will help some gents here.
Harris Tweed weave: I have a wide collection of swatches of about 50 different Harris Tweeds. They tend to have a tight weave but there are also some with a more loose weave.

Johnny is right: Get a leather band istalled and the cap will fit... that should bring minus 0,5 to 1 cm in girth.

Adnamira

A-List Customer
Harris Tweed weave: I have a wide collection of swatches of about 50 different Harris Tweeds. They tend to have a tight weave but there are also some with a more loose weave.
I have this impression, which isn't based on extensive experience, that Harris tweed is generally a tighter weave than the Donegal tweed, but I guess maybe I am generalising. The looser weave tweeds I think also maybe a little cooler and the tighter weaves a bit warmer to wear.

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Yup the retro-sport that i had the leather sweatband installed will never droop, or fly away, slip, & i think is a better & cleaner feeling fit.. the leather seems to conform much better.. & you can do the side angal tilt nicely.
the fabric grosgrain sweat caps just dont see to much head time for me... yea a cap that has a leather sweat cost more but you'll wear it more too.

5panellady

New in Town
Hey Guys. A few questions I am hoping to get answered. I'm new to this lounge and may have posted in the wrong place.
1. Does anyone know what type of industrial sewing machine has a steam wand for the finishing process of 5 panel caps? I hear they exist, but that is all I can figure out.
2. Who manufactures custom die pattern cutters for small businesses? This has been a hard one for me to figure out.
3. Who are some of the best online fabric retailers and wholesalers?
Thanks so much! I look forward to a response.

Hepville

One of the Regulars
I have this impression, which isn't based on extensive experience, that Harris tweed is generally a tighter weave than the Donegal tweed, but I guess maybe I am generalising. The looser weave tweeds I think also maybe a little cooler and the tighter weaves a bit warmer to wear.

Maybe that´s because of the mechanic looms that are used to make the Harris Tweed... but I don´t know what looms are used e.g. for Donegal Tweed.
A tighter waeve is warmer to wear, you´re right.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
I'm not sure about that. I have Harris Tweed samples that have a pretty loose weave and some Thornproof Donegal from Harrison's of Edinburgh that is super tight.

Adnamira

A-List Customer
Ah, they must have different density weaves in both. Just all my city sport donegal tweeds are quite a soft, loose weave. I don't know what tweed is used in the Lawrence and Foster, but it is a lot denser - looks a little more durable, but I've always considered the City Sport caps more of a dress cap, rather than something you'd wear hunting deer or something. Wore my L&F in the rain the other day, and it got saturated. Eventually dried out alright without any harm - they must wear these caps out in the rain in England I expect. Well, allowed me to get the cap into a good shape. Somehow it has developed little batman ear like folds on either side - interesting effect. I'm wearing it around the house a lot on these cold days. I think I will become quite attached to this cap - you know sometimes you get an article of clothing you form an attachment to, not so much for the way it looks, but how it feels to wear. I like how the bond cap is both kind of baggy but also kind of structured, kind of daggy but kind of sophisticated - the rakish sheep farmer look :p

Hepville

One of the Regulars
Update

All five new caps are finally done! I´ll need to picture them and put them on Etsy. They will run in my shop under "Special Editions".
First five caps sold to loungers will get a 10% discount. When the caps are online I will post the coupon code.... hopefully I can make the pictures tomorrow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace