Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cap Faction

Mr.Astor

Banned
What about, the conversion corral, photos of hatters tools, show us you hat, post new hats here. The moderators have to be extremely naive or have a vested interest in some of the loungers to think they are not advertising their handiwork!!! I could site instances where they FL members are stating,I'm ready to go, send me your hats I'll sew in the sweat, I'll do your ribbon, I'll clean your hat, DUH! I can be just as mercenary but I choose not, because I treat them all as novices and learn from there ideas some albeit quite bizarre! this is a forum that when I came in it was to learn a hobby and have fun along the way.
If I were Art Fawcett I would think someone tied a F__T on me! The same for Tonyb!
Go set up an etsy store if you want to sell!
Personally I think anyone who has an etsy store should not be on this forum without being charge a premium for being a member.
Also goes for ebay postings!
Sorry for the rant, I've only been here for a little while but you can see the decline from old time guys that just wanted to have fun between ourselves!

There was always a function to pass along the vintage we no longer wanted or it turned out didn't fit. I don't know how an etsy store (typically small change affairs) is different to posting in the Classifieds section. For myself, I do a LOT of vintage shopping, and find a LOT of good vintage at good prices, which I often buy to pass on to people here at good prices. I make money on each and every one of those transactions, because I only pick up good stuff. Call it a finder's fee for those guys who're unfortunate enough to live in out of the way places with little access to vintage gear.

My god, where would FLounge collectors be without Garrett, Purplesage, Bond et al?

Personally I think anyone who has an etsy store should not be on this forum without being charge a premium for being a member.
Also goes for ebay postings!
Sorry for the rant, I've only been here for a little while but you can see the decline from old time guys that just wanted to have fun between ourselves!

Mr.Astor

Banned
I sense your frustration, as an artisan like you are,I have no problem with posting your work!! It's all in the artist that produced it and want's to show off his particular handiwork! If I like your work I will seek you out for my particular interest in what I would like you to produce for me.
In my estimation there are FL members that are pursuing a business relationship through the freedom of the lounge,without consequences ie: they pay no advertising fee for a business they are promoting.

Mr.Astor

Banned
There was always a function to pass along the vintage we no longer wanted or it turned out didn't fit. I don't know how an etsy store (typically small change affairs) is different to posting in the Classifieds section. For myself, I do a LOT of vintage shopping, and find a LOT of good vintage at good prices, which I often buy to pass on to people here at good prices. I make money on each and every one of those transactions, because I only pick up good stuff. Call it a finder's fee for those guys who're unfortunate enough to live in out of the way places with little access to vintage gear.

My god, where would FLounge collectors be without Garrett, Purplesage, Bond et al?

You my friend are quite an astute gentlemen! Worthy of the distinction!!!

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I think part of the problem is that the various cap makers here, whilst obviously being in competition, don't behave in that way. They encourage each other and there seems to be the understanding that 'if you make that style (such as the starfish), I'll make something different'. That cooperative, rather than competitive spirit, urged on by cap lovers who just want to see the revival of as many cap styles as possible, has made this such a vibrant area of the FL.

I think a solution needs to be found in order that the old enthusiasm of this thread isn't entirely transferred to Facebook.

And, at the bottom of all this, as I see it, Keith should not be treated as a vendor until such a time as we can actually order caps from him.

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Well I am saddened by this situation.
In the past we lost some very informative posts & detailed pics in regards to Johnny & Simonds efforts .....gone.....
As they received there influence right here on the lounge to make caps
that are great vintage style that were not being made by other cap makers....
go to the beginning of this thread there are some great vintage cap posts but also a lot of boring modern cut caps made by hat company's
until Johnny , Barry etc. spiced up the thread & posted up there work & amazing work they do......
this thread came to life....
Leave Keith alone & let him keep posting & don't remove his great pics & posts.....
no body has bought a cap made by him, well not that I know of at this point
yea he posted up a few vintage caps not made by him in the classifieds a long time ago (I think ?)
so what. I have sold a few vintage items as well in the classifieds

I would love to sport a cap made by him & I will post up my thoughts & pics here....if I have the chance to ....
but until that happens Leave him alone !
& heck what happened to the missing posts & pics of Johnny & Barry bring those back
there was some good stuff & they just started out..........

che

The custom hat makers pay for those maker-specific threads. As do the leather jacket maker for their threads (affiliate or otherwise).

It's a tough situation, and one that the mods think about a lot, I think. With the FLounge having such a large membership now, it could become a horrid place full of supposed members who are actually just shilling for companies, basically getting free marketing to their target audience through FLounge threads. I don't think any of the cap producers in this thread are in that category, but in order to maintain an effective policy of monetisation for FLounge, there can't really be any exceptions.

Does the current policy basically mean that Simonds or JohnnyJ or any of the other cap makers can't post pictures of the caps they're working on here?

Is that true across the board? If so the cap vendors should follow the same procedure.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I'm sure that the custom cap makers would be overjoyed if they were selling enough caps to be able to afford to pay for specific threads. However, i assume that they haven't yet reached that level.

It would be sad to see them fade away from the FL as they try (with the encouragement of FL members) to build up their businesses.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
No. There should be something like common sense. An active member who happens to make caps is NOT the same as a vendor. Give and take is not measurable in money only. The cap makers add to the lounge.
They just can't pay the same price since they don't nearly make the same profit as a mtm shirt maker or a leather jacket brand. It's not doable. But even then it is a ridiculous joke to exclude Keith who sold two caps. I sold a coat last year. Exclude me from posting in the suit room. Ridiculous.

Last edited:

Stuffsmith

Fedora Lounge Artisan
Forging ahead... Here's my new one, which I've dubbed 'The Archer', as it is a non-adjustable version of 'The Bowman.' And yes, this was made for myself. :)

2 panel, 5-dart cap with back band and pleats. 1940's wool, 1950's kimono cotton liner, leather visor (almost 3.5 mighty inches), full leather sweat, vintage UC snap, NOS 1930's vest buttons.

the_archer-1-1.jpg

the_archer-1-2.jpg

the_archer-1-3.jpg

the_archer-1-4.jpg

the_archer-1-5.jpg

the_archer-1-6.jpg

the_archer-1-7.jpg

the_archer-1-8.jpg

the_archer-1-9.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members