Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
jamespowers said:
It makes no differnce to me. The guy was being a jackass if you had a moustache or a monobrow along with your ensemble.
It definitely qualifies as one of the Dumbest Comments. :rolleyes: ;)

A friend said I shouldn't have kept to myself, since men in "polyester track suits and hoodies and baseball caps really appreciate a critique of their appearance from well-dressed strangers."

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Nick D said:
I was walking down the street today dressed like this, and passed a guy at a bus stop who gave me a horrified look, and shouted "WHAT a fruit! That's dis-GUS-ting!"

Yes, the moustache probably took the cake in that "man's" way of thinking, but to say that you looked disgusting is incomprehensible. As for the "fruit" reference, I've never had anyone call me that (fortunately for them), but that is also a big sign of ignorance, especially when the person saying it is a "nut." Carry on, Nick D!

Pompidou said:
*A middle aged (40-50? bar-hog walks over drunk and stumbles into me* "I've gotta ask you something," she says. "Do you have a rabbit?"

*Blank stare* "What?"

"Because you look just like Frosty the Snowman."

"You don't say... Well, thanks for being original. I'd rather hear that than Inspector Gadget or Indiana Jones."

That bar-hog is mixing Alice in Wonderland with a Jimmy Stewart movie. Obviously drunk enough for you to have started a fire if you struck a match. :rolleyes:

fenris

One of the Regulars
I did overhear a girl mutter "cowboy" when I went past her. I think that's it. Aside from the occasional ribbing I receive from my friends about the hat, that's about the dumbest thing I've heard about my hat.

I think it's the culture here. People will not normally go out of their way to ridicule somebody's fashion sense... simply because it's bad manners. If ever somebody sees something out of the ordinary, it would usually be in hushed tones or they just keep it to themselves until the person is out of earshot. Seldom would you encounter any dumb comments about how you looked.

Big_e

Practically Family
Ya know, I've been lucky so far. I haven't had a bad comment yet. I've had a few incidences where some clown walks by me, looks and starts smiling in a ridiculing manner. As I see his yap fixing to open to say something, I quickly zero in on an item of his clownish attire (baggy sagging pants, pajama jacket or ballcap) and so far, they've had the wisdom to know that they don't want to go "there".

There is a large grocery store I love going to because alot of the costumers wear some really nice hats so I fit in.
Ernest

Big_e said:
Ya know, I've been lucky so far. I haven't had a bad comment yet. I've had a few incidences where some clown walks by me, looks and starts smiling in a ridiculing manner. As I see his yap fixing to open to say something, I quickly zero in on an item of his clownish attire (baggy sagging pants, pajama jacket or ballcap) and so far, they've had the wisdom to know that they don't want to go "there".

No wonder you haven't had a bad comment yet. You preempted them. lol lol lol lol

fenris

One of the Regulars
I forgot one of the dumbest comments...

I was at a toy shop wearing an "official" Indy costume hat (cheap, stiff and ugly). I was buying some Indy action figures... right beside me was a life-size, half-body bust of Freddy Krueger. The saleslady said we had the same hat. :mad:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
A couple today, one I was there for, one I wasn't.

#1 - At dismissal at school today, a kid asked me if I used to be a cowboy. I looked at her very innocently and said, 'No, why?' She, of course, said because of the hat, and I then gave my usual 30 second discourse on fedoras and hat wearing in general in society 75 years ago.

#2 - My fiance's son's friend asked him if his mom's new boyfriend (me) is the guy who wears the top hat. :rolleyes: My fiance's son told him its called a fedora. Not bad for a kid who, until a short time ago, had no idea what a fedora is, and, on top of that, was not comfortable being seen in public with someone wearing one.

fenris said:
I forgot one of the dumbest comments...

I was at a toy shop wearing an "official" Indy costume hat (cheap, stiff and ugly). I was buying some Indy action figures... right beside me was a life-size, half-body bust of Freddy Krueger. The saleslady said we had the same hat. :mad:

I can't restrain two Freddy quotes: "How neat fresh meat" or "Welcome to prime time $%&*(.":p

I was walking into work today and a guy across the street nearly ran into a sign post staring back at me. lol lol lol I am guessing he thought I stepped out of some time warp or something. :D
I was wearing my Laskin Moutin overcoat, a Mallory The Dallas, khaki pants, black cowboy boots. I was good and warm for today and I am going to keep it that way. :p

fenris

One of the Regulars
I got another "cowboy hat" and "western" comment on Facebook.

I'm guessing it's because of the horse... lol
baguio02.jpg

LordBest

Practically Family
When I walked into the first lecture of one of my archaeology courses today, one of the boys (I'd say young men if he had had any sese) looked at me and said "That belongs in a museum!" (Indiana Jones quote, in case anyone is unfamiliar) and he and his friend proceeded to talk amongst themselves about how Indiana Jones wannabes spoilt archaeology for the normal students. The hat was a moss green trilby, which I do not recall Dr Jones wearing.
I was rather affronted, as I've wanted to be an archaeologist since I was three years old, long before I had even heard of Indiana Jones. Also, one of the compulsory pieces of equipment on digs at our university is a hat, as it tends to get rather hot in the Australian Outback/Jordan/Cyprus/Amarna or wherever else the university seems to dig.

Oh, a funny thing was that during the slide show of prominent MidEast archaeologists, nearly all of them were wearing hats, from the 1800s right through to modern times.

Dean

New in Town
talk amongst themselves about how Indiana Jones wannabes spoilt archaeology for the normal students.

Ha! ha! - that sounds a seriously limited and pretentious conversation, but thinking about it, how could the 'wannabes' spoil it? ("I just find the whip so distracting and he won't shut up about that ****ing ark thing....")

In the same vein, I wonder if the Clark Kent wannabes spoil journalism for the 'normal' students?

You being an Ozzy, I'd a thought you'd just tell them to take thier hand off it!

DEAN.

elvisroe

A-List Customer
LordBest said:
... he and his friend proceeded to talk amongst themselves about how Indiana Jones wannabes spoilt archaeology for the normal students. The hat was a moss green trilby, which I do not recall Dr Jones wearing.

That sux! I'm doing an ancient history masters in my spare time and nothing annoys me more than know-all-twenty-somethings (no offence) trying to show off their academic prowess and serious history credentials like there just soooooo above it all. Tell them to build a bridge!

Although having said that I would not choose to wear a brown hat to class.
[huh]

LordBest

Practically Family
Well, absolutely. When I moved on campus I decidedly left my brown Federation IV at home. Unfortunately I don't want to risk my good grey trilby at university, which leaves me with my moss green item. Which is really underwhelming as hats go.

elvisroe said:
That sux! I'm doing an ancient history masters in my spare time and nothing annoys me more than know-all-twenty-somethings (no offence) trying to show off their academic prowess and serious history credentials like there just soooooo above it all. Tell them to build a bridge!

Although having said that I would not choose to wear a brown hat to class.
[huh]

AntonAAK

Practically Family
fenris said:
I think it's the culture here. People will not normally go out of their way to ridicule somebody's fashion sense... simply because it's bad manners. If ever somebody sees something out of the ordinary, it would usually be in hushed tones or they just keep it to themselves until the person is out of earshot. Seldom would you encounter any dumb comments about how you looked.

I find the same thing here in London. I don't know if it is 'politeness', 'British reserve' or just metropolitan disinterest in other people's lives but I think you could walk down a London street in a clown suit and no-one would bat an eye-lid.

I sometimes get some gentle ribbing from my friends about my 'being dressed up' all the time and wearing trilbies and tweed when everyone else is in t-shirts but I have never had a single comment from strangers that wasn't complimentary.

Do any other Londoners have a similar experience? Or disagree...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred