Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

metropd

One Too Many
Over the past few weeks,

Wearing my fedoras and vintage suits in the Gaslamp people give me alot of
dissrespect. I give each and everyone of them nothing but respect. I take people and I tend to humble them. I have had alot of people talk trash to me and soon after talking to me they buy me drinks and say they wish they had it in them to be the person they truley wanted to be and live life with hummility and self fulfillment.

I have my flaws like everybody does, but I think alot of people are intimidated by me, in that I can think how I want to think, dress how I want to dress, and be who I want to be, without the resrtictions of societies standards and of personal insecurities dragging down my passions and ambitions.

donCarlos

Practically Family
The dumbest... hmmm...
I didn´t wear a hat untill now, only for special occasions. On the last school´s annual ball, I wore a black fedora and one of my best friends told me I look like an orthodox jew. It´s quite a good association, but it´s obvious he has never noticed the shape of their hats...

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
A cap wearer (he was coming in and we were in the entry way-I spoke and said Hello) asked me, while I was leaving the resturant...Do you always wear a hat ?

I smiled real big and I didn't have a smart tone in my voice at all...."No, I always take it off when the National Anthem is played or the colors are presented, I take it off when I go into churches, offices, and peoples houses and other places that I show respect, plus I always tip my hat to the ladies....(in which i put my hat on and promptly tipped this guys lady friend)...you'all have a great evening the food is excellent here...

with my wife's around mine...we left....

My wife turned around and she saw his lady friend talking to him and then HE took his cap off......lol

mark easter the shoeshine boy

Jovan

Suspended
metropd said:
Over the past few weeks,

dissrespect. I give each and everyone of them nothing but respect. I take people and I tend to humble them. I have had alot of people talk trash to me and soon after talking to me they buy me drinks and say they wish they had it in them to be the person they truley wanted to be and live life with hummility and self fulfillment.

I have my flaws like everybody does, but I think alot of people are intimidated by me, in that I can think how I want to think, dress how I want to dress, and be who I want to be, without the resrtictions of societies standards and of personal insecurities dragging down my passions and ambitions.
Going to keep that in mind if anyone trash talks my suits, sportcoats, or ties again.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Not really a stupid comment, but I got stopped in Massachusetts by a cop, in the parking lot of a closed diner which I was taking pictures of, for looking suspicious.

At the time, I was wearing my Stetson 7x, my german overcoat, a vest, a tie, black pants, nice shoes, and a pair of '20s round tortoise sunglasses.

He said he saw me taking pictures of the place as he drove down the road, and that I just looked so anachronistic that if he didn't stop me, he'd probably wonder, all day, who I was and what I was doing.

The funny thing was, he didn't stop me because I was taking pictures of a closed building, walking around in the woods behind it (to look at the old, half buried neon), taking shots through the windows, and just generally looking like I was casing the place.

Very nice guy, gave us tips on where to eat in the area, and filled us in on the status of the diner, when it closed, that chances were it would be torn down soon, and that we were lucky to have hit it when we did. It was pretty funny, really.

metropd

One Too Many
I bet if it was Massachusetts the police officer was wearing a nice hat as well. Many townships in Massachusetts have very well dressed and strict uniform policies.:)

GreyHat

New in Town
This thread added a great deal of entertainment to my day.
Aside from the usual "Indy," "gangster," and similar comments, I have only gotten a few people thinking I was a cop or something similar. And, the constant barrage of "why the hat?" and similarly phrased questions to which I smile and ask back "why not?"
So far, no one has really been able to give a good answer to that.

Jerekson

One Too Many
It seems movie theaters have recently been quite a good place of conversation in relation to my attire. I suppose the ticket holders have nothing better to do, and I would imagine they get bored standing there for so long.

I come up to the theater wearing my Akubra, brown tie, sport coat, chinos and oxfords.

The guy sees me and says, "Hey man, I like the suit...you a model or something?"

I smiled, and as I walked in front of him I mimicked his tone and said, "No man, this is just me!"

He laughed.

Slouch-Hat

Familiar Face
Yesterday, while walking to the complex mailboxes, a neighbor I don't know pointed at me (in a tan corduroy jacket and Akubra Adventurer) and said, "Let me guess; Blues Traveler, right?" Now, I am a big (and handsome) man, but I look nothing like anyone in Blues Traveler. And my hat, if my neighbor was indeed referring to John Popper's is not in the least the style of the band's vocalist. Just because someone's big and wears a hat...sheesh! Hurt feelings for me that day.

metropd

One Too Many
Jerekson said:
It seems movie theaters have recently been quite a good place of conversation in relation to my attire. I suppose the ticket holders have nothing better to do, and I would imagine they get bored standing there for so long.

I come up to the theater wearing my Akubra, brown tie, sport coat, chinos and oxfords.

The guy sees me and says, "Hey man, I like the suit...you a model or something?"

I smiled, and as I walked in front of him I mimicked his tone and said, "No man, this is just me!"

He laughed.

That is a very nice comment. I would take that anyday.:)

DrQuest

Familiar Face
metropd said:
Over the past few weeks,

:eusa_clap I applaud your attitude, sir. Very refreshing to see someone with such elegance and class as you.
:eusa_clap

bobjones

A-List Customer
Feraud said:
I have a good one.
A few years ago I was out and about in NYC with my wife and son. I was not dressed up, probably wearing pants and a button down shirt. I do not remember exactly what hat I was wearing but think it was a Homburg.
A woman walks up to us and asks me, "excuse me, are you religious?"
Assuming she has a rational reason for asking, I politely said no and waited for her to explain her statement and continue the conversation. She walks away...
What we found hilarious about this person was not only her comment but the fact that she did not explain why she walked up to a stranger to ask about his faith. Had I said yes would things have gone differently? Would she have unburdened her soul to my family and I? Crazy New Yorkers...

With all due respect, at 75 pages I simply cannot search through all of the posts to see if someone addressed this post, so I apologise if it was directly addressed already.

It is possible that the woman who approached you was a religious jew, and may have been looking for a kosher restaurant, religious gift item store, synagogue, etc. She may have thought you were also orthodox, and therefore might be aware of the retail establishment or temple she was seeking in that neighborhood. But obviously, it is all speculation...[huh]

bobjones said:
With all due respect, at 75 pages I simply cannot search through all of the posts to see if someone addressed this post, so I apologise if it was directly addressed already.

It is possible that the woman who approached you was a religious jew, and may have been looking for a kosher restaurant, religious gift item store, synagogue, etc. She may have thought you were also orthodox, and therefore might be aware of the retail establishment or temple she was seeking in that neighborhood. But obviously, it is all speculation...[huh]

That could well have been but I think there was a better way to approach a stranger.
What if he had said yes and was of a different faith? It just doesn't make sense unless there is some sort of code that the rest of us don't understand. Maybe a secret handshake or some Skull and Bones such thing? :p

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
There are a couple of groups of Lubavitchers (ultra orthodox Hassidim) who actively recruit Jewish people on the streets of New York. It's not an uncommon phenomenon. Maybe some of the Jewish members can explain this better.

dhermann1 said:
There are a couple of groups of Lubavitchers (ultra orthodox Hassidim) who actively recruit Jewish people on the streets of New York. It's not an uncommon phenomenon. Maybe some of the Jewish members can explain this better.

Interesting. Perfectly their right as far as I am concerned. I can relate to a lot of Hassidim.
I think this person was probably not so engaged though. Sounds more like she was a little off center. Perhaps we can get Feraud to elaborate a bit. [huh] :D

"you look like Baby face Nelson" or out with my coquette flapper, from teen-age girl: "...there goes a prostitute!"; same gal, different outfits: "...hey, buddy, you payin' for that?" also "you must be Elton John" or weeks later elsewhere "are you Elton John's brother?" - this last brought me to whip out a sepia-toned photo of my ingenue and declare "THIS is Daddy's B**ch, dammit!"...

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Lady Blue said:
Me and my SO walked in to a fast food place on Saturday that is run by some latino gentlemen. Now I am sure these guys were in the party mood it being CInquo de Mayo and all, but we when both walked in wearing our fedoras (my brown Optimo and his black Borsalino) the man behind the counter let loose the loudest "YEE HAW" I have ever experienced. :eek: It was actually pretty funny though.
That is such a funny story! lol

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
RondoHatton said:
"you look like Baby face Nelson" or out with my coquette flapper, from teen-age girl: "...there goes a prostitute!"; same gal, different outfits: "...hey, buddy, you payin' for that?" .

I don't believe in hitting women, but this one is a close call.

Taggert

Familiar Face
Yesterday and today while in class, my classmates remarked that i looked like Inspector Gadget...LOL

It was all in good fun, tho one of the best dressed guys in school called me the man and said that my hat *tribly* was a perfect touch =)

now to actually get a suit...lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic