Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
citRon said:
Well we're coming to 'Mickey Town' in June, and Florida will be getting about half of my annual salary for a week's worth of mouses and princesses!
Better hurry they are talking about raising the sales tax another cent!:eusa_doh:
If you have problems coming through anywhere near Jax. let me know!And if you get pulled over by FHP in North Florida let me too! Got contacts!;) :rolleyes:

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Jovan said:
I think I need a picture of said tie to decide whether it was stupidity or just honest mistake. ;)

That's fair -- but I got it from Baron Kurz. Do you really think he'd have a 1970s tie?
Then again, you are right that it is better to assume an honest mistake.

I recently bought a DB brown pinstripe suit after only trying the jacket. The pants were crazy tight, not just the waist but the LEGS -- dead giveaway. The union label (which I had not noticed before) said 1980. IT WAS A 70s SUIT. An honest mistake -- one I will never make again.

Jovan

Suspended
I have looked at a lot of badly listed suits on eBay. Ones that are labeled "mod" by the seller... and have 4" notch lapels and flared trousers. :rolleyes:

I have been saved by the knowledge and careful eyes of Style Forum a couple of times before buying. The lapels I didn't mind, but having to completely recut the trousers? (Which were probably also low rise anyway.) No thanks!

Doran said:
That's fair -- but I got it from Baron Kurz. Do you really think he'd have a 1970s tie?
Then again, you are right that it is better to assume an honest mistake.

I recently bought a DB brown pinstripe suit after only trying the jacket. The pants were crazy tight, not just the waist but the LEGS -- dead giveaway. The union label (which I had not noticed before) said 1980. IT WAS A 70s SUIT. An honest mistake -- one I will never make again.

That 70s Show garbage ruined the minds of many people concerning what existed at what time. They just think colorful and there we go to the 70s ty dye stuff. :eusa_doh:
Did the pants have bell bottoms and those stupid slash pockets? ;) :p :eusa_doh: :rolleyes:

Jerekson

One Too Many
Doran said:

Actually, BK quite often displays his love for 70's items, and he's got quite a collection of really cool clothes from the era. I wouldn't doubt that it was a 70's tie if it came from him, but obviously he told you it was 40's so it is such.

Dr Doran

jamespowers said:
That 70s Show garbage ruined the minds of many people concerning what existed at what time. They just think colorful and there we go to the 70s ty dye stuff. :eusa_doh:
Did the pants have bell bottoms and those stupid slash pockets? ;) :p :eusa_doh: :rolleyes:

No bell bottoms, just tight all the way thru. Pockets were a bit slashy but not fully done as such.

metropd

One Too Many
A girl waitress in her late teens or early 20's asked me "why do you always dress so nicley" referring to my fedora and suit. :eek:

I said politley, "it is my personal style"

and she said "it works for you."

I said "thank you."

As if people should only dress nicley sometimes and look bad the rest and only some people should even dress nicley in the first place beacuse looking your best does not work for everybody.[huh]

Dr Doran

metropd said:
A girl waitress in her late teens or early 20's asked me "why do you always dress so nicley" referring to my fedora and suit. :eek:

I said politley, "it is my personal style"

and she said "it works for you."

I said "thank you."

As if people should only dress nicley sometimes and look bad the rest and only some people should even dress nicley in the first place beacuse looking your best does not work for everybody.[huh]

Ummm ... it might have been an invitation to talk further. I am only saying this because when I was your age, I never noticed when girls were hitting on me -- and now that I'm 38, ugly, and have a wedding ring and a child, they don't hit on me too often.

Was she cute?

Chas

One Too Many
I once went to a racetrack to bet on the ponies, in one of my 40's suits, and a drunken yob followed me for about 5 minutes screaming "Al Capone" at me.

That's about the worst of it. I occasionally get that sort of of B.S., but only from insecure twenties-something white boys. Boys, not men.

The people who seem to really appreciate my vintage look (more than just a passing "nice shoes!" comment) the most?

African-American women. Interesting.

Dr Doran

Chas said:
I went to a racetrack to bet on the ponies, in one of my nice 40's suits once, and a drunken yob followed me for about 5 minutes screaming "Al Capone" at me.

Good, now I know what to call you when I see you. Heh heh heh.

metropd

One Too Many
Chas said:
The people who seem to really appreciate my vintage look (more than just a passing "nice shoes!" comment) the most?

I think that may be true in general for men into vintage fashion.;)

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Afro-American Women

Chas said:
I once went to a racetrack to bet on the ponies, in one of my 40's suits, and a drunken yob followed me for about 5 minutes screaming "Al Capone" at me.

That's about the worst of it. I occasionally get that sort of of B.S., but only from insecure twenties-something white boys. Boys, not men.

Speaking not as an American but as an observer of Americana that is not at all suprising because Afro-Americans (having driven the music) are also driving a lot of the fashion but drawing from a lot of the vintage roots in the cool jazzz vintage years of the 40s and 50s IMHO...[huh] [huh] :eusa_doh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen