Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Afro-American Women

Chas said:
I once went to a racetrack to bet on the ponies, in one of my 40's suits, and a drunken yob followed me for about 5 minutes screaming "Al Capone" at me.

That's about the worst of it. I occasionally get that sort of of B.S., but only from insecure twenties-something white boys. Boys, not men.

The people who seem to really appreciate my vintage look (more than just a passing "nice shoes!" comment) the most?

African-American women. Interesting.

Speaking not as an American - but as an observer of Americana - that is not at all suprising. Afro-Americans (having driven the music in America) are also driving a lot of the fashion but are drawing from a lot of the vintage roots in the cool jazz vintage years of the 40s and 50s IMHO...[huh] [huh] :eusa_doh:

metropd

One Too Many
African American culture

I guess my affinity towards African American culture is I see how much they have suffered from systematic adversity yet African Americans have consistently contributed ideas, genres, and products that are so brilliant and complex yet captivate the human spirit in the most appealing and natural way. I guess what I am trying to say is that we are all (to a certain extent) products of are environment but when your environment is hazardous yet you still consistently produce beautiful products, to me that is remarkable.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap:eusa_clap

59Lark

Practically Family
labels of feadoras wearers.

We are labelled by what we wear, having wore magill, biltmore feodaras for twenty years. The labells, gangsters, wearing a blue shirt and work clothes and feadora are you mennonite, i am forty four and young girls at the department store want to give me seniors discount and when i am with my six year old they ask how old my grandaughter is. MY feodara has also aged me to the point where people asked my if i bought my 59 studebaker lark sedan new, little hard since i wasnt born till 63. MY older brother borrowed my double breasted pin striped suit and black biltmore once to go to halloween party and several people asked him where he rented his costume and he said , these are my brothers good clothes. One last comment did you realize that hat fitting involved mathematics, my seventy five year old haberdasherer is retiring soon, and he told me measure the mans head divide by pie not apple pie, thank you mike lark 59

metropd

One Too Many
59Lark said:
We are labelled by what we wear, having wore magill, biltmore feodaras for twenty years. The labells, gangsters, wearing a blue shirt and work clothes and feadora are you mennonite, i am forty four and young girls at the department store want to give me seniors discount and when i am with my six year old they ask how old my grandaughter is. MY feodara has also aged me to the point where people asked my if i bought my 59 studebaker lark sedan new, little hard since i wasnt born till 63. MY older brother borrowed my double breasted pin striped suit and black biltmore once to go to halloween party and several people asked him where he rented his costume and he said , these are my brothers good clothes. One last comment did you realize that hat fitting involved mathematics, my seventy five year old haberdasherer is retiring soon, and he told me measure the mans head divide by pie not apple pie, thank you mike lark 59

Are you sure it is your fedora that ages you?

metropd

One Too Many
When I wear a fedora many people think I am younger than I am before they talk to me. My face is what makes my age look younger or older not what I wear. Thats just me.

JEEP

Practically Family
I got my first Indy comment the other day - while wearing my AB-dlx, a long black Driza-Bone riding coat and a 40s-ish attire. As I walked past a cinema 4-5 young guys (most likely drunk), started laughing and humming the Raiders' march while asking where my whip was.

Normally people just take me for being goth while wearing any kind of vintage-ish attire - though the only black clothing (except from t-shirts) I have is a pair of black jeans and my riding coat :eusa_doh:

/Jakob

metropd

One Too Many
Doran said:
Ummm ... it might have been an invitation to talk further. I am only saying this because when I was your age, I never noticed when girls were hitting on me -- and now that I'm 38, ugly, and have a wedding ring and a child, they don't hit on me too often.

Was she cute?

I've been told that I am completley oblivious to when women are hitting on me.

Yes she was cute I guess thats why I was polite...(here myself thinking)actually No. I am polite to everyone even the people who are jerks to me to the point that sometimes I can be a pushover.

carldelo

One Too Many
Not bad

Last week, one of my students saw me in a C-crown fedora and raincoat and said "Road to Perdition", which I took to be pretty sharp from someone only 21 years old. I said "just watch out for the chopper under my coat" and he didn't know what I was talking about (I meant a Thompson sub-machine gun, of course).

I almost never get hat comments in New York - I think there are enough hat wearers so that it isn't so unusual. Yet another good reason to live here...

Jerekson

One Too Many
I went to go see Vantage Point with a friend last night. I was wearing a white shirt and brown tie, khakis and brown oxfords - with my Akubra. As we were walking into the theater, the ticket holder sees me from a distance and says "Hey man, we got Indiana Jones comin' up..!". I gave him a cocked smile and said "yeah" in sort of a flat tone.

After we passed him, my friend turns to me and asks why I always react so negatively to the Indiana Jones comment. She said it is to be expected if I always wear the hats (she is an awesome supporter of my interests in vintage clothing). She says, I should take it as a compliment, not be embarassed, and make a happy experience out of it.

After we talked, I started to realize she could be right, and I promised to try out the new theory.

Since my Akubra is a copy of the LC hat, it's sort of stupid to be bothered by it anyway.

Spatterdash

A-List Customer
MAB1 said:
It may be common but..."What's with the hat?"

"Hat? What hat...AAAAHHH! Holy Hannah, I thought I was wearing a worn out ballcap like everyone else! Thank you, Citizen!"

::walk away holding fedora nervously at arm's length::

Slouch-Hat

Familiar Face
Jerekson said:
I went to go see Vantage Point with a friend last night. I was wearing a white shirt and brown tie, khakis and brown oxfords - with my Akubra. As we were walking into the theater, the ticket holder sees me from a distance and says "Hey man, we got Indiana Jones comin' up..!". I gave him a cocked smile and said "yeah" in sort of a flat tone.

After we passed him, my friend turns to me and asks why I always react so negatively to the Indiana Jones comment. She said it is to be expected if I always wear the hats (she is an awesome supporter of my interests in vintage clothing). She says, I should take it as a compliment, not be embarassed, and make a happy experience out of it.

After we talked, I started to realize she could be right, and I promised to try out the new theory.

Since my Akubra is a copy of the LC hat, it's sort of stupid to be bothered by it anyway.

You and your lady friend have inspired me to take some of the comments (dumb or not) as compliments from the uninitiated. Most people who don't wear hats like ours may see our headwear as something cool and different; and they say what comes to mind when they encounter, what is to them, a unique hat. As long as they are not obviously snide in remark, I too am going to try your new tack.

funneman

Practically Family
I have this Penny's Marathon with a wide brim and a sharp pinch in the front. That's the way it arrived and I didn't have the heart to reshape it.

Everytime I wear it my wife calls me "Crocodile Dundee." [huh] For the life of me I just couldn't get the connection.

Finally one day I explained that Dundee wears a hat with flat brim and a flat crown and animal teeth in the ribbon and she says "Oh I get mixed up, I mean the Indiana Jones guy". lol

funneman said:
I have this Penny's Marathon with a wide brim and a sharp pinch in the front. That's the way it arrived and I didn't have the heart to reshape it.

Everytime I wear it my wife calls me "Crocodile Dundee." [huh] For the life of me I just couldn't get the connection.

Finally one day I explained that Dundee wears a hat with flat brim and a flat crown and animal teeth in the ribbon and she says "Oh I get mixed up, I mean the Indiana Jones guy". lol

"That's ok. I get mixed up when I try to remember our wedding anniversary and your birthday too." ;) :p

MAB1

Suspended
I heard the "Indiana Jones" thing about a Dobbs Westward, the other day. At a hat club meeting.

Those in the know... just smiled. :D

MAB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80