Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

chum

Familiar Face
As I have stated before, I work for a copier company and I am a service tech. I have to wear their company jacket(coat). When I wear my Fed IV with it, the colors match good and it looks a little indiesh except the jacket is blue and the Fed is Carbon Grey.

I have not been told "stop wearing the hat".

There is this one sales person who happens to be the company presidents father in-law who always has a comment like "Who do you think you are? Some kind of detective?" Keep in mind, I have to treat this guy nice because of who he is, and I actually like the guy! I usually respond with "No John, but when you are balding as much as I am, it sure is alot warmer for me."
I really cannot comprehend the word detective when I am wearing a company logo zippered jacket that comes to the waist!
Now that spring is here in St. Louis, I do not wear the Fed to work...they just would not understand...;)

Pera.T

One of the Regulars
Doran said:
until one of the people -- who shall remain unnamed for obvious reasons -- grabbed him by the throat and said "I'm not in the Mafia, but I WILL murder you." The kid tried to push the guy off but he was too small.
Hahaha, the best reply to a stupid comment I've seen yet!

So many times I've wanted to do this myself lol

cptjeff

Practically Family
Dinerman said:
Maybe not so dumb, and not offensive, but yesterday an elderly gentleman stopped me on the street and told me I looked just like Hank Williams. We had a nice little chat about old guitars.

Sounds like he managed to peg ya pretty well. Interest in old guitars, and if your avatar is any indication, you dress retro country.

And you have to admit, it's a hell of a lot better then "You look just like Tim McGraw" or some other badly dressed country pop star.

Feraud

Bartender
Dinerman said:
Maybe not so dumb, and not offensive, but yesterday an elderly gentleman stopped me on the street and told me I looked just like Hank Williams. We had a nice little chat about old guitars.
What a great compliment!

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dinerman said:

That's a really wonderful compliment. (Let's hope he was talking about Hank Williams I, not "Are you ready for some football?"-era Hank Williams II.)

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
chum said:
As I have stated before, I work for a copier company and I am a service tech. I have to wear their company jacket(coat). When I wear my Fed IV with it, the colors match good and it looks a little indiesh except the jacket is blue and the Fed is Carbon Grey.

I have not been told "stop wearing the hat".

There is this one sales person who happens to be the company presidents father in-law who always has a comment like "Who do you think you are? Some kind of detective?"

"Who do you think you are? Some kind of detective?"[huh] What an intelligent question..."Yeah, and that's why I work as a copier company service tech..."

The Good

Call Me a Cab
A few days ago, on Wednesday in fact, I got a "Yeehaw," in other words a cowboy comment. I was wearing my Akubra Federation IV (Dark Brown), and my khaki B-15 bomber jacket, as well as blue jeans and brown leather shoes. Thing is, I was strolling about campus, and by the bookstore, I think I've heard someone nearby saying it. I'm guessing it could have been the blue jeans and khaki bomber jacket, in addition to the hat, that could have caused such a reaction.

On the other hand, I got three compliments that same day; two from a couple of girls walking by, at different occasions, and one from my political science professor, who himself happens to wear fedoras (as far as I know, he owns a brown and a black one, the latter of which has a feather if I remember). Of course, these compliments more than make up for the "Yeehaw" shout. Not that I was really offended by that. Let's face it, for me, cowboys are cool. They're heroes and many were and are hardworking, honest men. I used to dress like one pretty much all the time as a kid, and owned a tan felt cowboy hat, but that's going a bit off topic... But yes, that shout was rather ignorant. Indiana Jones would have been more accurate. ;)

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Widebrim said:
"Who do you think you are? Some kind of detective?"[huh] What an intelligent question..."Yeah, and that's why I work as a copier company service tech..."

Or "Yeah, someone killed a copier and I've been called in to figure out how and who did it." :p

Cheers,
Tom

kps

New in Town
Widebrim said:
"Yeah, someone has been using this machine to make counterfeit bills. My partner will be here tomorrow to interview each of you."

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I had to smirk, but the other day at school, a girl smiled and shouted "Indiana Jones!" while I was walking by to my next class. I was wearing essentially the same getup seen in my avatar; the brown Akubra Federation IV, khaki B-15 jacket, Levi 559 blue jeans (not very classic, I know), a blue oxford dress shirt, black belt, and brown leather shoes (a casual kind). While it was kind of misinformed (the only Indy thing I was wearing was the hat), I took it as a compliment, as she seemed to harbor good intentions. I also got another "nice hat" comment a bit later too.

equity space

New in Town
Dumbest comment made to me because of my hat: "you have that thing on because you're bald, huh?" My answer: "No, I have a full head of hair, I wear it so I can single out the idiots like you."

Hereward

One of the Regulars
That reply, equity space, is just the ticket for someone with authority, charisma and personal power. But I think one needs that to wear a hat at times in any case.

I live in London, where no-one cares what anyone else wears usually, but in the sticks I can imagine it might get hairy at times. Where I grew up is somewhat parochial for sure.

A black bloke (they probably wear more hats than most others here) once opined to me that 'all ya need to wear a hat is attitude'. I couldn't agree more.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Fedora Jay said:
I wore my grey Knox twenty to work today, and I made it through most of the day before someone finally dropped a comment. He said that I reminded him of a private eye, y'know, that cartoon with the duck. I said, "You mean Duckman?" and he get excited and went, "Yeah! thats it, you look like Duckman!". He walked off, saying "Duckman" to himself. I don't ever remember Duckman wearing a hat, just Cornfed. . .

You're right, Duckman is hatless. Cornfed is the fedora wearing, suit porting pro...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy