Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
shoeshineboy said:
A cap wearer (he was coming in and we were in the entry way-I spoke and said Hello) asked me, while I was leaving the resturant...Do you always wear a hat ?

I smiled real big and I didn't have a smart tone in my voice at all...."No, I always take it off when the National Anthem is played or the colors are presented, I take it off when I go into churches, offices, and peoples houses and other places that I show respect, plus I always tip my hat to the ladies....(in which i put my hat on and promptly tipped this guys lady friend)...you'all have a great evening the food is excellent here...

with my wife's around mine...we left....

My wife turned around and she saw his lady friend talking to him and then HE took his cap off......lol

mark easter the shoeshine boy

Very good.

My latest: whilst in the Japanese Tea Garden at Golden Gate Park (SF) on Saturday, my wife was assisting our toddler to ascend a large (at least 10-12 feet high) arch-shaped climbing-bridge and she was climbing it herself. I stood on the ground in case either started to fall. Some diplodocus behind me started humming the IJ theme song to his gal. Perhaps it was just because people were doing difficult stuff. I just don't get the IJ thing unless your fedora is combined with a leather jacket, no shave, khaki pants, and scuffed booties. If you are wearing a suit, it makes no sense.

In front of class I told my students a few weeks ago that someone had made a similar comment on campus. I said, "To equate a fedora with Indiana Jones is really dumb. If you have seen any movie from before 1960, almost every single man has a fedora on. Men wore fedoras all the time before the 1960s. Any automatic equation with Indiana Jones shows only that you are ignorant of film, and, much worse, of history." I think I convinced them.

Doran said:
In front of class I told my students a few weeks ago that someone had made a similar comment on campus. I said, "To equate a fedora with Indiana Jones is really dumb. If you have seen any movie from before 1960, almost every single man has a fedora on. Men wore fedoras all the time before the 1960s. Any automatic equation with Indiana Jones shows only that you are ignorant of film, and, much worse, of history." I think I convinced them.

Ah yes, ignorant of history. We go back to Santayana. ;) :p
I had the same crap happen on the QM no less as I was going back to my room. A bunch of drunks---ok, bigger drunks than me:p , started humming the theme. My wife had to tell me that it was the Indy thing as I didn't get it. I even asked them what they heck it was. [huh] :rolleyes:

Big Man

I don't know if this counts as a "dumb comment", but it surely is a strange comment.

Last night my wife and I went out to eat. She was dressed nicely in a dark women's suit and I was wearing a charcoal grey double breasted suit and (of course) my new Art Fawcett fedora.

Out of the blue, this lady (appeared to be in her 50's or 60's) came up to me and asked, "are you a Senator?"

"No", I said.

"Well, you sure look like you're someone important - are you sure you aren't a Senator or something?" she said.

I've been mistaken for a lot of things, but never before have I been mistaken for a politician. :eek: Oh the horror of it all ...

DrQuest

Familiar Face
Big Man said:
I don't know if this counts as a "dumb comment", but it surely is a strange comment.

Last night my wife and I went out to eat. She was dressed nicely in a dark women's suit and I was wearing a charcoal grey double breasted suit and (of course) my new Art Fawcett fedora.

Out of the blue, this lady (appeared to be in her 50's or 60's) came up to me and asked, "are you a Senator?"

I have a rather odd sense of humor, and I would have been tempted to lean forward, speaking into an imaginary microphone, and say something like "I have no recollection of that, Your Honor."

Of course, the joke would probably have just gone completely over her head, but I would have had a good laugh later.

Big Man

DrQuest said:
... Of course, the joke would probably have just gone completely over her head, but I would have had a good laugh later.

Good idea (I'll have to remember that for future reference). However, this lady appeared genuine in her question. I think she truly wanted to know if I was a Senator (or other "important" person).

I think this illustrates an important point. Most people equate "dressing well" with authority, power, and influence. Of course I fully understand that my age ("over 50") and my size (I'm not called "Big Man" for nothing ;) ) have a lot to do with people's perception; but I can't help but believe that simply wearing a coat and tie (not to mention a hat), causes people to assume that you are "someone".

Now, why people who really are "someone" don't/can't make that connection, I'll never know.

DrQuest

Familiar Face
Big Man said:
Good idea (I'll have to remember that for future reference). However, this lady appeared genuine in her question. I think she truly wanted to know if I was a Senator (or other "important" person).

I think this illustrates an important point. Most people equate "dressing well" with authority, power, and influence. Of course I fully understand that my age ("over 50") and my size (I'm not called "Big Man" for nothing ;) ) have a lot to do with people's perception; but I can't help but believe that simply wearing a coat and tie (not to mention a hat), causes people to assume that you are "someone".

Now, why people who really are "someone" don't/can't make that connection, I'll never know.

I think you're exactly right. A well-dressed person commands more respect than someone who habitually dresses slouchy or sloppy. Like it or not, how we dress plays a big role in how others perceive us, and what kind of impression we leave. Of course, we can't always walk around in suits and ties, etc. There are times I want to dash off to the store down the street for a paper or a loaf of bread, but I do make it a habit of trying to at least look presentable, which usually means a pair of chinos and a golf shirt or something similar. But I can see why she would have assumed you were someone in a high position such as a politician, etc. At least her comments were more positive and she didnt hum the "Indiana Jones" theme, as I have heard has happened to my other comrades here.

Dr Doran

Big Man, Dr Quest, good points.

I did get the "important" comment last semester. I had been auditing Intro to Demography (fine fine class -- really makes history, economics, policy, morality, and the world in general more comprehensible, highly recommended).

About 5 weeks in, as the students were waiting outside the classroom for the previous class to leave, a young woman (about 22-25) came up to me and asked "Who are you?" I said, "I'm a graduate student." She said "Oh my god, I thought you were someone IMPORTANT because of the way you dress! You're just a graduate student?! Oh my god!" I said, "No, not at all," but I should have let my eyes get big and say "ARE YOU IMPLYING THAT GRADUATE STUDENTS ARE NOT IMPORTANT PEOPLE?!" That would have been fun, and thrown her for a loop!

Doran said:
Big Man, Dr Quest, good points.

I did get the "important" comment last semester. I had been auditing Intro to Demography (fine fine class -- really makes history, economics, policy, morality, and the world in general more comprehensible, highly recommended).

About 5 weeks in, as the students were waiting outside the classroom for the previous class to leave, a young woman (about 22-25) came up to me and asked "Who are you?" I said, "I'm a graduate student." She said "Oh my god, I thought you were someone IMPORTANT because of the way you dress! You're just a graduate student?! Oh my god!" I said, "No, not at all," but I should have let my eyes get big and say "ARE YOU IMPLYING THAT GRADUATE STUDENTS ARE NOT IMPORTANT PEOPLE?!" That would have been fun, and thrown her for a loop!

You should have said you were the dean's boss. :p He always looks like he's about ready to go milk cows anyway. :p ;)
You could have also touted your new book---Et tu Brute? Dressing for success. ;) :p

Big Man said:

"No", I said.

"Well, you sure look like you're someone important - are you sure you aren't a Senator or something?" she said.

I've been mistaken for a lot of things, but never before have I been mistaken for a politician. :eek: Oh the horror of it all ...

You should have said yes and asked for a campaign donation. That would have gotten rid of her fast. ;) :p

RPeers

One of the Regulars
While I was out on a delivery at a high end salon here in Toronto, the girls at the cash said to me "I like your hat, it looks like an Oktoberfest hat", the next week when I was back in my royal biltmore the same cashier says "Hey, you look like an Australian in that hat." I think(hope) they were both compliments, I guess girls at hair salon don't see hats comming in that often [huh]

RPeers said:
While I was out on a delivery at a high end salon here in Toronto, the girls at the cash said to me "I like your hat, it looks like an Oktoberfest hat", the next week when I was back in my royal biltmore the same cashier says "Hey, you look like an Australian in that hat." I think(hope) they were both compliments, I guess girls at hair salon don't see hats comming in that often [huh]

They cut the hair under the hats. ;) :p
"Octoberfest? Ok, where's my beer?" ;) :p

MAB1

Suspended
I'm an old hippy. I'm sorry but the hair comes and goes when I say so. And it's not gonna make a damn bit of difference on my hat size.

Although, I will admit... Wider brims go better w/ the Buffalo Bill look. :D

Unless I tie it back, the fedoras, kinda get lost in the mess.

I'm not a mullet man. But, wearing a hat certainly helps in controlling Medusa look.

Best comment I ever got was w/hair flyin..."Classic Look."

Old Hippie is Classic now. :D

Jerekson

One Too Many
RondoHatton said:
"you look like Baby face Nelson" or out with my coquette flapper, from teen-age girl: "...there goes a prostitute!"; same gal, different outfits: "...hey, buddy, you payin' for that?" also "you must be Elton John" or weeks later elsewhere "are you Elton John's brother?" - this last brought me to whip out a sepia-toned photo of my ingenue and declare "THIS is Daddy's B**ch, dammit!"...

Alright, this is too much...Not trying to sound mean, because as stated earlier by another member, it's not okay to hit women.

But seriously...if I were you, I would have nailed that chick right betwen the eyes.

dzacca

New in Town
Today on the taxi, the driver: "Where are you from?"
me: "Italy"
Driver: "oh, that's the reason you're wearing the 'Capone'"...

Now, I was wearing my brown Fed DL and a brown custom made coat. I just answered with a smile but I thought: "You moroon, if what you're thinking was true I'd already called the 'family' to take care of you...". Come on, just because I'm Italian the only thing this guy was able to think was some relation with the mafia...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy