Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

MississippiLong

One of the Regulars
I've been called on two separate occasions wearing my grey jaxon bogart (indycop, let me know what you think of the yours!) "Eliot Ness"....weird!
Also, I have a wide brimmed beaver brand that has been called a "cowboy hat" more times than I would like to think about...I could get angry, but if people notice the hat, I think they are more inclined the think about hats. With a little encouragement from the "life of the party" (the guy wearing the cool hat, i.e. me!)...maybe they will buy one or two...anything to keep the industry alive! I've had 2 friends who never even thought about fedoras each buy one in the last month!

even the "bad" comments generate interest...gotta love it!

indycop

I'll Lock Up
The Jaxon is a good hat for the money but I have not worn it since the day I got my VS from Art. If I am going to wear a gray hat it's going to be "Remembrance".

My brother in law who once said to me " I would not be caught dead in no goofy hat" was over for my youngin's birthday party. He went over to the shelf and tried it on. lol

I may bring it to Memphis and give it away.:)

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
dzacca said:
Today on the taxi, the driver: "Where are you from?"
me: "Italy"
Driver: "oh, that's the reason you're wearing the 'Capone'"...

Now, I was wearing my brown Fed DL and a brown custom made coat. I just answered with a smile but I thought: "You moroon, if what you're thinking was true I'd already called the 'family' to take care of you...". Come on, just because I'm Italian the only thing this guy was able to think was some relation with the mafia...

What a moron. What else is he gonna say? If I tell him I'm Irish, he's gonna accuse me of getting drunk, singing, and getting in fistfights? If I tell him I'm Korean, is he gonna tell me I'm a math major in college? What a twit.

Dr Doran

Two yesterday. Actually neither involved hats. But they were still the sort of comment one relates on this thread.

I was walking to the Art Deco Preservation Ball at the Julia Morgan House in Berkeley yesterday evening. I had on a tuxedo. No tails. No hat.

About 8-9 high schoolers (white, mixed gender) walked by me. One said, "Are you getting married?"

I COULD have said, "Yes. To your mom. We've been having an affair for the past 15 years. In fact, call me Daddy." But that would have been overkill; plus, any reaction like that runs a risk -- not of getting one's a** kicked as I could have beaten this kid and his pals senseless with one finger -- but of making oneself seem too manipulable by the stray comments of others.

Then after the ball at about midnight as I walked to a taxi stand, three Hispanic kids about 19 years old were standing around and one said, "Mr Bond!" But I looked at him and he had the friendliest smile and so did his pals; plus, it is rather a compliment; finally, I was in a grand mood after the ball, so I smiled at him and did the head-nod thing. So that was not dumb but pretty cool.

Irish4

Familiar Face
columbo

i do not know who is stupid and who is not, but one should know some facts before sounding off. case in point,columbo did in fact wear a hat.

shoelessjoe

Familiar Face
Went fishing this past Friday and while enjoying a tall Bloody Mary at Red Rocks Grill, this guy walks up to the table and says, "Geez, I know who you look like ... Vince Lombardi!!!"

I suppose the only thing I found dumb about his comment lies in the fact that I'm a Chicago Bears fan, but Vince Lombardi ... oh well, who's to say???

CopyofCopyofIMG_0641-1.jpg
CopyofCopyofIMG_0641.jpg

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Doran said:
Two yesterday. Actually neither involved hats. But they were still the sort of comment one relates on this thread.

I was walking to the Art Deco Preservation Ball at the Julia Morgan House in Berkeley yesterday evening. I had on a tuxedo. No tails. No hat.

About 8-9 high schoolers (white, mixed gender) walked by me. One said, "Are you getting married?"

I COULD have said, "Yes. To your mom. We've been having an affair for the past 15 years. In fact, call me Daddy." But that would have been overkill; plus, any reaction like that runs a risk -- not of getting one's a** kicked as I could have beaten this kid and his pals senseless with one finger -- but of making oneself seem too manipulable by the stray comments of others.

Then after the ball at about midnight as I walked to a taxi stand, three Hispanic kids about 19 years old were standing around and one said, "Mr Bond!" But I looked at him and he had the friendliest smile and so did his pals; plus, it is rather a compliment; finally, I was in a grand mood after the ball, so I smiled at him and did the head-nod thing. So that was not dumb but pretty cool.

Doran you are a classic mate! So refeened....

bolthead

No Offense.....

shoelessjoe said:
Went fishing this past Friday and while enjoying a tall Bloody Mary at Red Rocks Grill, this guy walks up to the table and says, "Geez, I know who you look like ... Vince Lombardi!!!"

I suppose the only thing I found dumb about his comment lies in the fact that I'm a Chicago Bears fan, but Vince Lombardi ... oh well, who's to say???

CopyofCopyofIMG_0641-1.jpg
CopyofCopyofIMG_0641.jpg
....but, if you were to wear a Stingy Brim, you would indeed. I could definitely see the resemblence.

shoelessjoe

Familiar Face
bolthead said:
....but, if you were to wear a Stingy Brim, you would indeed. I could definitely see the resemblence.

No offense taken, bolthead. After all, I'm also Italian and I suppose the guy at the restaurant could have likened me to Papa Bear himself, George Hallas!;)

lombardi_halas_700x509.jpg

Lombardi Dislaimer ... or, Vince and I sans the lids:

Lombardi -- January 28, 1959
1lombardi-1959.jpg

Myself, this past December
CopyofBethandI.jpg

Spatterdash

A-List Customer
In a couple of episodes out of a television history spanning decades, yes, Columbo wore a hat.
So, no, even among some dedicated fans, Columbo is not seen as a hat-wearer by any stretch. Wrinkled raincoat, lazy eye and cigar says Columbo, and I suspect you know that.
If a hat had been a common wardrobe item for Columbo, modern history might never have had that slowly lifted hand to the the top of the head, the expression of recall and the classic "Of course, sir! It musta completely slipped my mind!"

People say "Hey, Columbo!" because they think 'detective', NOT the character Peter Falk played.
That's why some passerbys have also been reported to shout out "Sherlock!" when seeing a fedora.

DrQuest

Familiar Face
Doran said:

ROFL!!

That is hilarious, and the same kind of response I would have been tempted to give. Okay, I probably wouldn't have said it out loud but I would have been thinking it.

Spatterdash said:
In a couple of episodes out of a television history spanning decades, yes, Columbo wore a hat.
So, no, even among some dedicated fans, Columbo is not seen as a hat-wearer by any stretch. Wrinkled raincoat, lazy eye and cigar says Columbo, and I suspect you know that.
If a hat had been a common wardrobe item for Columbo, modern history might never have had that slowly lifted hand to the the top of the head, the expression of recall and the classic "Of course, sir! It musta completely slipped my mind!"

People say "Hey, Columbo!" because they think 'detective', NOT the character Peter Falk played.
That's why some passerbys have also been reported to shout out "Sherlock!" when seeing a fedora.

Exactly. Dick Tracy makes more sense---except to the moroon I encountered. Then again, they set me up for the Pruneface response. ;)

Uhh, Doran? Remind me not to provoke your ire... you're definitely not someone I'd wanna get into a sharp-tongue contest with. (Double points for having something related to a currently obnoxious insult/taunt without the obnoxiousness: the one about "who's your daddy?")

Abyss, I'd say that means have some fun with it--break out that glove! I turned Psych 110 into Psychological Warfare 110 myself, simply because nobody knew what was gonna turn up next... (I was just giving "applied" illustrations of what we were discussing in class, honest!lol)

Of course, since I had the laptop, I had to warm up for every class with an obvious piece of music form the Dr. Demento files...:D

Abyss

Familiar Face
I'd love to wear that glove, but since that classroom is in the regional police academy I'm not sure that bringing a bladed glove there is a good idea, what with all of those police-in-training about.

Yup, the regional police academy is part of my college's campus. First day I entered that building, it was the perfect noir scene; rain, fedora, everything but the trench coat. Only because I had left it at home that day :eusa_doh:

MAB1

Suspended
My Stetson OR (fedoraed) matches my London Fog raincoat to a "T"...

But, I fear wearing the two together because of the comments they'll bring.

I shouldn't be like that but... I am.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy