Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'mSuzyParker

Familiar Face
Men who dress like Men

Men who are into clothing and "accoutrements" (cufflinks, hats, etc) tend to have a more "masculine" appearance to me.. maybe it comes from watching lots of old movies and digging the handsome MAN look versus the messy little-boy style we see a lot of today. In my opinion, a man who cares about his appearance usually cares about other things, too versus the look of the unwashed masses with the attitude of "whatever". A little gracious living never hurt anyone.

There is a difference between being thoughfully, well dressed and being narcissistic.

In my younger days, when ever I wore my DB peak lapel Tux to an event, I always got good natured ribbing from my friends. The usual references was to the well dressed muscle for the Don.

Rarely do I do I get bad remarks and I put them down to lack of knowledge and bad manners due to upbringing. Plus anyone can be having a bad day and sometimes that means mouthing off or acting out, something we try to leave behind as we mature.

Looking ahead to a better 2009.

Archéologue

Well said, John
I would add that many folks just feel the need to be nondescript.
They wear what everyone else is wearing, yet ironically feel themselves
to be unique somehow. I, on the other hand, feel no shame in
drawing attention to myself and dressing for the occasion.
Mike

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
gtdean48 said:
I've had to correct my son a time or 2 about saying "...that's so gay!" about all kinds of things, especially in the company of a lesbian couple that are friends. It seems to have replaced "...that's so lame!" gtd

gtd: I have to applaud you for taking the initiative to correct your son about that. Back in high school, I only had one teacher who would ever say anything if he overheard a student use that comment. Although its a common comment to hear, its not an appropriate one. If kids aren't corrected to stop using it before leaving high school, there really isn't much that can be done by that point.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
B. F. Socaspi said:
It irks me only because it's indicative of culture and society at large. Regardless of that person's beliefs, it just shows that homophobia isn't only tolerated, it's a social norm. On the other hand, only the straight kids in our GSA ever bring it up.

Unfortunately, it does seem as though, despite what members of our society try to tell us, homophobia is more accepted than most would prefer to believe. I find it curious that only the straight kids in your GSA comment on that (I assume you mean speaking out against the use of the term). Then again, it would seem that some gay people that I know don't mind the use of the term, or that it does not bother them as much. Frankly, while I hate the usage of that term, it does not bother me as much anymore because I hear it so often. Still, call me old fashioned (or maybe just downright respectful), but there is no place for terms like that in our society.

B. F. Socaspi

One of the Regulars
There's just bigger fish to fry. Like our school not accepting gay couples as legitimate at our prom, or kids getting away with much more hateful things spat in the faces of gay students.

warbird

One Too Many
Teekay44 said:
I usually get positive comments on wearing my hats But today of all days I was a leaving convince store and a young guy walking in said "You look dumb in that hat" I replied "And you look like a goof but I can take the hat off." Thank you Winston Churchill!:D

Nice reply. I would use a word other than goof personally, and probably much coarser. But, I love the implementation of Sir Winston wit in your response. It is always a pleasure to be able to throw out Churchill at someone.

Justdog

Practically Family
Your a keeper

I'mSuzyParker said:
Men who are into clothing and "accoutrements" (cufflinks, hats, etc) tend to have a more "masculine" appearance to me.. maybe it comes from watching lots of old movies and digging the handsome MAN look versus the messy little-boy style we see a lot of today. In my opinion, a man who cares about his appearance usually cares about other things, too versus the look of the unwashed masses with the attitude of "whatever". A little gracious living never hurt anyone.
:eusa_clap

Charlie Noodles

A-List Customer
I used to scold and/or correct people about saying things are 'gay' when they mean they are bad. An all too typical conversation:

Jerry: thats so gay

Me: Eh? So [insertsubject] is attracted to its own sex?

Jerry: no pff i mean it is bad

Me: Homophobe.

Jerry: dude i didnt say anything bad about gays

Me: Yes you did. What if I was to say I think you are bad and that whenever I see something bad I'll start saying "That is so Jerry". I would be calling both you and [insertsubject] bad wouldn't I?

Jerry: lol man even gays say it now its ok lmao

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
I'mSuzyParker said:

What she said! There's dandyism, of course, which shows up in every category from vintage to modern hip-hop. But overall it shows maturity when a guy pays attention to how he looks. Grabbing the last T-shirt in your closet kinda screams "I played video games 'til 3 in the morning and don't know the meaning of the word laundry".

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'mSuzyParker said:

After dragging my 2 year old on his sled, chopping some wood and carrying a 70 pound tree stump through the woods there is nothing like wearing french cuffs, my Borso, seven fold tie and highly polished shoes and taking my wife for a night on the town.:)

UWS Cowboy

One of the Regulars
I was called a cowboy :D. I went out to run an errand last night and a person who sounded like an educated, normal person stopped me. "Scuse me, could I ask you something." I stopped, stupidly. "Yes?" "Can I just talk to you about something?" That's when I got the creeps, and started moving forward. He threw his arms in the air angrily "What, are you afraid of me?" then I said "what do you want to talk about?" He pointed at a car. "Uh, that's my car." I began to walk away "HEY! I GOT ROBBED TODAY. CAN YOU STOP?" I continue walking "I don't have any money man." I was suspicious because the guy was really angry and short tempered. That's why I walked away. Then as I was in the crosswalk he yelled from the sidewalk "AHAHAHA. OK! OKAY COWBOY! Schmuck." Or something of that nature.

Keep in mind I was wearing my carbon grey Fed IV. Man I wonder how many other people think this is a cowboy hat.

Jerekson

One Too Many
UWS Cowboy said:
I was called a cowboy :D. I went out to run an errand last night and a person who sounded like an educated, normal person stopped me. "Scuse me, could I ask you something." I stopped, stupidly. "Yes?" "Can I just talk to you about something?" That's when I got the creeps, and started moving forward. He threw his arms in the air angrily "What, are you afraid of me?" then I said "what do you want to talk about?" He pointed at a car. "Uh, that's my car." I began to walk away "HEY! I GOT ROBBED TODAY. CAN YOU STOP?" I continue walking "I don't have any money man." I was suspicious because the guy was really angry and short tempered. That's why I walked away. Then as I was in the crosswalk he yelled from the sidewalk "AHAHAHA. OK! OKAY COWBOY! Schmuck." Or something of that nature.

Keep in mind I was wearing my carbon grey Fed IV. Man I wonder how many other people think this is a cowboy hat.

It's possible that he was just calling you "cowboy" as a nickname type of thing, like "sport", "champ", and those other old-fashioned little-kid nicknames.

Given the coincidence that you were wearing a brimmed hat though, it's hard to say what he was thinking, and considering his mental state, it's probably better not to ask.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
UWS Cowboy said:

Could be he mistook you for the Police. [huh] There have been numerous times that complete strangers stop me and ask, "Officer, could you ...". I think it's the hat that throws them off. It does have that "official" kind of look.

Then, of course, I could be wrong and the guy in question was just an escapee from the asylum ...

carldelo

One Too Many
Big Man said:
Could be he mistook you for the Police. [huh] There have been numerous times that complete strangers stop me and ask, "Officer, could you ...". I think it's the hat that throws them off. It does have that "official" kind of look.

For a while, I worked for a company with offices in the South Bronx, around the corner from a police precinct. I was called officer a lot in the local bodega and restaurants. It was definitely more common when I wore my black stingy brim Stetson --- nobody called me detective, but I did (and still do) get asked for directions a lot...

carldelo

One Too Many
Oops

Widebrim said:
Definitely an example of that "numbskullery" word coined by Carldelo.

I checked to see if I actually did coin a new term - upon doing a search I find that it was coined by Mr. Burns on the Simpsons:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=numbskullery

Oh well, too bad for me, but I think this term still warrants more regular usage as thoroughly demonstrated by the shenanigans documented on this thread. Cheers,

Jerekson

One Too Many
I honestly can't remember if I've posted this or not in the past, but I just happened to remember it agian this morning so I might as well say it...

I was walking home after a church service later in the evening wearing a black jacket and my brown Akubra. These two really, really dumb girls stopped me and asked me if I worked at Disneyland.

:eusa_doh:

I told them I didn't and they somehow gave off the impression that they didn't believe me, and walked away giggling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran