Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Miss Neecerie said:
Actually....depending on how old the person that said this was.....he could have been -entirely- correct in his recollections of many hats.

Boyle Heights/East Los Angeles was, up until just after WWII, a completely different demographic then it is now.

It was the Jewish area of its time (as well as being the Japanese area, the Russian Area...etc), and what is now named Cesar Chavez Blvd. was once Brooklyn Avenue. Canter's deli moved -to- Fairfax from Boyle Heights, as well as one of the oldest Synagogues on the west coast of America being started in that neighborhood.

So depending on how long ago the person was remembering....hats would have been a large part of the scenery.

D...whose family is from there and so has a -thing- for the history of that much maligned side of town

True, Miss Neecerie, as well as some Serbs and Italians. I got the impression from the original post, though, that the man who made the comment was speaking of East L.A. today.

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
Yesterday, I wore black tie with homburg and umbrella to a concert (Handel's Arianna in Creta).

En route, someone called me Charlie (Chaplin). Since my name was Charles, I thought someone had actually called me but I realised he was refering to Chaplin.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I showed up at work today sporting my vintage boater, and my co worker quipped "Oh, so we're doing Vaudeville today, eh?" In fairness we have a running thing of ribbing each other at every possible opportuinity. I would have been disappointed if he had not had some little potshot ready for me. ;)

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
AtomicEraTom said:
I had this loud and obnoxious young woman come up to me at work today and ask me "Boy, was you in Grease or sumtin'?!" In a garbled up form of ebonics, who's poor grammar went through me like a Dentist's drill. I told her "Yes, in fact Danny Zuko's working back in Layaway, would you like me to get him for you?"
Whose poor grammar?

Goose.

Practically Family
chanteuseCarey said:
Most people (except maybe those into hats) I think don't know what a homburg is, so they think bowler...
Yeah, that happened to me with my black Homburg just two days ago Charlie.

The same day though, some guy, out of the blue, says "my father said to never trust a man in a black hat".

My reply, "my father told me not to talk to strangers".

Cute - I was at the mall some time back wearing my Dobbs Westward fedora style which is an Open Road clone. A little boy about 5 or 6 thought it was a cowboy hat and wanted to know if I had a horse. (He may have thought I rode the horse to the mall and was hoping to get to see it.)

dostacos

Practically Family
Widebrim said:
True, Miss Neecerie, as well as some Serbs and Italians. I got the impression from the original post, though, that the man who made the comment was speaking of East L.A. today.
that is what I thought too:eusa_clap

John in Covina said:
Cute - I was at the mall some time back wearing my Dobbs Westward fedora style which is an Open Road clone. A little boy about 5 or 6 thought it was a cowboy hat and wanted to know if I had a horse. (He may have thought I rode the horse to the mall and was hoping to get to see it.)

Do they still have those coin operated horses at the local malls? I would refer him to one of those if they do. ;) :p

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm not sure if this qualifies as a "dumb comment", but it really was interesting.

At church this past Wednesday evening, our preacher said to my wife: "With his suite and hat, your husband reminds me of William Howard Taft." [huh]

Goose.

Practically Family
univibe88 said:
I bet some kid fell off of the coin-op horses so they had to take them out.
543005370_sNRqr-M.jpg

Sleepy LaGoon

New in Town
First Post.

This isn't a "dumbest" comment I've heard, just a comment. I wore my Akubra "Capricorn" to watch a parade over the Memorial Day weekend, and my mom commented that I looked like I could have been one of her uncles - she said it looked as if I were from an old photo. I took it as a compliment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran