Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

theinterchange

One Too Many
NeilA said:
Today my girlfriends grandmother saw my avatar photo and asked if I was with the MIB. :eusa_doh: Gotta love old people huh? ;) :D

Older folks can get away with more, in my book. Though, the older men I've encountered who are clueless about hats... scare me a bit.

Randy

cptjeff

Practically Family
NeilA said:
Today my girlfriends grandmother saw my avatar photo and asked if I was with the MIB. :eusa_doh: Gotta love old people huh? ;) :D
Try a lighter gray hat, and leave the shades outdoors.

You do look like several stereotypical characters.

Florida_Marlin

One of the Regulars
Howdy Partner!

Today I got a "howdy partner" with my silverbelly OR with a center dent, front crease, a blue button down shirt, khakis, and brown saddle oxfords. I reckon it musta been the saddles I was carryin 'round? I get a lot of cowboy comments around here, even with a wide ribbon Knox in a diamond. Go figure.

NeilA

Familiar Face
cptjeff said:

Acctualy that is prettymuch outside, thats a strange color concrete behind me and the light is coming off the street. But yes, I can see the stereotype refreance.

theinterchange

One Too Many
Florida_Marlin said:
Today I got a "howdy partner" with my silverbelly OR with a center dent, front crease, a blue button down shirt, khakis, and brown saddle oxfords. I reckon it musta been the saddles I was carryin 'round? I get a lot of cowboy comments around here, even with a wide ribbon Knox in a diamond. Go figure.

The most annoying "cowboy" comment I've received[while not an insult, more like ignorance], was at a McDonald's drive through a few weeks ago. The woman gave a huge as in LOUD Minnie Pearl like "HOOOOWWWWWDDDYYYY" as I pulled up... wearing an Indy fedora. :eusa_doh: I wanted to crawl through the seat.

Randy

metropd

One Too Many
cptjeff said:

I really don't think he looks like any stereotypical character. The only person I've seen with a similar style is Anon on the FL. I like it.

cptjeff

Practically Family
metropd said:
I really don't think he looks like any stereotypical character. The only person I've seen with a similar style is Anon on the FL. I like it.
Standard blues musician, Secret agent of some sort...

Fair or unfair, it's a lot more understandable to have those kinds of associations then Indiana Jones comments when wearing a light gray stingy. And I didn't say I didn't like it, it does look sharp. But a black suit and shades is going to draw some comments, and a slightly different set of comments when you add the (almost) black hat.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
grundie said:
I once walked in to a pub in York, England on my own wearing a tweed suit and brown trilby and the bar lady shouted at me "Look, it's the Blues Brothers!"

I looked at her straight in the eyes and said rather sarcastically "Yes, the Blues Brothers, they were famous for wearing tweed suits and brown trilbies". Rather than shut her up, this caused her to start singing songs from the film.

I had one pint and left.

Yeah...making cracks about your patrons always does GREAT things for tips and customer loyalty... :eusa_doh:

NeilA

Familiar Face
cptjeff said:
Standard blues musician, Secret agent of some sort...

Fair or unfair, it's a lot more understandable to have those kinds of associations then Indiana Jones comments when wearing a light gray stingy. And I didn't say I didn't like it, it does look sharp. But a black suit and shades is going to draw some comments, and a slightly different set of comments when you add the (almost) black hat.

Ah, perhaps I need a new picture. The suit is acctualy quite blue, although yes, the hat is quite dark. Once the sun comes out again I'll get a new shot.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Doran said:
The single demographic group from whom I get consistently appreciative and positive comments on my attire is black women.

Black males are the second most appreciative group.

A few negative comments from the latter, once in a great while; solely appreciative comments from the former.

I would say that the number one group in my case would be older women, of any background. Yet overall ethnically, a large percentage of positive comments that I receive do come from Black people. I believe this is because thre are only a few ethnic/cultural groups today that have somewhat maintained an historic association with dressing well, and Blacks are part of this small aggregate, especially "older" ones. This is particularly evident during church services, where men in suits, and women in colorful dresses and even hats are still prominent, perhaps even more so with Creole men. (An Armenian tailor in Glendale, a suburb of L.A., once told me that the majority of his customers were either Italian or Armenian. Now for all I know, three Italian Americans per month might have been considered high for that tailor, but as regards the inclusion of Armenians, what else would one expect from a city which is now 1/3 "Hye?" Yet it is true that as a whole, Armenians also still know how to dress to impress.) I suppose that what I am leading up to is that (exceptions already noted) we now have fully two generations of American men that do not know how to either dress well or appreciate it, and that is a unique phenomenon in our history. No wonder there is a small but hopefully influential group of young men who are now attempting to "reclaim" that continuity of sartorial tradition which their fathers did not fully inculcate in them.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Older folks, men and women, can still remember when "casual attire" meant a man wore pressed twill slacks, a sports shirt ... remember when they were still called that? ... and, of course, a nice hat when you went out

Men of 30, 40 or 50 did not dress like teenagers ... and neither did women

I believe a number of these older ladies remember what a gentleman was supposed to dress like and they appreciate it when we "younger" men try to do our part

grundie

One of the Regulars
Mike in Seattle said:
Yeah...making cracks about your patrons always does GREAT things for tips and customer loyalty... :eusa_doh:

I should have added that I had a very strong suspicion she may have been sampling the stock, so to speak.

She was still singing after I downed my single pint and left her with an empty bar.

bbshriver

One of the Regulars
One day I came to work, it was raining, and I had just gotten my dark brown Stetson, so I wore that with my London Fog trench coat (unfortunately, black, so I didn't match).
My hat is pretty darn close to an "indy" hat, but that day the IT guy at work says "look at Mr. Sherlock Holmes". I was rather confused.
I've yet to get an Indy comment, even though I frequently wear the indy style hat, with a brown heavy canvas (Cabelas interpretation of CarHart) coat etc.

bbshriver said:
One day I came to work, it was raining, and I had just gotten my dark brown Stetson, so I wore that with my London Fog trench coat (unfortunately, black, so I didn't match).
My hat is pretty darn close to an "indy" hat, but that day the IT guy at work says "look at Mr. Sherlock Holmes". I was rather confused.
I've yet to get an Indy comment, even though I frequently wear the indy style hat, with a brown heavy canvas (Cabelas interpretation of CarHart) coat etc.

A brown heavy canavas coat? I am surprised you haven't gotten the Columbo comment :rolleyes: ;)

Doran said:
The single demographic group from whom I get consistently appreciative and positive comments on my attire is black women.

Black males are the second most appreciative group.

A few negative comments from the latter, once in a great while; solely appreciative comments from the former.

I am near the same area as you and I get the same kind of comments from those groups as well. However, "looking pimp" might not exactly be a compliment to me. :eusa_doh: :p
I would rather have that than some moron saying I look like Columbo though. :rolleyes:

Valhson

One of the Regulars
Sam Craig said:
Older folks, men and women, can still remember when "casual attire" meant a man wore pressed twill slacks, a sports shirt ... remember when they were still called that? ... and, of course, a nice hat when you went out

Men of 30, 40 or 50 did not dress like teenagers ... and neither did women

I believe a number of these older ladies remember what a gentleman was supposed to dress like and they appreciate it when we "younger" men try to do our part

Not trying to be silly here. Aren't they still called sport shirts? Only reason I ask is I don't know what else they would be called.

Valhson said:
Not trying to be silly here. Aren't they still called sport shirts? Only reason I ask is I don't know what else they would be called.

They are still called that but you often wonder if people think sport shirts are actually t-shirts with a sports team's logo on it now. Pair that with shorts and buffalo sandals (with thick socks) and you have quite a sight when viewing a 60 year old man walking down the street. :rolleyes: :p

Greaser Cat

New in Town
Ok, here are the dumbest ones I've gotten...

1. I've had my black felt stingy brim fedoras compared to those crappy cloth trilbies you you get at Target.

2. As I mentioned in another thread, I've been compared to ska kids.

3. And, finally, I just heard the dumbest comment in the world the other day. I was wearing my Bailey of Hollywood "Tino" fedora, and talking to some 21 year old kid. He outright told me he owned a hat that was better than mine. So I asked him, "Is that so?" He then proceeded to describe this hat as being from the Grim Reaper brand (?) and said that it was pinstriped, like "mobster style" hat. By this point, I'm wanting to vomit all over him, but I still had to be polite. So, as nicely as I could, I informed him that an old school mobster would never wear a pinstriped hat. A pinstriped suit? Yes. Pinstriped hat? No. He stumbled over his words after that and I ended up walking away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran