Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doggy Darb

New in Town
Yeps said:
I got three or more cowboy comments today, despite the fact that I was wearing my panama, which is not particularly western. Maybe it was the rest of my outfit? It was basically the same as I was wearing yesterday, but with a gray plaid vest, and slightly lighter jeans (more of a traditional indigo).
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=995043&postcount=11284

That isn't remotely similar to a cowboy... I don't know how people can over simplify appearances. A brimmed hat and jeans does not equate to a cowboy.

cptjeff

Practically Family
Actually, the vest, the cravat and the pocket watch does look fairly 'old west' to my eye. Not stereotypical country western cowboy, but I can see where they got that one from.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
cptjeff said:
Actually, the vest, the cravat and the pocket watch does look fairly 'old west' to my eye. Not stereotypical country western cowboy, but I can see where they got that one from.

Yeah, I got the "old west" vibe somewhat, although not a modern cowboy vibe. It's a great look nevertheless though. Keep on doing it despite those "cowboy" remarks.

cptjeff

Practically Family
jamespowers said:
Well, seeing as how he was missing the shooting iron and cowboy boots, I think they are a little off base. :rolleyes: :p

Not sure to make of that combination of smilies, but...

In the old west, boots were split between pull on boots or lace ups. And guns were checked when one was in town unless you were the sheriff.

Oh, and murder rates were actually really low. Those famous gunfights over cards? Didn't happen. Brawls? Quite common. gunfights? Rare, and not many fatalities.

He would have actually fit pretty much right in in an old west town, apart from the washed skin.

Poker1882EganSaloonBurnsOR-500.jpg

Poker%20in%20the%20Old%20West-500.jpg

It's a cool look and I'm not knocking it, but that comment was a good bit less off base then most in this thread.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
cptjeff said:
It's a cool look and I'm not knocking it, but that comment was a good bit less off base then most in this thread.

Good point. Some of the stuff in this thread is a bit ridiculous. People referring to my hat as a cowboy hat was a bit strange though.

cptjeff said:

I am pretty sure the person making the comment had no idea about what a real cowboy looked like as opposed to what a Hollywood Cowboy looks like. :p
His hat certainly doesn't look like many in the pictures you posted or the ones in Hollywood pictures.
Less off basee yes but still off base. He didn't have a horse tied up outside at the ready. ;) :p

Chascomm

New in Town
Ask the 'dumbest comment' question to any Panama-wearing bloke in this town (and there are many of us) and he'll tell you the same answer; being compared to notorious political lobbyist Brian Burke. For a short while, that pariah was seen around town wearing a Panama-ish hat in combination with dark sunglasses and a beige trenchcoat. After that, anybody seen wearing a light-coloured hat got called 'Burkie'. I was almost ready to hit somebody. Fortunately Burkie turned up to his most recent court appearances sans lid and the world returned to normal.

This is me, not Burkie:

panama.jpg

It's not like I'm particularly fond of the Panama, but in this climate in summer it's simply a matter of survival.

Chascomm said:
Ask the 'dumbest comment' question to any Panama-wearing bloke in this town (and there are many of us) and he'll tell you the same answer; being compared to notorious political lobbyist Brian Burke. For a short while, that pariah was seen around town wearing a Panama-ish hat in combination with dark sunglasses and a beige trenchcoat. After that, anybody seen wearing a light-coloured hat got called 'Burkie'. I was almost ready to hit somebody. Fortunately Burkie turned up to his most recent court appearances sans lid and the world returned to normal.

This is me, not Burkie:

panama.jpg

It's not like I'm particularly fond of the Panama, but in this climate in summer it's simply a matter of survival.

Ah yes. A man without a hat in the hot sun will be called Burnie. I'd rather risk being called Burkie.;) :p

Papa Smurf

Familiar Face
AlphaP said:
mmm, there is the old one "What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas" *tip hat* "And we're not in Vegas", an obvious, "Who told you? Now I'll have to silence you... permanently.", "I'll make you an offer you can't reject: shut up." (make your best Vitto Corleone voice), etc.

Good stuff! Thanks for the advice everyone, I'll definitely put some of it to use next time.

WolfeMan

One of the Regulars
I got the indy comment with something i won't call an A-2 because it isn't even close, jeans, black Corcorans, and a green brimmed hat with a woven leather band

When it comes to cognative recognition it's a search for similarities (in their mind) not differences, that why they make these rather tenuous connections.
:eusa_doh:

It's like the difference between an enthusiast that can clearly distinguish and ID a 1955 / 56 / 57 Chevy Belair and tell you the differences, where for some they are all 1957's because that's the cool one and these all look similar or the same to them.

John in Covina said:
When it comes to cognative recognition it's a search for similarities (in their mind) not differences, that why they make these rather tenuous connections.
:eusa_doh:

It's like the difference between an enthusiast that can clearly distinguish and ID a 1955 / 56 / 57 Chevy Belair and tell you the differences, where for some they are all 1957's because that's the cool one and these all look similar or the same to them.

:eusa_doh: Oh geez, now you hit on the second one of my dumbest comments pet peeves. I own both those cars and you are quite right. When I drive them they have no idea. I even had my idiot boss think that the 57 was a cadillac and not a Chevy for goodness sake. :eusa_doh: :rolleyes:
Oh and cognitive is probably not the best word for the comments in this thread. ;)

AXL DEMOCRACY

One of the Regulars
I had my Lee Whippet on the other day and on the subway in NYC a bunch of uneducated trashy girls said I was "some wannabe Romeo and Juliet motherf**ker."

Not very nice. But as usual, I just laughed it off.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Last Thursday I was walking to the bus stop, and a lorry was pulling out of a side road. The guy on the passenger side started yelling abuse out the window. I didn't catch exactly what he said because he had an incredibly thick accent and he was in a moving truck. I think I'm glad I missed the particulars.

Now, I get things yelled at me from moving vehicles from time to time, what made this different is it's the second time it's happened. I don't know what it is about me he finds so offensive.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
As I was leaving work yesterday, I got another Indy comment from one of the dispatchers. He's made jokes about them before, and I definitely don't take them seriously. I was wearing my steel gray Akubra Stylemaster, and he yelled out the window on my way out "The Anthropology building is down the street!" (I work at a university, with an anthropology building literally down the street). I just laughed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24