Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The future of style.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I was hanging out with a few of the Fedora Lounrgers last week while on business for Classic Style Mr. Bern reminded me of something that hadn’t thought about in a long time. When I was younger I always tried to emulate the dressy futuristic stylings of movies like Blade Runner or total recall or any number of sci-fi shows from the 80’s and 90’s that tried to depict a not too distant future. Back to the Future II and Tech Wars showed innovation in their ability to keep the looks timeless while still putting them in the future. I think we look at style sometimes as a stagnant thing that doesn’t change, though style like fashion does change. I still think style is style no matter what.

A mixing of eclectic patterns and collarless shirts and oddly cut jackets with a hat thrown in here and about is what made the style soo intriguing. Very now though not what you see on the racks. I couldn’t really emulate the looks when I was younger because I didn’t search hard enough for the kit and probably thought I wouldn’t look good or would look kooky. Mr Bern pulls it off with the energy of it being his own look… his own style. That’s what style is. It’s not about getting the details right or counting the buttons to see if they are the right number on the sleeve. Style is about expressing the true you through your clothing.

II’ve said it before and here it is again… I believe we are in a style dark ages. A creatively stifled time waiting for some sort of social upheaval to drag the old curmudgeoning society off its duff and out of its daily wear of jeans.

Experiment with your clothes and you find the true you reflected on the outside.

deckard.jpg

blade19.jpg

Collar up
Aliens18.jpeg

front placket is shirts tie
spaceprecinct1.jpg

Personal favorite
Gattaca
Ethan_Hawke_og_Uma_T_98258o.jpg

BR_Gaff_The_Man.jpg
RachaelPhoto.JPEG

slicedbread

A-List Customer
Matt Deckard said:
I believe we are in a style dark ages. A creatively stifled time waiting for some sort of social upheaval to drag the old curmudgeoning society off its duff and out of its daily wear of jeans.

For the sake of playing devil's advocate...Perhaps these people are truly emodied by their bland jeans and t shirts... Perhaps back in the day they were stifled and only dressed "well" because the nice man at the store helped them out every step of the way... Maybe I'm just being cynical, but it seems to me that MANY MANY people have the same exact thoughts and personalities...Why should they not wear the exact same clothes?

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Matt Deckard said:
I was hanging out with a few of the Fedora Lounrgers last week while on business for Classic Style...

I still think style is style no matter what.

Style is about expressing the true you through your clothing.

II’ve said it before and here it is again… I believe we are in a style dark ages.

Matt, I agree with very much with the 'style dark ages' comment, but I don't see how you can say that but at the same time assert that style is not about details, but "expressing the true you." Saying style is style is making style objective while "expressing the true you" is the height of subjectivity. It seems to me that the very idea of working for a magazine called Classic Style means that you believe in certain parameters for that which is stylish. Parameters = rules and details. Style showing personal creativity within the parameters, sometimes having fun with them and maybe tweaking them intentionally all along.

Bear with a basketball metaphor. Basketball "style" is Michael Jordan bringing the creativity of his talent and approach to the game, but he's still playing basketball within the rules. Basketball "style" could never be tucking the ball under your arm, running down the floor, pushing people out of the way and rolling a ladder to the goal so you can dunk. You might be expressing the true basketball you that way, but it's so far beyond the parameters of acceptability it's no longer basketball.

From all the pictures you post, Matt, you are without question a stylish chap. I remember your post well over a year ago about sweater vests, which inspired me to add some to my wardrobe. However, you and I dress very differently, even when wearing sweater vests. That's different style, but we're both operating within acceptable parameters.

The lack of style, I believe, is when one dresses by numbers such as in the corporate world, or simply wears the jeans and t-shirt look bemoaned above. It might be within acceptable parameters, but there's no creativity. It's like when I play basketball--I might not overtly break any rules, but no one would accuse me of playing the game with style.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
AlanC said:
Matt, I agree with very much with the 'style dark ages' comment, but I don't see how you can say that but at the same time assert that style is not about details, but "expressing the true you." Saying style is style is making style objective while "expressing the true you" is the height of subjectivity. It seems to me that the very idea of working for a magazine called Classic Style means that you believe in certain parameters for that which is stylish. Parameters = rules and details. Style showing personal creativity within the parameters, sometimes having fun with them and maybe tweaking them intentionally all along.

Bear with a basketball metaphor. Basketball "style" is Michael Jordan bringing the creativity of his talent and approach to the game, but he's still playing basketball within the rules. Basketball "style" could never be tucking the ball under your arm, running down the floor, pushing people out of the way and rolling a ladder to the goal so you can dunk. You might be expressing the true basketball you that way, but it's so far beyond the parameters of acceptability it's no longer basketball.

From all the pictures you post, Matt, you are without question a stylish chap. I remember your post well over a year ago about sweater vests, which inspired me to add some to my wardrobe. However, you and I dress very differently, even when wearing sweater vests. That's different style, but we're both operating within acceptable parameters.

The lack of style, I believe, is when one dresses by numbers such as in the corporate world, or simply wears the jeans and t-shirt look bemoaned above. It might be within acceptable parameters, but there's no creativity. It's like when I play basketball--I might not overtly break any rules, but no one would accuse me of playing the game with style.

Bravo! Well said. :eusa_clap

AlanC said:

Reminds me of the Simpson's when Homer bets against the Harlem Globetrotters.

[while looking on incredulous, watching his bet die] They're using a ladder!

bk

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Senator Jack said:
James Joyce knew all the rules about writing, and then broke them.
I think that it's essential to know the rules, and why they're in place, before you break them. ;)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Matt Deckard said:
Style is Tuesday.
In the NY Times Style is Sunday. Fluff pieces about culture. "Society" "events". Maniac-looking women with bony protrusions in splashy gowns 25 years too young for them and bored pudgy men in $1000 tuxedos that still look rented.

And wedding announcements. I presume there are couples getting married hereabouts who do not consist of investment bankers and cardiothoracic surgeons, but you never hear about them in the Times.

At least the Times is somewhat ecumenical. In the Post you have to be either Catholic or Jewish to get your wedding announced. Two Catholic, one Jewish, every time.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
maybe we'll all be naked. Can't go wrong when clothes aren't around, period.

Not everyone wears the t shirt and jeans look, and what makes that not a style? It is a style, just as those short skirt shirts that girls wear with jeans, is a style. There are other ways of dressing now that are not in the lines of jeans and a t shirt, or a baseball cap. The majority of people don't even wear a hat to begin with from what I've seen. In the future, I think it may be much like now. A combination of styles, different trends, different types, different looks.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
There is style, and personal style.

I think style in general can cast a wide net to whatever perameters you, your group, or whom ever you choose to use as an agreed set of conditions.

Personal style I feel, is taking a set of parameters, you like and adding touches of your own personal destinction to make the look 'your own'.

Everything has a style, weather we like it or not. Peronal style takes effort to acquire, maintain, and pull off. I think there in lies the difference.

LD

Jovan

Suspended
Matt Deckard said:
Sorry about the blurry face

look no collar
IMG_9086-vi.jpg
Not sure if The Matrix will count, but that reminds me of the Merovingian's suits.

I'd definitely own a trench coat like Deckard's. There are some good repros made online, but unfortunately I don't think they are very functional. The cottons don't seem to be treated to repel water.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy