Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Golden Era of Mexican Cinema

*SeaStar*

New in Town
I apologize if there is already a thread on the matter :)

Growing up in a Mexican home here in Los Angeles, I feel as though I've been lucky enough to not only of grown a passion for the American Golden Era, but also grown a passion for the Golden Era of Mexican Cinema. So as I love Fred Astaire and his gracious moves, I also love Tin-Tan and his unique dancing style!
My taste in music is not only influenced by Nat King Cole and The Boswell Sisters, but of also Pedro Infante and Jose Alfredo Jimenez. I enjoy John Wayne in his westerns as much as our Charro Antonio Aguilar in his.
So what I'm trying to say is, I feel really lucky to be influenced by both cultures! How I would love to some day also have a place where Mexican (or other cultures) vintage music and movies can be discussed as this Fabulous Fedora Lounge!

Anyone else feel lucky enough to share love for the Golden Era of 2 cultures?

Rathdown

Practically Family
Yup. Grew up in a bilingual family (Scottish & Austrian) so developed an absolute appreciation for both German and English language golden age films. (Going to film school at USC didn't hurt either!)

There's a whole thread on Latin music here at the Lounge. I've have always been a big tango aficionado myself. And on that note, one of the stars of the Golden Era of Mexican Cinema was Argentinian-born Libertad Lamarque (1908-2000). A big star in her native Argentina, she emigrated to Mexico after Juan Peron came to power.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?54788-The-Good-Neighbor-Policy-Latin-music-in-the-30-s-and-40-s....

[video=youtube;3JZwXiwSIjY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JZwXiwSIjY[/video]

Last edited:

Mr. Hallack

One of the Regulars
I grew up in So. California myself, so I was exposed to Mexican films myself on the Spanish channels, though my Spanish is extremely minimal. So I never watched these movies in full, though they are quite entertaining. I know Mexico has a long and rich film history!!

frussell

One Too Many
SeaStar - We're on the same page. I was raised to have a great respect for Mexican culture. My parents met at school in Mexico City, and we spent the first few years of my life there. Back in the day, my granfather had a steady stream of Mexican actors, charros and singers coming to his house in Palm Springs. He was also a good friend of Antonio Aguilar, and toured with him around the country several times. He was one of a very few "gringo" members of the Mexican Charros Association, and was awarded the Espuela de Oro about twenty years ago. He collected vintage Mexican art and horse-gear most of his life, and brought hundreds of tourists to Mexico for their first time to ride horses in the beautiful countryside on his yearly "cabalgatas." He took me to many charreadas, here and in Mexico, and there was always some vintage Mexican music or classic film playing when I went to his house. After his death, there was a memorial rodeo here in town in his honor for the last two years, and my family made sure that there was some Mexican horsemanship (charros doing trick roping and an escaramuza) and music included in the program, as he would have wanted. He and my parents passed their passion for Mexican culture on to me, and I plan to do the same with my children. Frank

*SeaStar*

New in Town
@ Marc, only the best! :)
@ Mr.Hallack, kuddos on at least watching half!!
@ frussell- that is such an amazing history to of have been part of!!! Born in Zacatecas myself, my family is heavily influenced by the legacy Antonio Aguilar and the Charreria. We attend most Charreadas and Coleaderos in town and in the neighboring cities. Also passing this wonderful tradition on to the kiddos.
Are you kidding me! Its all about Jorge Negrete, Miguel Aceves, Pedro Infante, Javier Solis around here (that is when Glenn Miller, Cab Calloway, Frank Sinatra and Louis Armstrong aren't on :) )
I have to admit not as lucky as you though, to of actually been surrounded by the best!

How amazing to find someone with a similar background love of Charreria and the Golden Era!!!!

Olivander

New in Town
Years ago, I met an elderly woman in Oakland. She told me that soon after arriving in New York from Spain in the 1940s she got a job dubbing American films into Spanish for the Mexican market. For years, all the Hollywood female leads had her voice in Mexico.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic