Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The good ol' summer time

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Ah Matt, you really don't want to compete in a paleness competition with me--I'm sad to report that I always win! But hey, the next time I am in town we can compare notes!

Anyway, off to a training class today. Ugh...I mean, I get out of work for a day, but these classes are always so painfully boring :rolleyes:

But to stay on topic with this thread, I have another summer 'doll' hat that I will post pics of this evening.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I survived a day of training...wasn't nearly so bad as the last 'episode', in which someone sang Wagner in German :rolleyes: Seriosly folks, I just want to learn the computer programs--not be entertained!

Anyway, here are pics of my latest hat, as promised. This one is a straw 'doll' hat:

26_12_sb.JPG

13_12_sb.JPG

55_12_sb.JPG

55_12_sb.JPG

A magazine spread showing similar styles:
26_12_sb.JPG

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Yes, I have one toy hat, which I picked up for $10 at an antique store! It's a plain chocolate brown felt ‘doughnut’, but it has a 'lattice' back that is quite interesting and it stand sout against my light blonde hair.

Toy, or doll, hats are my absolute favorite! That's actually the best style of hat for me, closely followed by slightly larger tilt hats. The style works very well with my face shape, stature, and big ‘Betty Grable’ hair! So, if you ever see one in your area selling for a reasonable price, pick it up for me and I’ll pay you for it! ;)

I also like this style of hat--the wide-brimmed sun hat. This one is from the mid-40s, and I wore it the WWII weekend in Reading. Came in quite handy!
2b_12_sb.JPG
0f_12_sb.JPG

ITG

Call Me a Cab
jitterbug, is that mannequin head yours? Reason I ask is I bought a hat on ebay awhile back that had a similar if not the same head displayed with the hat and am wondering if I bought from you.

Dylanfan

New in Town
Parabuntal summer hat

Hi all:
My everyday summer hat is a Borsalino Parabuntal. I've had it for about four years and it is a very, very nice hat. For those that don't know, parabuntal (sometimes spelled paribuntal) is an Asian straw, NOT paper. Mine is Phillipine straw, hand woven in China, weighs 2 oz. with a linen sweatband. It is an extremely fine weave, easily comparable to high priced Montecristi's, although it is a different type of weave. It is in it's natural color which has taken on a great patina over the years. I know people are rightfully down on modern felt Borsalino's, but they just finish the bodies and do a nice job. For what it's worth, Parabuntal was Jackie Kennedy's favorite summer hat. See it at http://www.villagehatshop.com/product1327.html
I got mine on sale for $100 from Haber hats. I find it to be a very good alternative to the more expensive straws.
Cheers,
Jeff

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy