Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Great MacArthur Debate/Discussion

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
Lincsong said:
I have mixed feelings about MacArthur. Should he have stayed in the Phillipines?; I say yes. Afterall, the British Royal Family didn't flee to Canada. QUOTE]

I can assure you that they were very well protected in London although credit to them for remaining there. But noblese oblige they were duty bound to stay and be visible for the nation's morale.

However, had we been invaded, I can assure you that they would've been the first out of Dodge !!

Dave

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Interesting post Dudley. I like it.

:eek:fftopic: But, I just love it that when people enter San Francisco from the Golden Gate Bridge they pass through the General Douglas MacArthur Tunnel. I also love it that the name MacArthur Freeway in Oakland and San Leandro so irritates the hippie/fruits out here that the transplants rarely call it by the proper name. Even the news media here in the Bay Area is complacent in such stupidity. There is a huge freeway maze where the Eastshore Freeway (I-80), MacArthur Freeway (580) and Nimitz Freeway (880) all converge to send people to the Bay Bridge. This maze has always been called the MacArthur Maze and recently the idiots on the television news have been calling it "Oakland Maze" or "Maze". What fools. :fing28:

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:

I've long been impressed by his father, Arthur MacArthur. Does anyone talk about him anymore? :(

I hear very little of this Civil War and Spanish-American war hero. For a man who (apparantly) never believed that he equalled his father, MacArthur, Jr. certainly eclipsed his father in the pages of history. You likely know, though, that MacArthur Park in L.A. is named after MacArthur, Senior; even though there is a statue of the son, there is another of the father standing with a newsboy, the latter proclaiming a headline about the Spanish-American War. Truly an important figure in 19th century American history, whose legacy was continued on in the Pacific by his son.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Dudleydoright said:
Lincsong said:
I have mixed feelings about MacArthur. Should he have stayed in the Phillipines?; I say yes. Afterall, the British Royal Family didn't flee to Canada. QUOTE]

I can assure you that they were very well protected in London although credit to them for remaining there. But noblese oblige they were duty bound to stay and be visible for the nation's morale.

However, had we been invaded, I can assure you that they would've been the first out of Dodge !!

Dave

Well put, and very true.

Actually, the line was Arthur the distinguished Milwaukee judge grandfather (I), Arthur the onetime-teenaged-colonel (he wore full-bird rank leading a charge up Missionary Ridge at 17 or 18) 3-star father (II), Douglas and Arthur of the Navy (III) his brother, and Douglas II his diplomat nephew (deceased)/Arthur IV his enigma son, who is the last of the MacArthur line and even more a recluse than I am (and I would give high-value parts of my anatomy to have the chance to interview for my thesis, as he is the last living individual who personally knew the General).

At least one source said "I thought Arthur MacArthur was the most infuriatingly egotistical person I ever met, until I met his son." And when you consider that it was beaten into his skull almost from birth to "be just like Dad", that couldn't have done anything BUT screw his poor little forming mind up royal...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24