Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Hat Gear Thread

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
I have an idea. I know; scary, isn't it? :eek:

What if... we make this thread a resource for all the tools and gear for hats that makes our lives easier when it comes to creasing, cleaning, maintenance, and etc. A listing of what we discern to be the best, highest quality, and most user friendly tools on the market. Post reviews for stuff like hat brushes, steamers, sizing spacers, and so on. Rate items on a 1 to 5 scale, or something. What do you all think?

Cheers,

AXL DEMOCRACY

One of the Regulars
I recently bought my first hat brush. I was amazed to see that it really works! Ha. I am pretty new to wearing and maintaining my hats, so I was a little skeptical of this brush actually doing a decent job of cleaning the dust and lint off of my Churchill. But after a few strokes the hat looked smooth! Still very worn and needs to be fixed up, but the brush really did a nice job on it.
Not sure if the brush is any type of brand - on the handle it says ilovehat.com

Got it for $9.99. Not a bad deal.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Hat brush from Capas Headwear

Purchased through Tilley. My only brush. It feels solid and sturdy in the hand, and the handle is curved so it's more ergonomic. It has dark bristles, thus it is really meant for dark hats, although I've used it for any color. It removes dirt quite well; I've used it to clean my dirtiest hats. I'd say 5/5, because I have no complaints on it. I forgot what I paid for it, exactly, but it was from $9 to $12 or so.

Hat form...
p1010001.jpg

Steamer attachment for shaping...
steamtool.jpg

I have numerous brushes & sponges...

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I've got a couple of brushes from a place called Rod's Western Wear that sound just like the ones you've described. They're probably all made by the same company.

Aside from that, all I've got are a few orange sponges (good for getting stains out), and a basic vintage stretcher.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Here is my hat gear...

DSCN0454-1.jpg

It is rather difficult to steam a hat with a kettle that turns off automatically.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Jiffy steamer.
DSC04529.jpg

Hat Flange and stand.
DSC04666.jpg

I also own a number of brushes and a hat shaper identical to gtdean's. Great thread, Flute!

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Bodum mini electric teapot

I bought this nifty device a while back. The old, and small sized version. For $30. It has a few nice features to it, such as an auto-shut off, and that it boils water very quickly (about two or three minutes for maybe three cups). As a tool for speeding up my tea-making routine, I give it a 5/5. As an improvised hat steamer, a 2/5. Although the shut-off feature is a nice amenity to ensure that my house will not burn down, it also means that I get very little steam from it, and to get a good crease in a hat, that I must wait two minutes to let the appliance cool down, before I can turn it back on and get re-steaming. This is basically a longer review of Yeps' larger device. The two sound a lot alike. Man, do I wish I had the money for a Jiffy Hat Steamer.

Later,

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
:eek:fftopic: Fluteplayer, I responded to your PM but can't see in on my sent folder anlong with other messages. Did you receive it?:eek:fftopic:

barrowjh

One Too Many
This vendor is a reliable source of supplies at fair prices, I have ordered from them more than once with no problems:

http://wardrobesupplies.com/store/m2_mjsupp.html

for steaming, I use a tea kettle very similar to the one in gtdean48's picture, but I don't see the need for the attachment which forces the steam into a narrow tube. I get it boiling, and then jam the lid open (lid under spring tension) with a spoon handle, and enjoy much more steam saturation on a larger portion of the hat than you get from the jiffy steamer itself. You have to turn the heat back to where it maintains a boil without boiling over, and if it takes you more than a half-hour, may need to reload with more water. However, this seems more like the full-hat steaming that a full-service hat shop uses; cannot see why you would want to limit the steam.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Good link; thanks! I imagine the point of narrowing the steam output is to direct the steam for more detailed work. So you don't burn the rest of your hands when trying to steam a specific portion of the hat. [huh]

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
fluteplayer07 said:
Purchased through Tilley. My only brush. It feels solid and sturdy in the hand, and the handle is curved so it's more ergonomic. It has dark bristles, thus it is really meant for dark hats, although I've used it for any color. It removes dirt quite well; I've used it to clean my dirtiest hats. I'd say 5/5, because I have no complaints on it. I forgot what I paid for it, exactly, but it was from $9 to $12 or so.

I've got a couple of dark hats that are really dusty, because I don't put them away, and the rooms where they stay have a lot of traffic. Will a brush get that white dust off? Also, what kind of brush do you need? My hat man around here says to buy a horsehair shoeshine brush. Is that good enough, or do I have to buy a specific hat brush? And where do you buy them?

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Yup; it sure will. I've cleaned some of my filthiest hats with only a brush. Horsehair is correct; they can be found through various hat retailers. John Penman has some. So does the link that barrowjh supplied. I'm actually in the hunt for a new brush. I was in a hurry, and not thinking, I used my hat brush to brush off the dust from my shoes. And at the time, I was in such a rush that I did not consider the oils and wax that would inevitably coat it's bristles. So it's useless for hats. Remember, a new shoe-shining brush can be used for hats, but a new hat brush can't be used for shoes! :eek: :eek: :p

The Block Guy

New in Town
I have 2 hat brushes from Penman hats and just love them. I got the dark and light and they work really great!

I make all my other tools for hats. Blocks flanges tolkiers rounding jacks..ect.

I am in the market for a nice sponge for cleaning my hats though! Any thoughts??

TBG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael