Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Indiana Jones "look"

MAB1

Suspended
It's like a buddy of mine said about his father, " He was Indiana Jones before there was an Indiana Jones:D ."

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
kiltie said:
Can they please bring the Jeep back to the Banana Republic, now?

lol lol lol That is funny. I can still see the jeep at BR -- in the days when it was still a fun place to shop. That was before it turned into a generic mall nightmare...

Cheers,
JtL

Woodfluter

Practically Family
MAB1 said:
It's like a buddy of mine said about his father, " He was Indiana Jones before there was an Indiana Jones:D ."

Hey, that describes my dad! I am waiting to do some office renovation and cleanup, but when I can get my new photo scanner connected I plan to post some pics from his negatives with the whole outfit, minus whip and revolver, on adventures in the Sierras. Circa late 30's and 40's actually.
- Bill

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
Originally posted by jimmy the lid:
I can still see the jeep at BR -- in the days when it was still a fun place to shop. That was before it turned into a generic mall nightmare...

:eek:fftopic: You know, that right there is a business opportunity for an enterprising individual. What with the resurgence in 80s styles, I suspect the safari look - which has always been more or less a classic - will be back for a while as well. I think the original BR decor concept could be used quite well in a new, independent shop.

univibe88

One Too Many
jimmy the lid said:
lol lol lol That is funny. I can still see the jeep at BR -- in the days when it was still a fun place to shop. That was before it turned into a generic mall nightmare...

Cheers,
JtL

I remember when I was a kid that we had go downtown to even find a BR. They weren't all over the suburban malls. I loved going in BR and I wanted wanted one of those pith helmets soooooooooooo bad. Were they even for sale or just decor?

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Woodfluter said:
Hey, that describes my dad! I am waiting to do some office renovation and cleanup, but when I can get my new photo scanner connected I plan to post some pics from his negatives with the whole outfit, minus whip and revolver, on adventures in the Sierras. Circa late 30's and 40's actually.
- Bill

Oddly enough, my dentist asserts his father was the original Indiana Jones - an archeologist named John Wood - not the old English one; an American in the 1960's.

Here, all along, I thought I was the original Indiana Jones!

Will the real Indiana Jones please stand up. (You see!? That dates me right there!) :D

-dixon cannon

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
kiltie said:
Can they please bring the Jeep back to the Banana Republic, now?

Remember their great catalogs?! They were all hand drawn with little stories and anecdotes. No photographs - just colored drawings - pretty unique.

-dixon cannon

mingoslim

Practically Family
It was me . . .

Dixon Cannon said:
Oddly enough, my dentist asserts his father was the original Indiana Jones - an archeologist named John Wood - not the old English one; an American in the 1960's.

Here, all along, I thought I was the original Indiana Jones!

Will the real Indiana Jones please stand up.

-dixon cannon

I have photographic evidence!

731512-R2-E148_148b.jpg

731512-R2-E147_147b.jpg

Levallois

Practically Family
The two people that I've heard in my circle (I am an archaeologist) who were the real-life examples for Indiana Jones were Robert Braidwood and James Henry Breasted, both of the University of Chicago. In fact, the name Ravenwood - for Indy's mentor and Marion's father was supposedly a tribute to Braidwood. I don't know if this is true or not, but I met and had lunch with Braidwood at the Oriental Institute in Chicago in 1991 and he fit the bill, even in old age, for the swashbuckling archaeologist.

John

YARVTON

New in Town
"Real" Indy

Hiram Bingham was The Model. But since Indiana Jones is a composite character, characteristics of others were included.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy